Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-20-2005, 9:37 AM Reply   
OK, I searched the archives and found some info on depth finders, but not enough to fully answer my question. So, here's the scoop. We are relatively new boat owners, having purchased our first boat last year. About 70 boat hours experience. Last year we exclusively wakeboarded on one lake that is very safe as far as no obstacles, pretty uniform, reasonable depth, etc. However, this year we are planning on branching out and going to some other lakes as well. It was recommended that since some of the lakes have shallow areas, we get a depth finder on the boat. I don't want to spend over $200, but I would want it to work well. Is a depth finder something I should look into? And, if so, any recommendations on brand, type, etc.? Thanks.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-20-2005, 10:18 AM Reply   
depth finders only really help with scouting an area out. they only see what's immediately under the boat, so if you're cruising over about 3 mph, you won't have time to stop even if you are watching it like a hawk.

that said, i still think they're worth having. the best ones for inboards are the little in-dash units with an inside-the-hull transducer. i think i saw the Humminbird model for under $100 on Overton's recently.

also, the instuctions will tell you to use epoxy, but you can mount the transducer with silicone and it'll work just fine. that way if you're not getting a good reading where you put it, you have some chance of moving it.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-20-2005, 12:19 PM Reply   
Yeah, what Trace said. They are good to have in case you just went from 30' to 6' deep, just to get an idea that the water is gettin shallower. Any of the indash ones from overtons will work good. . If you don't want to glue it inside the boat, then get a transom mount. I had that on my old, old, boat, and worked fine.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-21-2005, 2:06 PM Reply   
we're in need of a depth finder this season too. look at prices at overtons', westmarine, etc. Then go to ebay. I found them to be about $20 cheaper on ebay for the same depth gauge.
Old    swass            02-21-2005, 2:18 PM Reply   
At boarding speed, the only thing they're good for is to tell you that your gonna *#&@ up in about two seconds. They're still nice to have, though. I have a Lowrance. I like it, except you have to reset the shallow-depth alarm every time you start the boat.
Old    murrayair            02-22-2005, 12:18 AM Reply   
I've got one too. Like Trace said, they're a good scouting tool. Nothing more, but still worth it.
Old    hockeynriding03            02-23-2005, 3:52 PM Reply   
My lake is a mud bottom lake. Does anyone know if the depthfinder detects the top of the mud or the deep harder mud? because there is about a foot and a half or more of soft mud before it starts getting hard. Just always wondered...
Old     (sanger215guy)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-23-2005, 4:05 PM Reply   
Don't forget that you can increase the depth alarm to notify you when you are starting to get into a shallow area. If you set the parameters right you can use the depth finder to your advantage and not be so worried that it is to late to make adjustments. The draw back is the anoying alarm that goes off occasionaly as the bottom depth changes. But much better than a new shaft.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-24-2005, 6:48 AM Reply   
the alarm doesn't help for abrupt changes in depth.
Old    pate            02-24-2005, 6:56 AM Reply   
I was told by a kid that works at the local dealership that he uses a humming bird model? He said they use it in what they call the mud hole which sounds similiar to your mud bottom. He said it works excellent in detecting to the top of the soft mud.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-24-2005, 8:02 AM Reply   
Depth finders do not predict the future. When the alarm goes off simply pull back the throtle get out the cell phone and call the insurance guy because it is toooooo late
Old    ag4ever            02-24-2005, 3:19 PM Reply   
I have one that came with the boat.

Whe I get to a new lake that I am unfamiliar with, I first "explore" the areas I will be in at just over idle speed keeping a keen eye on the gauge. This is scouting the area. If you use the gauge this way you will learn what the depths are in the areas you will be safe. Then you can use the gauge at higher speeds to verify that you are staying in the safe zone.

So yes the gauge can be usefull even at higher speeds if used corectly.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-24-2005, 6:08 PM Reply   
Sure, depth finders are a great tool, but I find they're not as good as the old fashion way. That is, when boating in unfamiliar waters, always talk to the locals first, and get yourself an up to date marine map of the area. Those two combined will keep you safe. Our depth finder is just for peace of mind.