Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old    jimmydager101            04-14-2004, 6:22 PM Reply   
Hey,
I posted on here three or four days to no avail so I will try again. I am trying to run four tower speakers with a jl 300/2 amp and I can't find the right battery to use. I was going to just use my boats starting battery but I decided that I wanted to run the stereo from a seperate battery. I have tried using two different deep cycle batteries but I can not get my stereo to work with them. My power light on my amp keeps blinking and JL Audio said that the amp is not getting enough current to work properly. He said that it only needed 10 volts and both the batteries I tried were 12 so I don't understand. The amp does work with a normal starting battery, however. I have even tried to use a deep cycle battery that has starting capacity as well. This was supposed to supply the same type of quick volts that a starting battery would but function as a deep cycle as well. That didn't work either. What are all of you guys using to run your stereos? Anybody have any suggestions? Sorry this is so long.
Thanks,
Jimmy Dager
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-14-2004, 6:56 PM Reply   
Sounds like the cables running to the amp are to small. They should be at least 4 gauge.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-14-2004, 9:47 PM Reply   
Your choice of battery is going to determine how many hours you can run your stereo without recharging and how many years they will last. Deep cycle, starting, gel, AGM, or lead acid won't make any difference on if the amps work or not.

Get a volt meter and measure the voltage at the amp, directly across the "+" and "-" terminal. If the battery is fully charged you should have around 12.5 volts at the battery. If you don't have at least 12.0 volts at the amp then your wires are seriously too small or something is broken between the battery and the amp.

If the voltage at the amp is okay and you still get the blinking then something else is wrong.

Rod
Old    triplexracing            04-14-2004, 10:54 PM Reply   
does your remote turn on wire had good connections? 8 ga is the min jl recommends, 4 ga is the max that will fit