Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old    vandal1x            09-11-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
hey im looking at buying a 2006-2007 tige 22i and im wondering if the taps2 system works? or will i have to get a ballast system anyways?any help would be great thanks
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-11-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
I know this might start a lot of commotion, but the taps system is just a trim tab. In the 'wakeboard' position, the plate is all the way up doing absolutely nothing. Allowing the boat to sit at its normal level when on a plane. At the 'ski' or non wakeboard position, the plate is down making the boat sit higher in the water displacing less water. One thing about tige's is that they weigh more due to their construction. Never owning one, I dont know how much ballast you will need to add, but some people say that stock plust 1000lbs is pretty good.
Old    vandal1x            09-11-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
sorry but what do you mean some people say stock plust 1000lbs is pretty good?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-11-2006, 4:24 PM Reply   
Stock means whatever the natural amount of ballast is. So Tige's dont come with any ballast, so stock is zero ballast. Add 1000lbs of your own ballast bags or lead in order to get a decent wake. I am sure a tige owner will add to what I have said.
Old    vandal1x            09-11-2006, 4:28 PM Reply   
so if i was to get a ballast bag where would i put it if i got the 22i? would i have to put it on the floor and people would just have to step over it or will it fit in to a storage compartment?
thanks
Old     (joe1975)      Join Date: Jan 2006       09-11-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
Leo- c'mon on now. Please let me shed some light on your post. TAPS does use a trim tab, but it is part of a system, not just a tab by itself. Convex V, a snazzy term, means that the boat does not have a hook in the stern (as all other boats do) so when the trim tab is in wakeboard position it is allowing the boat to sit deeper in the water...instead of doing and i quote "absolutely nothing". That is a common response i would expect out of an 18 year old. (no offense to 18 year old's but most of us can relate).

And yes Tige's do offer stock ballast, it weighs around 900lbs.

The Taps system does work, please demo a Tige and have a qualified person explain it and demostrate it before your eyes. If you require even larger wakes, you can always add more weight, fat sacks, custom systems, or Tige factory ballast. This is a guess, but i would say that about 80% of riders that buy a Tige never need additional ballast. Most enjoy the extra room this provides (ballast takes up room), most enjoy the better fuel economy (not cruising around with extra 1000-1500lbs of dead water weight), most people enjoy the idea of keeping the water on the outside of the boat, most people enjoy the idea that they dont have to worry about ballast pumps, ballast gauges, ballast tanks, thru-hull fittings, ballast electrical components and all the other items that need servicing when using ballast. Oh, and the performance is also better without ballast.

Craig this is a big can of worms here, but please ride in the boat and tell us what you think. Bring your board on the demo too. It would be great to hear your thoughts.

Please feel free to ask any other questions.

-World Class Tige Rep-
Old    vandal1x            09-11-2006, 4:46 PM Reply   
thanks for the replys
im not trying to start anything im really considering buying a tige boat and i was just wondering if the taps2 system works or will i need to spend the extra money anyways to get a ballast bag.i people at the tige dealler said its great (but they work to tige)i just wanted other people thoughts
again thanks
Old     (bensk8in)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-11-2006, 4:48 PM Reply   
WORD JOE, WORD.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-11-2006, 5:34 PM Reply   
I would highly recommend getting the TAPS system along with ballast.

FYI, Not ALL other boats have hooks.

Tige's system is called the Convex V. Supra/Moomba's system is called a stepped pocket. Many other manufacturers have a flat hull but very few still implement a hook design for their wake boats.
Old     (bensk8in)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-11-2006, 5:46 PM Reply   
I have spent alot of time behind an 05 mobius, and I didnt really notice the plate changing the shape of the wake, even when we were surfing, I want driving, but ya, I didnt see a big change and I was under the impression that it was a hook hull.
Old     (bensk8in)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-11-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
*I wasnt driving*
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-11-2006, 6:02 PM Reply   
In my experience, both TAPS and other hydraulic wakeplates change the shape of the wake A LOT. Sometimes it depends on the model and how much weight is in the boat. I used to have a 05 Mobius with Gravity II ballast and the wakeplate changed my wake dramatically. And its not a hooked hull.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-11-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
if you're looking for a wakeboard boat, why aren't you looking at the 22ve instead of the 22i?

I drove an 07 Moomba LSV and the wake plate didn't appear to do much to the wake but I wasn't in the water to feel the difference, but I could definitely feel the bow raise and lower making riding the chop a little better.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-11-2006, 9:40 PM Reply   
If you guys don't think that TAPS affects the wake, you are probably messing with a trim tab on another brand of boat.

Before you just spout off bad information, go ride a 22V with stock ballast, and toy with the TAPS system. It makes WORLD of different in the wake characteristic. The most change I can see is in the peakiness of the wake, as well as the steepness near the top. It most definitly changes the way the boat sits in the water, which is pretty much the Tige claim to fame.

Whether or not it is the best way to shape the wake is debateable. However, if you have any experience with it, the TAPS system has a HUGE impact on what the wake looks like.
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       09-12-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
My personal demo in 04 was the 22i with factory ballast. As far as the inboards go I think it is the best in the Tige lineup, I love the way it drives and handles but the wake wasn't as large as my 24V demo without ballast but still a great boat and quite a bit cheaper than a 22Ve.
Old     (grampsrider)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-12-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
get the optional tige ballast. that should be a good start but you might have to add a little more weight
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-12-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
Yes, taps makes a huge a difference. And so does a trim tab. That doesnt actually mean that in the 'wakeboard position' it is doing anything. The wakeboarding taps position is all the way up, allowing the boat to sit naturally in the water. Ok, so the hull is different than most, you are still paying for taps as an extra option (or is it standard on all their boats)? If it is an option, than you a paying for a fancy trim tab.

(Message edited by malibuboarder75 on September 12, 2006)
Old    bogeyboy            09-12-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
I have owned a Tige 22I for the last several years. I loved the boat! With 8 people in the boat the wake was plenty for even pretty advanced riders doing pretty advanced tricks (backrolls, Tantrums, wake to wake 360, raley, no problem) If we only had 2-3 in the boat, I would add about 1,000 pounds of ballast.

Before that boat I owned a Supra and I just recently sold the Tige and bought a new Supra 24SSV. So I have personal experience with both boats. The wakeplate on the Supra is VERY different than TAPS on the Tige. TAPS definatly changes the way the Tige rides in the water and makes the wake much larger or smaller. On the Supra, the wakeplate changes the shape of the wake, but does not change its size substantially.

I am not saying one is better than the other, but they are definately different systems.

Both boats are great. Just different ways to accomplish the same thing.