Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-02-2004, 10:35 AM Reply   
Does the transmission fluid circulate enough while the boat is running, but not in gear, to measure using the dipstick?

The reason I'm asking is because I measured it (while on the water) after I changed it last and it was high, so I need to take a little out...but, I wanted to do it while it was on the trailer hooked up to a hose.
Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-02-2004, 10:54 AM Reply   
The transmission fluid will not circulate unless the boat is in gear...and you definitely don't want to spin the prop out of the water as you'll burn out the bushing.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-02-2004, 10:58 AM Reply   
So, I'll have to drop it in the lake and run it to get the level right...
Thanks man.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-02-2004, 11:20 AM Reply   
Dave just an idea for future transmission oil changes. Get 2, 2 liter of the same brand or 2, 1 gallon clear milk jugs. Empty the old transmission fluid into one of them. Put the empty one next to he old full jug and fill the empty jug with the new fluid until it's the same level as the old one. That way you put in the same amount as you took out. I've done it this way for years and have never over or under filled the transmission.

Make sure the new transmission fluid jug is clean before you fill it with the new stuff.
Old     (98air)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-02-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
go to harbour freight and buy a 9 dollar suck up tool and stick the small into the transmission dipstick hole...30 lever plunges later the oils gone! I've done it many times on mine and all the oil comes out...no mess.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-02-2004, 3:35 PM Reply   
The 2 liter idea is great. I tried to do that last time, but got some crazy idea that it needed a little more. I've got to get the level right first and get with the program.
I guess I'm going to switch to motor oil in the tranny also.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-02-2004, 3:48 PM Reply   

Do you have a MC? I heard that they are recommending that now.
Old    g3revenge            07-02-2004, 7:55 PM Reply   
on the old borg-warners, the fluid level is checked with the engine OFF imediatley after you shut off the motor. do you check the level with the motor running on your boat?