Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    cajun            07-04-2004, 11:55 PM Reply   
Well I'm in the market for a boat and was wondering what you thought of a 88-89 Mastercraft Tristar 190. I know it isn't going to compare to any of the newer boats but I'm on a budget of less than $10000. Any info on this boat would be appreciated. Mainly what kind of wake it will throw. Right now I'm boarding behind an 87 Cajun bass boat with a 115hp Yamaha outboard. Please tell me that it will have a nicer wake than this. Also is that even a good boat to be looking at for that price range. I definately want an open bow so the Pro Star is out. But what about other brands. There just seems to be too much to choose from and I don't really know where to begin. I just really like the looks of this boat, plus Mastercraft seems to be a good name. I don't know really know what else to look for.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-05-2004, 5:28 AM Reply   
I think they are a good boat and if one came up a a good price in the UK I'd get one. They typically go for around $20,000 over here because there are onl a few about.

The wake is pretty much like other 80s MCs its quiet wide and rampy but its still a good wake. If your all out boarders then a ski nautique 2001 would be better for you as the wake is awsome for the money but the tristar will give you loads more room and is a better boat in my opinion.

Be a bit carefull if you have people in the front though as its easy to take a wave over the front if its loaded down with ballast!
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-05-2004, 6:43 AM Reply   
If you put enough weight in the back you minimize the nose dip potential. I have an '87 Tristar. I use two full fat sacks along the sides all the way in the back. The wake is pretty damn good. The other day we had 6 people too and the wake was as good as any other boat I've been behind.
I also removed the back seat, built a sundeck and installed an automatic ballast system. Check out the thread on that......
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/86896.html
Old    cajun            07-05-2004, 12:40 PM Reply   
So how is it just for cruising? Sometimes the family and I just like to go out for a ride. Does it have good speed, handle good, ride smooth, etc? Do they accelerate and plane fast? By the way what is the top speed? I've never even been in a boat like this so I really don't know what to expect. I've really only been in fishing boats like what I have now so I'm really curious as to how much better something like this would be for boarding and cruising.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-05-2004, 12:57 PM Reply   
It's not bad. It's weakness is definitely rough water. It kind of pounds a bit. Handling is good, acceleration is very good (for a boat of that vintage). If there is no weight in it, it planes almost instantly. Top speed is about 42.
Old    cajun            07-05-2004, 6:16 PM Reply   
Sorry to keep bugging you about this but how would this compare to say a new 17' Bayliner or the like with the 3.0 Merc. I/O. I think I know what the answer will be but for around the same price I could get a pretty new bowrider compared to the old Mastercraft or Ski Nautique.
Old    dbogart            07-05-2004, 7:26 PM Reply   
corey,

sounds like you and i are in the same market. i have been shopping around for boats too (i only have about $5000 to spend). the answers i have been getting are that a 3.0 i/o wont have enough juice (it will pull you up but not too great with you and some friends), and also i have learned that the mastercrafts and ski nautiques throw a much better wake then the i/o's. i too have been looking at bowriders and considering them (i wakeboarded on a bayliner with a v6 in it) and it was fine, plenty of power. in summary-if your gonna go with a bowrider or i/o i would make sure it has around at least 150 hp's. i think the mastercrafts and ski nautiques are something we would both be happier with as our boarding progressed. hope this helped.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-05-2004, 8:02 PM Reply   
It really depends on how important wakeboarding is to you and how much you think you will, or want to, advance. If you are looking for an all around family watersports boat, a bayliner with a 3.0 will certainly do the job, and yes, you can get one much newer for the same money.
As for performance, as you advance, and start adding weight to make the wake larger, you will find the 3.0 to be underpowered. Also, the shape of the wake isn't as good as an inboard, or as firm.
Because of the marginal power, it will also be difficult to maintain a steady speed, especially when weighted. Also, if you want to slalom ski, the 3.0 will be barely adequate.

I've gone through a few underpowered boats before arriving at what I have. If you want a boat for towing, get one that was made for it.
Old    cajun            07-05-2004, 9:45 PM Reply   
Thanks guys that is exactly what I needed to know. I think I'll be looking in to the tristar then.
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-06-2004, 8:43 AM Reply   
I just got a tristar 190 1990 for 10995. The wake is a little wide at times, and you can deffinitly swamp it when its loaded up. But other wise i cant think of a better open bow for the mula! and the 351 ford will get you out of the water a whole lot better than a 3.0 merc....
the boat is awesome for the cash....