Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old    alexandrite            03-04-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
I purchased a 20' 2005 bayliner xt I/O 220hp v8 open bow. It's very difficult to maintain a constant speed while towing wakeboarders. When I trim up a bit to drop rear I still don't feel I'm achieving maximum wake potential for big air. I'd like to add some weight to the back with some pylons and add either a stingray hydrofoil or an se300 sport hydrofoil to decrease blowout and hopefully maintain better speed control. Is this a good combination? Which hydrofoil might be better fit for this particular boat? Is their a better prop I should be useing with this combination? Please help, BIG AIR NEEDED!
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-04-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
On your I/O you will want to add weight to the front of the boat and then trim the boat up to get the wake you are looking for. As for maintaining speed you will need to get good at the throttle or get Perfect Pass.
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-04-2006, 10:44 AM Reply   
I have an OB and we improved our speed control by going to a different prop that reduced our overall speed but increased our low-end power. At 20-23 mph our rpms are up from before which makes it easier to control the speed. We went to a Mercury high five stainless prop. You would need to check with your dealer for prop choices. I also added two Bullet fat sacks, one in the ski locker and one behind the rear bench, then trim the motor for maximum wake. Hoping to add a tower this year.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-04-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
Almost impossable to hold consistent wakeboard speed with a I/O. Perfect Pass if it can be addoped to an I/O (I don't know)would be a couple of grand, plus the other options you spoke about will cost more money. If your serious about riding and want a big wake you might want to think about selling in your Bayliner and getting an older direct drive ski boat a pole and some fat sacks. With some practice you will be able to hold you speed pretty well with a direct drive.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-04-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
I've wakeboarded behind IOs for about 8 years - I finally upgraded to a V-drive last year. IOs are difficult to maintain speed. The best solution that I found, to solve the speed problem, was to change the prop to the lowest pitch you can find. I suspect that your boat is outfitted with a 21" pitch prop. Drop back to an 18 or a 19. It'll pull the weight out of the hole quicker too. You'll loose your top-end speed. Though the frustration you'll save is worth it. I never ran Perfect Pass in the IOs - probably would help. We always throttled by RPM and by ear. After long enough you can distinguish 50rpm of engine sag by ear. While pulling an aggressive rider, we would always compensate by adding throttle as they cut into the wake. Then ease off as the boat recovered. These are very subtle throttle corrections.

Ask your dealer if they will let you demo props before you buy them. some will. Try an 18", a 19" and see if you can try a Cupped 18 or 19. Depending on your boat, one prop will make all the difference. I know, I've been through about 9 props or so (grin)

In my experience, Trimming never accomplished much. It'd make the wake 'peaky' and cause the water to curl over the top of the wake. Plus, while trimmed up, the boat would roll left and right as the skier pulled on the rope– This deforms and flattens the wake on the side they are on. The best wake was a result of full trim down. The only sure-fire way I found to enhance the wake was weight. We'd have to run about 75/25 rear to bow weight. We'd top out at about 1000lbs in my IOs, at that weight they had a hell of a time pulling out of the hole. Also, remember that the big wakes behind these competition boats are created by 1000-3000lbs of weight.

To sum my $.02: Prop it down, weight it all the way up, trim it all the way down.

good luck
Old     (john4d)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-04-2006, 2:19 PM Reply   
I had a bayliner 190 with the same problems you are having we installed a wakeboard pro perfect pass and it was great held a consistant speed. it was $1100.00 and I installed it myself, good instructions. Then all you have to do is weight it down.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-04-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
foils will help you get out of the hole but they seem to soften up your wake a bit, I still have to try taking mine off to get a full understanding of how they affect my wake.

I constantly have to make small adjustments while driving, it's always a very gentle tap and pull game. I watch my rpm after I'm set into the general speed I want.

As others have said, get some weight up front and use your trim (I only adjust about 1/4 trim) to help clean up wash and create better shape. Weight placement in the boat also makes a big difference, I'm constantly pointing at people and moving them around the boat to even out my wake.

When driving doubles it's very hard to maintain speed and often compinsating for the turn will end up with the boat accelerating as the rider is pulled through the double, the best solution for this I've found it to widen out your doubles, make your turns bigger to allow yourself maximum speed retention and some time to corect speed before your rider nails things down.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-04-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
I had a 20.5 foot I/O. I wore out the throttle control maintaining boat speed. My inboard does a much better job maintaining speed.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-04-2006, 4:27 PM Reply   
hydrofoils just hurt performance plain and simple, ppl think they work but it is all a mind game, if you have a 3 blade prop down size one and get a 4 blade
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-04-2006, 9:41 PM Reply   
Rodney I have to disagree, foils help get my boat on plane much faster.
Old     (dan_forrest)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-05-2006, 9:52 PM Reply   
We wakeboard behind a I/O every week. Maintaining that speed just takes practice and a little attention. Lower your prop pitch and get a good driver