Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-03-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
I've been browsing posts for a while and seeing interesting points of view on drinking and wakeboarding. First off, I love partying, and I mean love it. Drinking is the best social lubrication in existance. This might sound like a no brainer at first, but I can't wakeboard worth anything when I even have the slightest buzz. I can snowboard, play basketball, bowl, and run on an empty keg when I'm wasted, but can barely get up on a wakeboard after a few cocktails. I'm not the best rider sober (can do a few inverts, spins...), but I'm lost out there after a few 12oz. curls.

So, I've basically given up drinking on a wakeboarding day all together, which is a bummer, but wakeboarding is most important.

I wanted to know if anyone else has run into this problem where you can do other active things that require some balance while drinking, but just not wakeboarding.

And, if you're going to say something about drinking and riding not being safe, save it, because it's obvious to everyone that it's not safe.

One more thing, I want to party with that Jason guy that has the stripper pole connected to his tower.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-03-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
Oh, and to anyone that can pull this off, I'm jealous and you deserve a golden egg.
Old     (zo1)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-03-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
Drinking and riding are not safe, don't do it
Old    low_key_wake            03-03-2006, 1:57 PM Reply   
Drinking and driving arnt safe. Thats what scares me, not drunk borders, that chits funny, but SOME people get to drunk to operate a boat in a busy water way.
Old    00wakesetter            03-03-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
If wakeboarding is more fun without drinking then dont drink before you board. You say its a "bummer" but wakeboarding isnt your job, so just have fun when you go out.

If progression is what your about then take a couple of sets before you pop the first top and maybe just take a skate set or a surf set after you have had a few. Just have fun when you go out no matter if your drinking or not. If your not loving every minute you are on the water you will get burned out quickly.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-03-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
I feel ya Jeff. I have tried after a few beers, and it just hurts. The slightest impairment to your balance really screws with you on the water.
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-03-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
I've found that I've got an optimum 2-4 beer limit that helps. I've been worked quite a few times because I didn't commit to the trick. With a few in me I lose a little inhibition (who'd a thought that!) and can fully commit, wait for the lip, hold the edge, ect. With up to 4 over a couple of hours I don't notice any adverse affects on balance. Now that doesn't mean that I go out with a buzz all the time;) More than 4 and it's pointless...waste of gas.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-03-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
Yeah friends, I'm not talking about drinking and driving. I'm way against that.

Cramm, Very cool advice about the progress, then skate and surf afterwards with some bevies.

This isn't really that serious of an issue, just thought I'd spark some funny stories and people that can relate.

I guess when you only have so much free time, you try to pack all of you favorite things into one activity. It's all kinds of naughty.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-03-2006, 3:12 PM Reply   
number 1 reason no pros come from the colorado river...........

THEY'RE ALL DRUNK BY THE TIME THE RIDING STARTS.

Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-03-2006, 3:13 PM Reply   
this topic is beat to death..