Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (kevin_rx20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-17-2005, 2:34 PM Reply   
This is my wifes head after it met the wakeboard somehow (we still don't really know how). Lets see some other pics. Who's got the best.

Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-17-2005, 2:41 PM Reply   
thats just gross...who has the best? what kinda sick freak are you?
Old     (kevin_rx20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-17-2005, 2:51 PM Reply   
It's not that gross...she already has the stiches in it. You should have seen it before the stiches were put in and the pool of blood in the boat where she was laying. Of course her and her sisters all bought a helmet the next weekend.

It's just good to know what kind of injuries can be sustained doing this sport that we love. Not a sick freak.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-17-2005, 2:54 PM Reply   
you let her bleed in the boat?
Old    wakegal02            09-17-2005, 3:23 PM Reply   
what the heck was she doing? jumping the wake, an invert, spin???
Old     (kevin_rx20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-17-2005, 3:40 PM Reply   
Thane --- Actually we didn't really have a choice as to her bleeding in the boat or not. We were in the middle of the lake that day (no one was on the lake and it was glass as far as the eye could see...so beautiful) so we had to drive her all the way back to the launch. It wasn't our boat either. It was her dads brand new boat. It was dark blue carpet and you can barely see where it was...you really have to know where to look for it.

W.Brd-gal --- She was just jumping the wake. She wiped out fairly hard and the board came off her feet. What we think happened is that after the board came off it was then pushed by the wake into her head and she came back up from underwater. However we are not sure on this.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-17-2005, 3:54 PM Reply   
i had the same injury last year trying to jump toeside, still no idea how it happened.........and went riding with the stitches anyways!

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-17-2005, 4:26 PM Reply   
Its weird it seems like it would be really hard to hit yourself in the head with the board.
Old     (kevin_rx20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-17-2005, 6:08 PM Reply   
Hey mike...any pics of it??
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-17-2005, 6:28 PM Reply   
I ride with this guy who goes just about as big as I've seen anyone go. One day we were out in the boat, and naturally he tries a couple raleys. His set was cut short from the board hitting him in the chin. He had a cut, and a huge knot. The knot stayed there for about a year. Strangest thing was, the board never came off.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-17-2005, 7:02 PM Reply   
Thane, that is a weird story, I mean you would think the board would fling back behind him so it must have happened on the take off who knows.

Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-17-2005, 11:54 PM Reply   
Daniel, I think it happened after, or just as he came down and crashed into the water.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-18-2005, 4:48 AM Reply   
I think I'm gonna buy a helmet now!:-)
Old     (whirlynuke02)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-18-2005, 12:45 PM Reply   
ive gotten hit by my the board in the head just like that first picture-same spot and everything . It was when i was starting out wakeboarding and i tried a wake jump and landed wierd. it wasnt even a hard fall or anything, and i dont remember even having it come near my head. i didnt have to get stiches or anyhting because we had a doctor over that day who glued it up. i tried imitating it while sitting in the water to see if its even possible and im not flexible enough to do it.
Old    lamreaux            09-18-2005, 2:25 PM Reply   
I thought I was the only one! Board came off and hit me ... but instead of the head, it smashed my nose! Kevin did put the "graphic" warning in the subject, so you really can't be mad that we're sick freaks. By the way, on our ride back to the dock, I stayed on the back so I wouldn't get blood on the boat.

Board Face
Old     (kevin_rx20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-18-2005, 8:02 PM Reply   
Wow....now thats some nice bruising. Did you break your nose? You must have had a lot of people asking what happened. My wife just wore a hat so people didn't have to look at it, but you can't cover up your face very easily.
Old    wakelurker            09-18-2005, 8:20 PM Reply   
wow jeanie, that's fierce. how long after your accident did you chill before riding again? when did that happen?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-18-2005, 10:22 PM Reply   
should I break out the pics again? haha
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-19-2005, 5:16 AM Reply   
Well.... Kevin did ask who has the best or would that be worst
Old     (kevin_rx20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-19-2005, 5:53 AM Reply   
Lets see it Tim.
Old    bens            09-19-2005, 7:37 AM Reply   
Caught a piece of drift wood. Here's a picture of the shorts. Be glad I don't have a picture of the damage it did to my ass.
buttshot
Old    lamreaux            09-19-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
Oh yeah, that nose was SO broken ... like mush, plus I had stitches. The bruising lasted for 6 weeks! Nope, can't hide it ... couldn't even wear sunglasses.

My injury happened July 2004. Dr said I couldn't ride for 6 weeks, but I rode after 4. In December, I had surgery to put the nose closer to the middle of my face.

To make it worse, the accident happened on about my 5th ride after having my ACL replaced. To say the least, I was a bit "shy" when I started riding again. I had to shorten up the rope and take it real easy just to get my confidence back up. Finally (a year later), I'm using the "big girl" rope again and trying to learn new things.

The joke I've heard most in the last year:
"What do you tell a woman with 2 black eyes?"

"Nothing. You already told her twice."

Ouch Ben! How exactly did you do that? Did you have to go the the emergency room to have it removed? Did they believe your story about wakeboarding or did they believe you to be some kind of "sicko?" I'm glad you don't have a picture!
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-19-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
My favorite thread yet!!, Thank you.
P.S. Cover your head after being ejected!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-19-2005, 11:23 AM Reply   
Anyone see the picture of Brent Starr in last months Alliance. His face looked very similar to Jeanie.

Ouch, to all of you...
Old     (kevin_rx20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-19-2005, 11:47 AM Reply   
Jeffrey---that is one of my first thoughts everytime that I feel myself come out of my bindings on a pretty hard wipeout. I automatically cover my head as I pop up to the surface and I'm not the one that it happened to.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-19-2005, 7:27 PM Reply   
i am sure glad ben didnt have a picture of that. and jeanie....OUCH!!! i think that takes the cake.

mine doesnt compare to any of those but yesterday, i took a knee to the chin on a busted 540. cracked one molar in half, 2 other molars are too sore to even touch, and chipped two other teeth just a little bit. luckily, all the chips and cracked teeth arent the front four. went to the dentist today and he pulled out the half of the tooth that was loose. will hopefully just crown it, or else i will have to get a root canal.

as for "cover your head", i learned the hard way from a surf board. and i thought surf boards were supposed to be "chill"
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-19-2005, 7:39 PM Reply   
ok here are a few, some of you have seen them before:

dfghdf
6y576
dfgdfsg

this was about 2 years ago, in august, came up short on a scarecrow, right foot popped out of my binding and left leg got jacked. bones broke, skin ripped half way around my leg. didn't walk for 2.5 months, and that girl that is holding my foot in the first pic, never came on the boat again, and pretty much wouldn't talk to any of us anymore. unfortunately we didn't get any pics with it unwrapped.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-20-2005, 5:27 AM Reply   
Tim you must have realy scared the &h1+ out of her when you were sreaming like a little girl
Old     (kevin_rx20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-20-2005, 5:44 AM Reply   
I think we might have a winner. I mean, when your skin rips opens like that...it must have been some kinda painful.

That poor girl probably still has nightmares.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-20-2005, 6:10 AM Reply   
Bob it was probably more scary to her that i was just chillin, makin jokes and what not, instead of screaming.
Old    bens            09-20-2005, 7:31 AM Reply   
Had to go to the emergency room to get the piece of wood removed from my butt. It was the size of a deck of cards (not an ideal shape to be piercing your skin). It entered near a umm... very sensitive orifice then traveled about 6 inches under the skin. You could see it just under the skin about to poke out on the other side of my ass.
No one at the Knoxville hospital believed it happened. I'm pretty sure every employee, including janitors, came to look at the idiot with a stick in his bum.

Damn Tim. I've never seen a break like that.

Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-20-2005, 9:15 AM Reply   
Dang it Tim. I can handle the head injurys, but seeing pics of your leg again freaks me out. I hate being reminded of the potential injurys wakeboarding can bring.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-20-2005, 2:37 PM Reply   
Here is my 7 year old son's right arm after tubing for the first time of the season. Hit a wake and boom, his arm snapped.

His first question was "Am I going to miss swimming lessons Daddy?"

Old    lamreaux            09-20-2005, 6:57 PM Reply   
I CONCEDE! Tim is the "winner" of the most disgusting injury! At least that girl was a Florence Nightengale when you needed her. Can you ride anymore? That's the kind of injury that changes your life. (Mine just changed my career as a supermodel).

You guys are way smarter than me for covering your head - my coach must have skipped that lesson. Now when I eject, I assume the "tornado drill" position.

And, Bruce, that must have killed you to see your kid hurt like that! What spirit he must have to have been so concerned about swimming.

Forgive my morbid curiosity, but ... Ben, how did you hit driftwood? Was it floating? Were you ollying? I just can't imagine!
Old    bens            09-21-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
jeanie,
I butt checked a wake to wake. My rear just happened to hit the water where there was a limb floating. Surgery to remove it. 4 days in the hospital on antibiotics. 1 month w/ an open wound in while it healed from the inside.

If the boat was going 20mph, how fast do you think I would have been going when I hit the water (not too aggressive cut)?

Tim is definitely the winner.

Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-21-2005, 9:33 AM Reply   
I am not so sure, the way you describe your injury it is definately more unique. And I'd probably prefer a broken leg to a piece of wood in my rear. I could at least sit relatively comfortably.

Old     (kevin_rx20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-21-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
Ok...so there are going to have to be multiple awards I think.

The most unique -- Ben
The most painful-- Tim
The most defacing -- Jeanie
Old    robertt            09-21-2005, 11:35 AM Reply   
Kevin, you need to add one...

Biggest ass whooping from mom and grandma....Bruce
Old     (kevin_rx20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-21-2005, 11:43 AM Reply   
Robert-- You are so right. Sorry I forgot about that one. I'm sure he got it too.

Moms and grandmas can be pretty scary at times, especially when it's about their baby boy.
Old     (gtaussie15)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-21-2005, 11:46 AM Reply   
Tim that is by far the worst injury I have ever seen. I mean ive seen some pretty bad breaks and all but wow you skin riped half way around your leg. Tim takes it for worst injury.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-21-2005, 11:53 AM Reply   
Bruce - where is that break at? I can't tell.
Old     (romi)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-21-2005, 2:59 PM Reply   
It looks like just above the wrist. I think he was moving a bit during the xray.

Bruce that must have broke you heart. What a bummer!
Old     (kevin_rx20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-21-2005, 3:22 PM Reply   
I think I've pointed out what looks like the break to me. At least it doesn't look natural. It's just short of the wrist area.

wrist

(Message edited by kevin_rx20 on September 21, 2005)
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-21-2005, 4:17 PM Reply   
haha, definitely a broken wrist in that x-ray. I've broken each wrist twice (non-wakin stuff though). As for wakeboarding injuries: broke my right thumb, torn ACL and meniscus.
Old    lamreaux            09-21-2005, 9:19 PM Reply   
Thanks for the award Kevin G.! I think all of us deserve an award for still loving the sport. A moxy award, maybe? I've smashed my face, replaced ACL, busted eardrum, and a concussion so bad I couldn't walk for days and was dizzy for months ... but I love riding so much! Know-it-alls are constantly scolding me and telling me I got what I deserve for doing a "young person's sport." I just point out that they're butt is bigger than mine.

Speaking of butts ... I can't imagine the speed at which the wood was inserted in your butt, Ben! (Is it okay to say that on here?) The odds against that happening must be astounding.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-22-2005, 1:57 PM Reply   
"million to one shot doc, million to one."
Old     (kevin_rx20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-23-2005, 8:47 PM Reply   
Jeanie -- Don't thank me...You earned that award. =)
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-25-2005, 12:31 PM Reply   
It was both bones in his arm just below the wrist. His arm was flapping like a rag doll. It looked like a second wrist.

He was very brave and has fully recovered. It still gives me the willys when the kids ask me to give them a "Wild Ride" on the tube. My policy is to "leave them longing rather than lothing."

Be careful out there. It was the most humbling experience I've ever had in the boat, but a close second was breaking my mother in law's back (!) Compression fracture from hitting a huge wake. She was riding in the bow of the boat and we hit a huge wake. Ouch. The ambulance had to back board her out of the boat and take her to the ER. It still hurts her some, but she still loves to ride around in the boat.
Old     (leykis1o1)      Join Date: May 2005       09-25-2005, 8:42 PM Reply   
my girlfriend had her board pop her in the head as the 1st picture shows exactle ..she also got stiches
Old    lamreaux            09-25-2005, 9:54 PM Reply   
Bruce - so, is your ID "coinless" from all the lawsuits against you? Sorry, couldn't help it. That's really awful.
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-26-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
Ha!
Old    dyonisus            09-28-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
OUCH! Man those look like they hurt a bunch!
Not yet experienced that kind of pain from wakeboarding!
Old     (nikki)      Join Date: May 2004       09-28-2005, 3:58 PM Reply   
Mine looks like the first pic but on the back of my head... Not fun! It is a fun story to tell though lol.