Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-02-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
Here is a pic of the layout of my boat

topboat

I was thinking of putting a tube sac in the ski locker, it will extend under the floor into the front of the boat...if I put another tube in the floor area in the front of the boat am I going to be okay? or should I load the front in the storage under the seats.

The back is interesting..I would like to put the weight in the storage, but the area under the back seat is limited...I can put weight to the left of the engine (looking at the picture) but because of the transome walkthough there is nowhere to put weight on that side...

Thanks in advance for your opinons!
Old     (dhr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-02-2006, 2:46 PM Reply   
Put it in the front one big 600lbs sack right in the walk way , this will help the boat hold speed and it will make a wake .put the sack so it is touching the cup holders in the front
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-02-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
Only one sac? Nothing in the back?
Old     (c4avalanchen)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-03-2006, 1:59 AM Reply   
Yeah, do what Dave said, then trim the sterndrive up about 1/4 when your planed out. There is already enough weight in the back because of the engine and sterndrive. This should get you a decent wake.
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-03-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
So I wanted a bigger wake, and I thought that loading the front cleaned it up and loading in the back made it bigger and steeper...
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-03-2006, 8:51 AM Reply   
here is a pic of my wake

wake
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-05-2006, 6:48 AM Reply   
any other opinions??
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-05-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
They're right about the front. Just like pretty much everyone else who has ever posted on the topic of weighing down an I/O. The problem with putting weight in the back of an I/O is that it's already pretty heavy back there and you'll never plane with even more weight back there. You need some in the front to offset this. The usual ratio I see people throw out is 60% front to 40% rear. The usual ratio I see in action is 70% to 75% of the weight up front and the rest in the back or ski locker (usually the ski locker).

In my experience, everyone but the spotter likes to sit in the back so I don't put weight back there at all since that adds 300-500lbs right there.

"So I wanted a bigger wake, and I thought that loading the front cleaned it up and loading in the back made it bigger and steeper..."

I/Os don't work that way. I guess they technically do but you're balling more than wake size. You're also battling getting the boat on plane, getting the trim right, and pushing a lot of weight on plane with higher gearing than you'll find on a true inboard.

You are of course free to ignore the advice here but I warn you that if you do you'll be spending an awful lot of time figuring out that most folks on this group do know how to get the most wake out of a boat.
Old     (derf1956)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-05-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
My boat is similar to yours.(with the walk thru in right rear). I agree with the others. I have a 440 lb launch pad in the ski locker and put the other twin (440 lb) in the front area to help with planing on take off. I have experimented with trim and found that 1/4 - 1/2 on the trim gauge will raise the wake AND clean the top edge of it. The pic of your wake reminded me of my wake before I played with the trim. Good luck
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-05-2006, 5:21 PM Reply   
Thanks, I am not ignoring any of the input just wanted to make sure my intentions were clear.

It makes total sense with the weight of the motor and outdrive in the back to put most of the weight in the front, but I had always heard otherwise.

Right now when I trim it up the front starts bouncing, so I can use little to no trim (outdrive all the way down) So I assume with 1000+ lbs in the front it wont do that...and going down to a 17 pitch prop.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-06-2006, 5:46 AM Reply   
That bouncing is called porpoising. If that's happening, putting weight up front will help some. A differently pitched prop will not help that at all but it will help your hole shot. The best solution to take care of porpoising is to buy either a hyrodofil stabilizer or trim tabs. You won't need both but either will help you stay on plane better.

I would advise fixing your porpoising issue before you tackle the wake. Whether you fix that by stabilizer, trim tabs, or front weight is up to you. Any of those solutions will work.
Old    d_fresh            09-06-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
If you are interested, I have a FlyHigh 750lb fat sack for sale!? $100 + shipping. www.barefootinternational.com Compare new to slightly used price.
Old     (kgoings)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-06-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
Doug your email doesnt work....