Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old    tjgramlich            04-07-2004, 2:27 PM Reply   
I've been looking at used boats for a while and have recently come upon a good deal on a 1996 Hydrodyne Grand Sport. I know this company no longer makes boats so its been hard for me to find information on them. The boat will be used for skiing and wakeboarding. I know this boat will leave a good ski wake, but my question is will I be able to get at least a decent sized wake for wakeboarding if I add some ballast? Im going to demo the boat next week, but have no way to test it weighted down.
Has anyone ever owned or ridden behind one of these? Any information is welcome. Thanks

(Message edited by tjgramlich on April 07, 2004)
Old    tjgramlich            04-07-2004, 5:23 PM Reply   
also.....if you have ridden behind one what was your weight set up?
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-08-2004, 8:02 AM Reply   
I rode behind one last year. There were 3 people on the boat while I was boarding and 2 ice chest and the wake was still pretty small.
If you get this boat and are serious about boarding you probably want to get some sacs and lead.
Old     (switch)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-08-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
Timoyhy, Check out their web site. http://www.hydrodyneboats.com I do belive that International Inboard Marine AKA Calabria made the boat, you can go to their web site http://www.calabriaboats.com and see for yourself. The Hydrodyne looks just like the Calabria XTS Sport Comp which is also the same mold as the Cal-Air. So your question is yes the Hydrodyne will have a nice wake when you but ballast in the boat, try putting a 600# in the trunk and a 600# in the walk way.
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-08-2004, 9:47 AM Reply   
Hydrodyne was manufactured in Ft. Wayne, Indiana...Molds have since been passed around. I believe Cobalt used the mold for an entry into the inboard market several years ago....}}
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-08-2004, 9:56 AM Reply   
hydrodynes were a quality boat when they were made in IN. a '96 would have been made there. since then calabria has possibly made a few, and I can't comment on their quality.
Old    pratt            04-08-2004, 1:32 PM Reply   
I had a 1996 Hydrodyne Grand Sport and I thought it was an awesome boat. The only reason why I got rid of it, was becuase we constantly had to walk over the fat sacs.

We ran to fat sacs on either side of the motor, and one in the back. Then we had sand bags under the back seat. Also, had some lead in teh nose, I think it was 200lbs.

I will post a pic and one of the wake...

1996 Hydrodyne
Old    tjgramlich            04-08-2004, 1:38 PM Reply   
Nice boat, the one I'm looking at is the same color and everything. Were you able to fit a sac in that back locker? It looks a little small.
Old    pratt            04-12-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
No back locker is there. Behind the backseat is where the gas tank is. We woudl jsu remove the seat and then drop a sac back there. This would be a perfect place for a fat seat, which of course did not exist at the time I had it.

I woudl recommend these to anyone, plus they all had PCM motors so you can take it to your local Correct Craft dealer for work.
Old    pratt            04-12-2004, 1:09 PM Reply   
Where do you live? Just curious becuase my old boat is in Georgia.
Old    tjgramlich            04-12-2004, 5:09 PM Reply   
I live in CT