Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-25-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
Where does everyone put their subs and amps?! I getting ready to put my system in, and don't know exactly where to put everything. Please show pics if you have them. Thanks.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-25-2006, 6:24 PM Reply   
i love the storage of my 21v so did not want to put the sub in the storage area... i put a slot ported kicker L7 under the cockpit... it hits hard. let me know if you have any questions... sorry no pics cause I am out of town....
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-25-2006, 8:39 PM Reply   
Diggs, yeah man, I was looking at that space under the driver seat. Is that where your talking? If you could get me some pics when you get back that would be sick. Oh, here is a pic of my wake from this morning, in 5-6ft of water. I hadn't had a good one to post. That's at 75', at a GPS'd 24.2. Upload
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-25-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
i have a lot of tylers stereo pictures I can post later tonight, it is sick, and I do think that the drivers foot area is pretty prime.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-25-2006, 9:15 PM Reply   
Yeah me too. I don't want to take up any of the room where my feet go. I don't know if a sub will fit under the driver seat. I am hoping though.
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-25-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
Tylers sub is in the foot area. Ill post a couple pictures in a minute. His foot space is still usable... and the heater vent got moved closer which is nice too.
Old     (trainwreck)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-25-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
I have an 06 21V. The stock amp for tower speakers, which I had them take off (6.5" crap) is mounted against the wall inside the door of the battery compartment. When sitting in the driver's seat the opening door that is directly to your left. The amp is on the wall that the left front seat back support is mounted to.

I have a Kicker Comp VR 12" sub in an old enclosure that was in my attic. It looks like this: / \ <- speaker sits there. I removed the wall (and put it back of course) that the flashlight hangs on. Esentially if you took out the front right playpen seat cushion out you could unplug the wires. I used about 3 feet of wire from the amp to the sub box and zip tied it to the stock harness that runs over the front ballast.

In a stock 21V with the 10" sub added as an option my sub is directly behind that spot/wall. I will try to get pictures of this for you if my description is incomplete. The boat is in storage, otherwise I'd have photos now. :-)

I used no storage space, took up no foot space, and if the boat is sitting out no one can find the sub. The sound is good, I would like to have more, but I find myself turning it down to chat with my passengers more than we jam.

(Message edited by trainwreck on August 25, 2006)
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-25-2006, 9:51 PM Reply   
Here you go bbr.

Upload
Upload
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
Very nice thanks guys.

Sam-- do you know how he actually mounted the amps? I am weary of just driving some mounting screws into the seat backs because I don't know if the will poke through the other side. Diggs set up is how I was origianlly thinking of doin it.

Do you know how big the box is behind the kick plate for the sub?

Marcus-- can you post some pics of you set up as well?
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-26-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
When I ordered my boat, I ordered a heater. The factory however, forgot to put it in. So my dealer is having to do it after the holiday. I am just wondering how much room behind the kickplate there really is once the heater is in.
Old     (bull)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-27-2006, 7:03 PM Reply   
BBR - We meet again on another supra thread :-) Even though I've got an ssv I thought I throw a couple more pics/ideas your way.

Here's a JL Audio 12w6v2 mounted under the steering console. The box dimensions are 9" deep, 15 1/2" tall, and 23" wide. The box is made out of 3/4 mdf and then I coated it with 3 coats of the herculiner bed liner material to waterproof it. I still have the heater to clean up but that'll be later:
Upload

This is a pic of the amp rack that is installed in the passenger side compartment tight to the hull. The rack itself is 3/4 mdf w/ 3 coats of primer and vinyled. All components were T'nutted to the rack then I fastened the whole rack to the tower bolts with a couple L brackets. Your tower is different but it's a great location as you don't lose space and you don't have to worry about water. I've got an acrylic panel that will cover the whole rack coming soon and then I'll put the covers on the amps as well.
Upload

This final pic is taken from up by the battery and shows how the other amp is tucked behind the side seat.

Upload

The amps are rockford - T5002 pushing 500 rms to the JL 12 (it's a dual 4 ohm putting the amp at 2ohm mono) and a P4004 pushing 100 to each of the towers and 100 to the front and rear boat speakers.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-27-2006, 7:20 PM Reply   
Ryan,
I really like the way you used the tower bolts to hold the rack up against the side wall. Great idea. Next season (when I need to make a new amp board because I'm adding new tower speakers) I am going to do exactly what you did. Do you have you any more install advice for it? I have a 04 Launch.
Old     (bull)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-27-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
Ronia -

The first thing I did was spec up an amp rack with cardboard. After that I went to 1/4" ply version to see if it would still fit through the opening. Everything was then assembled and pre-wired before I slid it thought the opening. With everything on that rack I had 1/2" to work with and struggling with a 50lb rack sucked. Once in place though it was really worth it.

About the only regrets are that I didn't use stainless on some of the hardware. Although it never gets wet in there it's a boat so I wish I would have. If you want any more pics, dimensions, or have any other questions just drop me a line.

Ryan
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-27-2006, 7:59 PM Reply   
Ryan-- I like how you used the tower bolts. Pretty slick. Did you use the L-brackets to secure the rack to the floor too? I couldn't figure out just how to mount the amps without putting screws through the seat backs, or throught the walkway. I'll have to look at my tower bolts to see if that could be a possibility. I'm going to be putting my sub where you and Diggs have yours. I just have to wait to get my heater put in, in a couple weeks.
Old     (bull)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-27-2006, 8:13 PM Reply   
BBR - Yep I also used a couple on the floor to keep it from moving at all. I'd recommend using short stainless screws though as I think there might be a gas tank under there somewhere.

The only other thing to know about the sub - I have to pull my seat to get the sub in and out. The other day I blew a fuse on the rear ballast and had to wrestle with that thing to get a new one in. Otherwise it's a great location and I don't even notice the loss of leg room.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-27-2006, 10:17 PM Reply   
bbr,
look for newty on this site... he might chime in.. he is the one that did my slot ported sub.

yeah be careful on the port side of the boat where ryan did his. do it like he did with the tower mounts cause it is not very thick fiberglass there and it will poke through....
oh yeah and here is another wake pic... oldy, but a goody... been showed here a few times... we need to get the camera back out for new ones...Upload
Old     (bull)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-27-2006, 10:39 PM Reply   
Hopefully nobody got the idea to screw to the fiberglass from my last post - don't do that cause it will go through! Here's a closeup pic of my mount to the tower bolt (I've got a similar L mount in the rear):

Upload
Old     (_jason_)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-27-2006, 10:51 PM Reply   
Ryan, I did the same exact thing on my boat. Turned out great. Ill have to take some pics and post em.
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-28-2006, 6:26 AM Reply   
Is it safe/smart to have one 200 amp fuse with three positive leads? Would it not be better to protect each circuit with its own fuse?
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-28-2006, 6:57 AM Reply   
Diggs-- How are your amps mounted? It would be really tricky to mount mine like that because I only have the one tower mount in that area, not two like the 04 SSV's.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-28-2006, 7:25 AM Reply   
i have 3 and 2 are mounted on the wall on the otherside of the walkthrough and the other one is mounted on a backing and then up against the back of the front seat as seen in the pics above. nothing went through the cushions.... maybe newty will see this and say what size screw he used etc....
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-28-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
more from a 22 SSVUpload
Upload
Upload
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-28-2006, 7:46 AM Reply   
ask the dealer where the fiberglass is reinforced for this...there is a spot..

if not, get some plexus and lexan strips and place under the carpet to have a place where you can attach a amp board
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-28-2006, 4:12 PM Reply   
Adam-- how long are the screws that you used to mount the amps to the side wall?

Dude you have some serious power man! I am looking to only put in two amps, and I thought that would be perfect. I can only imagine how it sounds.
Old     (dhands88)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-28-2006, 4:37 PM Reply   
hey adam sweet setup. my only question is the top picture of the three you mounted the amp to the thin wall of fiberglass that is exposed in the walk thru what did you use to secure that amp. what are you pushing with all those amps.

Got a sweet idea on 2005 supra 21v battery replacement will post pics soon
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-28-2006, 6:44 PM Reply   
Tooks some pics this afternoon. I hate taking out the curved cushion on my 21V and thought moving the batteries back under the seat would free up the storage area. I'll pull the handles off the batteries when all setup and cover it with 1/2" plexi. The LEDs under the fuses and distro blocks quit working (probably my wonderful soldering technique)...

Upload
Upload
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-28-2006, 6:54 PM Reply   
doug that is great....
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-28-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
Flames under glass
Upload
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-28-2006, 7:55 PM Reply   
Doug, that is a great idea, very nice set up. I see that you mounted the amps to the wall. I have to know, how exactly did you mount them? What kind of screws did you use? I would think that the fiberglass is pretty thin.
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-28-2006, 8:27 PM Reply   
I cut three piece of MDF to size and then mocked it up with the amps on the ground. I used T-nuts and some bolts to mount the amps. Trace the pieces onto some cardboard and use the template to transfer the rack shape onto the carpet. Carefully trim the carpet so that the rack pieces fit flush against the hull. Note that the 21V hull sides are flat enough that kerfing of the blocks isn't necessary. Coat the MDF in epoxy resin, let cure, then paint/carpet/line-x whatever. Mount the blocks to the hull using Liquid Nails or similiar adhesive. Nothing is actually screwed into the hull.

My biggest complaint about the factory amp set up was the inverted position when bolted to the front seat. Load a couple bags, surfboard, wakeboard, the amp would cook. Problem solved since nothing gets close to the amps now. I was also thinking that a third blue top could be mounted under that seat if the wiring was moved onto the amp rack like Ryan or Adam have done.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-29-2006, 6:35 AM Reply   
BBR - I wanna say the screws are one inch drwall screws?? Not 100% sure as I installed everything a long time ago. Typical screws I woudl use to mount anything else.

Danny - I did not screw into the fiberglass. I oulled back the carpet on the wall and put a piece of 3/4 MDF (resined) and liquid nailed it to the wall. I also have a piece of metal strap that makes and L type bracket and screwed to the floor. I thne reglued the carpet to the MDF this way it appears like the amps are just screwed into the fiberglass hull.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-29-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (dhands88)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-29-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
hey doug that is exactly what i did with my batterys never use that area cause such a pain to get to open up compartment completly.

Adam- That solves it all that is were my subwoofer amp is getting mounted excellent idea.
what model supra do you have it doesnt look like the 21v if they fit you should move batt. under sit like doug has posted free up room for you to have 5 more amps. thanks for info and what exactly are you pushing with all that power. hey just a thought i mounted the cd changer up were you have your fire exting. still accesible and looks like it belongs there. hey thanks for all the pics will post mine tonight hopefully.
Old     (dhands88)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-29-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
another quick question with supra 21v owners what is the biggest bag that will fit up front and back compartments and where is the best place to get my hands on them fairly cheap.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-29-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
the fly high 1000lb bag (i believe it is actually 1150lbs, but marketed as the 1000)
Your dealer will have it. It will pop the front cushion up a bit, but no big deal
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-29-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
Danny, I just ordered the bag diggs is talking about (it's actually a fly high custom sac) made for skier's choice.....but my dealer sells them for $365.

I have the 04 22SSV. My batt's will nto fit under any seats, the 22 is alot shollower than the 21V.

One of hte audiobahn amps needs ot be taken out , I just hadn't had time. They used to push a pair of NVS 1010's , I've since switched to 4 pro 80's. polk interior speakers, and 3 jl 10's (1 w6, 2 w3's)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-29-2006, 1:16 PM Reply   
In my last picture you'll see the changer I sometimes use. My cd player will skip most of the time b/c of the bass, the cd changer doesn't skip at all. It's the only reason I keep it in there,
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
What are people using to attach the wires along the fiberglass? I have an amp on one side and batteries on another, and have no luck keeping my wirestays glues to the fiberglass.

I have tried liquid nails and superglue....it will hold for a while and then come off.

I was able to get the liquid nails to hold the wood on the the fiberglass under the carpet, the mounted the amp to the that. I just can't keep those little wire guide things to stay. Should I be using something besides those to run the wires? Thanks!
Old     (usostyle)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-02-2006, 11:43 PM Reply   
I have one of my amps, JBL BPX1100.1 monoblock decent size, 'reversed mounted' on the the passengers side backrest, similar to Doug H's 2 amps he has mounted on those black mounts, mine is on mounted to the opposite wall, the wall in his pick where you see the long bolt sticking out. (best way i can describe it?). I'll post pics tomorrow. Another amp, soundstream vangogh 400.2, is mounted on the reverse side of the removable kick panel by the drivers feet. I did however give up a bunch of storage space for my sub box in the storage area under the dry box and have my 3rd amp soundstream vangogh 1600.2 mounted to it, can still store things on top of it because I have the amp mounted on the side of the box and the subs and ports firing on the opposite side. The top of the sub box still has about 8 inches or so between it and the drybox. My 2 batteries are between my sub box and 1/2 way under the 'pain in the @$$ curved cushion', i would recommend installing them completely under that cushion (like Doug H) freeing up space in the bigger compartment since that cushion is such a pain to get into.
Old     (dhands88)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-09-2006, 4:24 PM Reply   
well this thread is probably over but i promised pics and here they are. tons of room under pass seat. 13 inch jl audio subwoofer with bedliner sprayed box put under driver seat. had to relocate heater as you see in pics. dont wanna talk about it cause it was a pain. but im glad i did. gonna make a new board were the stock sub was that is just carpet and completly cover the sub so that nobody knows where it at. should be getting my third amp and mounting on right side of amps in now like adam did in his first amp pic. battery relocate real easy and man look at the space under hatch.
Old     (dhands88)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-09-2006, 4:34 PM Reply   
man the pics are to big but here are some crop down to small