Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-05-2003, 3:52 PM Reply   
I'll wait for the video before I'm completely convinced, but in this thread they claim someone has landed the first backflip on a wakeskate. I'm sure some people will bash him for it since it's a "wakeboard" trick.

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=11386
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-05-2003, 5:46 PM Reply   
well he posted pics from the video that he took, but he has yet to post the video....doesnt make sense...in the amount of time it took him to export the frames, resize and upload them he could have uploaded the entire clip of video for us to watch...
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-05-2003, 11:31 PM Reply   
Turns out he had a little help. He bolted a handle to the wakeskate so he could grab the handle and then do the invert. Cheating or innovation? Only time will tell.

A video clip has been posted: http://photos.wakeboarder.com/showphoto.php?photo=1486&password=&sort=7&thecat=5 00
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-06-2003, 12:07 AM Reply   
Cheating!!!
Old     (pjdave)      Join Date: Oct 2002       08-06-2003, 12:46 AM Reply   
Oh no the attack of the kiteboarders, some of their boards have built in handles.
Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-06-2003, 5:35 AM Reply   
Handle or not, pretty cool. He probably should have been up front about the handle right from the start though. He probably would not have been jumped on by the nay sayers so hard. Maybe skates will start coming with removable handles, like wakeboards have removable fins. Possibly an innovation. IMHO
Old    andzei            08-06-2003, 5:45 AM Reply   
Cheating!!!maybe, because regular skates(with 4 wheels)havent handle...dunno
Old    xtremebordgurl            08-06-2003, 4:16 PM Reply   
I say innovation, if you've seen any kiteboarding footage you know that handle will open a door to a whole slew of wakeskate tricks, just my opinion.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-06-2003, 4:28 PM Reply   
If you have the ability to hold on you might as well make it comfortable and add wakeboard bindings.

I say it doesn't count. People have done backflips on skateboards without the use of a handle so...
Old     (wakebo2169)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-06-2003, 5:08 PM Reply   
i say its not too cool...wakeskating isn't wakeboarding....the only flips that are legit in my opinion are of the kickflip, frontside flip, etc variety
Old    upupnaway            08-06-2003, 8:14 PM Reply   
Not even close to the first invert on a "skate". When wakeskating first came out, there were a whole slew of people who put blocks on their boards, (velcro was another popular tactic), doing tantrums and backrolls and such. With the addition of these blocks, it ceased being wakeskateing. Honestly, don't you think grubb would be doing this if it was even slightly acceptable?
If a handle gets added to the board, I would be perfectly happy recognizing it as a new sport......Wake-scooter.

by the way-no disrespect towards kite-boarders...they are meant to have handles, are they not?

(Message edited by upupnaway on August 06, 2003)
Old    andzei            08-06-2003, 11:51 PM Reply   
interesting to hear what pro wake skaters think about it?is here anyone?
Old    catalyst            08-07-2003, 11:05 AM Reply   
I say its cool that he did somethind that is quite technical and most of us couldnt even come close to without alot of work. On the other hand I do kinda feel that he is stepping away from what wakeskating realy is about. But i mean like holly crap he did a back flip that just shows how far the sport could go. Id like to see wake to wake frontside flip or something but that aint happening for a while so a back flip wil do for the time being.
Old    jakeman            08-07-2003, 11:48 AM Reply   
bill

u forgot to photoshop the rope into pic 3 and 4
Old    griffdizzle            08-07-2003, 11:52 AM Reply   
if you watch the video, it does look real. i dont think its photoshopped. first wakeskate invert ever? no way. quite frankly i think anyone that can do toeside backrolls could bolt a handle to a wakeskate and land that after a few tries.