Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (peterski)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-13-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
I'm on Burton's mailing list and just got this press release. Cool quote from Hannah below being stoked about finally being able to buy a boat so she can do some wakeboarding...nice.

Vermonter Hannah Teter Brings Home Gold At The 2006 Winter Olympics
Burton Team Rider Wins Women's Halfpipe In Bardonecchia

Bardonecchia, Italy (February 13, 2006) - Vermont native Hannah Teter brought home the gold medal in the women's halfpipe contest at the 2006 Winter Olympic Games in Bardonecchia, Italy today, following her teammate Shaun White's gold medal win yesterday. Hannah, like Shaun, was able to take her second run relaxed and happy that she had already won first place.

Hannah was raised in a snowboarding family in Vermont, close to the Burton home-base. She has been with Burton since her first day on a snowboard. Jake Burton, Founder and Chairman of Burton Snowboards, has the following to say about her victory: "Much like Shaun, Hannah seems to be having more fun than anyone out there. Today we saw all of that plus a competitive spirit that made all of us at Burton and all of us from Vermont very proud." Hannah's halfpipe win today at the 2006 Winter Olympics is further evidence that Vermont continues to bring some of the world's best snowboarders to the forefront of the sport, as she joins a prestigious list of Vermonters such as Ross Powers (Halfpipe Gold Medalist, 2002) and Kelly Clark (Halfpipe Gold Medalist, 2002).

Hannah, supported by her family here in Bardonecchia, stated: "I might actually be able to purchase a boat now and do some wakeboarding. I'm still going to be grateful. I came into this having a lot of faith and being supported. I don't think I'm going to change. Maybe just smile a little bit brighter and get my teeth whitened for the cameras."

With a solid first run Hannah qualified directly for the finals together with her U.S. teammates Gretchen Bleiler and Kelly Clark. It was clear already in training that Hannah was ready to go for gold, stomping her frontside 9 lien. Dropping in on her first run, Hannah took the early lead with a huge straight air, frontside 5, frontside 9 and Cab 5. During the second run, Hannah watched her competitors try to take away her top spot while she waited to take the last run. No one was able to beat her so Hannah dropped in for a gold medal victory run. Like her Burton teammate Shaun White the day before, Hannah raised her hands in the air to the screaming crowd and threw down the same run as her first, but went bigger, topping her first winning run. Hannah stated: "I was standing up there and Gretchen threw down so hard, so I knew I was going to have to step it up. And I just wanted to step it up to represent the U.S."

In March, Hannah will be back home in Vermont to compete at the 24th Annual US Open Snowboarding Championships where she will feed off the energy of her hometown crowd to go for her first US Open Halfpipe title.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-15-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
thats cool

doesnt she have a bad knee as of now??Plus id like to see her try some nines on a wakeboard :-)
a little different then the spins they were throwing down in the pipe .backside 9s,regualr 10s,and even some 12s withg grabs all over...that isnt happening in wakeboarding anytime soon :-)

still cool she mentioned our sport for sure
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       02-16-2006, 6:41 AM Reply   
Did anyone see the interview with her where she talked about getting prepared for the olympics.
She sounded like a stoned idiot but it made me laugh.