Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (jjmorgan335)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-01-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
I need some serious help. I've been riding about 2 years now and I have all the basics down. I'm trying to teach myself to ride switch but every time i get around, which is no problem, i get sucked into the wake and end up catching my edge, and everyone knows where that goes. Any advice...Ill try anything...Thanks,
Jack
Old    michguy            09-01-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
Try dropping your back hand until you get the hang of it.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-01-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
Concentrate on using your back leg more to edge and steer the board. Then, focus on heal to toe edging/cutting and proper body position. Then, try doing some switch ollies in the flats punching your back leg down....move on to one wake jumping after ollies feel comfortable.

Dropping your back hand isn't going to help you gain control of the board although it may feel like it. Two hands with the proper body position will give you much more control.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-01-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
The problem I have is I know I have too much weight on my front foot, then if I concentrate on moving my weight back, I start dropping my hips and bend over. I was thinking about widening my stance but not sure if that is smart since I feel comfortable where I am at except switch of course.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-01-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
Try just laying down some carves to create the edge control...body position should follow.

I would go ahead and place the boots all the way out to the furthest inserts from center. It shouldn't feel uncomfortable unless the board is too big for you. Later on.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-01-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
Thanks Dave, it should be 5'7"~maybe riding a 134.
Old     (khuffy14)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-01-2006, 1:26 PM Reply   
You might be opening your hips up to the boat. Try to hold the handle close to your front hip.
Old     (blind)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-01-2006, 2:26 PM Reply   
best thing I ever did was get on my skate board and ride it switch. tighten up the wheels a bit to slow it down and work on you carving.