Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-14-2004, 7:31 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I was looking around on ebay tonight and found many package deals like this one... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4950&item=30900636 30&rd=1

Is something like this even worth dealing with? All I really want to do is have some bass. I don't really care if it sounds all that good or whatever. Just wanting to know if you think it would survive a boat.
Old    spicoli            04-14-2004, 8:22 PM Reply   
just say no, you get what u pay for on e bay.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-14-2004, 9:39 PM Reply   
when you get right down to it amps are pretty simple. They might take a bit of creative license when they advertise the power rating but the average person probably couldn't tell the difference in sound quality between the cheap and expensive amps.

Speakers, on the other hand, are more of an art than a science. Two speakers could look a lot alike and sound totally different. This is something that if you want a specific sound then you need to listen to the speaker before you buy. $$$ may not assure quality but cheap almost always means cheap.

Rod
Old    jimmydager101            04-14-2004, 9:46 PM Reply   
Hey,
I would disagree with you william, I have done a lot of business on EBAY and have never had a bad transaction. I even bought 4 pioneer tower speakers off EBAY for $400. The are not the best quality in the world but they sound really good to me and the price can't be beat. My advice is to talk to the guy via e-mail or phone before you bid and make sure you trust him and know exactly what he is selling. Just my .02 cents.
Jimmy Dager
Old    xtigeman            04-14-2004, 9:46 PM Reply   
Cheap stereo may be better than no stereo.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-14-2004, 9:46 PM Reply   
That is a terrible advert. Adding the amp wattage to the speaker wattage to get a total system wattage is complete crap. Showing two pictures of the one amp is also misleading.
Old    bigd            04-15-2004, 10:40 AM Reply   
For the price I'd go for it. Like you said, you're not trying to build a home theatre, just get some tunes. Doug is right, cheap tunes is waaaaaaaay better than no tunes (been there). Plus, you can use 'em for the summer and upgrade later if you gotta have the latest & greatest.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-15-2004, 7:49 PM Reply   
yeah i was thinking the same exact thing as you guys were. its for the boat and eventually water will get to it and it will crap out. also, like they said, i just want the boat to have some bass. if i go for it i will let you guys know about it.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-15-2004, 8:10 PM Reply   
xblode amp thats funny. let us know how it goes
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4950&item=30918967 79
Old    spicoli            04-15-2004, 10:53 PM Reply   
jimmy,i didnt say there were no good deals, but 50.00 bucks for "1600 watts and two 12's" c'mon now, you paid 400 for name brand equipment, not 50 bucks for no name cr#p, a deal is a deal, but the better product you buy, the longer it will last, if that stuff only lasts 3 runs, and you go out 12 times a year, then you coulda bought someting nice and save the shipping and r&r hassels, id suggest instead of setteling for something you dont really like, just keep saving and get what you really like, its worth it in the end, my 2 cents.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-16-2004, 5:12 AM Reply   
just like anything else, you get what you pay for, I think this is especially true with audio.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-16-2004, 6:17 AM Reply   
yeah,if you look at the guys other stuff he is selling it is pretty funny. lits of bobo stuff made to look like sony.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-18-2004, 6:42 PM Reply   
you get what you pay for and ive got 2 RF amps still running strong in the boat from 2001. Added the third last year and fully expect it to last just as long. Opened them up before the install and sprayed the boards with boeshield, closed um back up and mounted them under the passenger dash so rain or spray wont get to it.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-18-2004, 8:22 PM Reply   
Those are paper cone subs, a no-no on a boat. Moisture is bad on paper cones.
Doug is right,"Cheap stereo is better than no stereo."
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-18-2004, 8:37 PM Reply   
scotch guard the paper cones. it will change the mass and stiffness of the cones a bit but considering how much they cost it won't hurt too much.