Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-22-2009, 8:53 AM Reply   
I am curious as to each of your specific processes for general photo dowloading and editing, from start to finish. This has been discussed some in the past (I've read through all the archives), though I'm hoping for more detail as I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around all of this, and want to create a process of my own.

And since my software is outdated and needs to be updated, I want to start with a blank slate...

SHOOTING:
Do you shoot raw+jpg?

DOWNLOADING:
PC or Mac?
What software do you use to download?
If you upload raw+jpg, how do you file them -- together or seperate?

EDITING:
What program do you use for general photo editing?
What is your process for basic photo editing?
Do you batch process photos? Do you run the batch process before or after editing specific photos?
Do you use a different program for batch processing than for one-by-one photo edits?

STORAGE:
Do you store both the raw and edited photos?
Do you save files on your computer's hard drive, an external drive, or both?

Sorry if these questions seem too basic, but my software is outdated, so I'm just trying to figure out a process of my own and what my next purchase might be. Right now, all I have is an old version of Photoshop Elements 4.0 that needs to be replaced badly (with something, don't know what...) and the "Canon Photo Professional Software". I downloaded a trial version of Adobe Lightroom 2 this morning, but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Thanks in advance.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-22-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
Shooting:
Not sure why people shoot raw+jpeg. I shoot raw, which has an embedded jpeg in it already, and nowadays raw files can be previewed by the operating system without any extra software.

Downloading:
I have a PC and a Mac. Both can download my files.
I don't use software to download my photos. I have a cheap card reader that will read like 9 different cards. I plug the CF or SD card into that and plug it into my computer and it opens up like a hard drive. Click, drag, done.

Editing:
I use Photoshop Lightroom for 99% of my editing, and Photoshop for the remaining 1%. Lightroom can batch process or edit individual photos. It's a super simple process. It's also a great way to keep everything organized.

Storage:
I store all my RAW files in two spots. One is on my laptop hard drive and the other is on an external that I keep put away in my closet. That way if my hard drive takes a crap I still have all my photos. I save my edited photos on my laptop's hard drive until I decide that I won't be using them often, then I move them to an external hard drive that I keep with my laptop in case I do need to get to them.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-22-2009, 6:45 PM Reply   
1) RAW only
2) file import through Aperture via card reader
3) conversion: I like Aperture but Lightroom is similar and also very good. Can't go wrong with either program.
4) Aperture has a back up feature which is best used with an external drive(s).

Both programs offer batch conversion / meta data manipulation.

Aperture shows all your RAWs with the default conversion for your camera after import. I happen to like Apples default formulas and most of the time don't feel the need to make any changes. Obviously the default settings are totally customizable as well.
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-25-2009, 4:36 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. Sounds like picking up a copy of Lightroom is my next step. What are the edits that you still need photoshop for?