Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-13-2006, 11:03 PM Reply   
Hey guys need some help, I have my board up fro sale and the buyer is located in the UK. I have not posted anywhere but WW, this person as far as I can tell is not a member, looked up by email and full name. I will attach the e-mails ...(copy from outlook)

1st email seems honest..
Hello,
I mail to know if you still have the above mention(Parks Bio 140) are still for sale as am verymuch intrested of buying ..kindly let me know what your final asking priceis and also send to me its pictures .
I await your reply....

2nd email raises questions..

Hello,
Thanks for your mail,i want all the properties you are selling and after i you which is ok with me,but i want you to know that am from UK and i have a contact who based in US and that will send to you a check drawn from US bank to you on my behalf so,if you are ok with this...reply me back asap with your details needed for the addression of the check such as below:

Name to be on the check:.............
Address where check will be received by you:...........
Phone Number's such as Mobile,Land line and Office number..............
Your Last Asking Offer...........

As regards shippment,this will be handle by my shipper once you get your
money he will immediately come for the pick up...I hope to hear back from
you soonest.

I don't know if he means his shipper as in FED Ex etc, or his contact? What do you guys think?
Old     (zacky)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-13-2006, 11:14 PM Reply   
I would bet it's a scam. It looks like one of those boiler plate e-mails where they just fill in the item. It also seems like way too much trouble to go through just to buy a board...

"I want all the properties you are selling..."
What does that mean?
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-14-2006, 4:03 AM Reply   
I'm in the UK. Although we speak a different brand of english to you yanks its nothing like the rubbish that guy is using!

Chances are he is a nigerian scammer.
Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-14-2006, 4:28 AM Reply   
SCAM...no question. Don't even bother with this guy. I have had practically the same email sent to me on a few things I have sold in the past.
Old     (gtaussie15)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-14-2006, 6:57 AM Reply   
Well I would say scam, but then you think about it and who overseas would scam a guy out of a used wakeboard? Boat....Car...somethign a little more expensive maybe but a wakeboard? I dunno, I would leave it alone. Even if this guy is honest, to complete the transaction is more work than its worth.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-14-2006, 6:57 AM Reply   
You should sell it. He said.. "once you get your money". If it's drawn from a US bank, then make sure it's one that has a local office. You can get your cash there.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-14-2006, 7:03 AM Reply   
Open a bank account at one of the banks that offer free checking and no min. balance. Then have him wire the funds to that account. After you withdraw the funds, tell him to have his shipper come pick it up at a "Public" meeting point. After you give him the routing and transit numbers give him 24 hours to get the money to you, if not then it was a scam. Once you start talking wire transfers, usually you wont hear from the scammers any more. The "Once you get your money" idea will not work because if you cash it at your bank, and it comes up counterfeit, your bank will withdraw the lost fund fromyou personal account. If it is not drawn on your bank, some banks will not process it without a hold for 2-3 days.

(Message edited by byrd on February 14, 2006)
Old     (brutto_76)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-14-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
I'm in the UK and confirm that this looks like a total scam. Don't waste your time with it. You'll never get any money.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-14-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
Bryd, that's why I said... "make sure his US bank has a local office". He'll either have to put up or shut up at that point.