Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old    bigrich            08-28-2006, 4:26 PM Reply   
First of all if you have a weak stomach or are easily offended stop reading now. It all started last weekend when my board slid out and I did a standard "nutslap". A few minutes in the water shook it off and went back to my set. Monday morning back to work and by the end of the day could barely walk due to excruciating pain in the "boys". Went to the doc on tuesday. Diagnosis: Testicular torsion (how could I make that up). Basically means one of my jewels got turned around and the blood flow was cut off causing it to swell to the size of a fist. Four days off work and 10 days of anti-biotics just to find out no wakeboarding or other strenous activities for a month. Just had to share.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-28-2006, 4:36 PM Reply   
The size of a fist? Your boys were the size of a fist and you thought...ahhh, maybe it'll be okay...lets sit on em for a day or so and see what happens :-) Just kidding man, I know it was a progressively worsening situation, just made me grimace in pain at the thought of it.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-28-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
So, how long until you are able to find out if the "boys" still work?
Old    bigrich            08-28-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
Still working already tested.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-28-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
lol, I hope she was gentle....
Old     (wakeboarder84)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-28-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
i dont like where this is going haha
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-28-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
My professional experience with testicular torsion that it is emergent surgery. When torsion has occured for more than 6hrs, it usually means you're gonna have that gonad removed.
You need to get a second opinion and or follow up with a urologist.
Old    bigrich            08-28-2006, 5:51 PM Reply   
Got a follow up already. I am shocked to hear what you are telling me. Are there different levels of torsion cause I dont want to lose it for sure. Over a week later very little pain and no more swelling.
Old     (wet_rat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-28-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
Phantom is quit accurate. As a medical professional myself I can't agree more. I have seen cases where there is self correction, and seen it corrected during ultrasound. If it's been a week and the swelling and pain is gone then you should be alright. Lucky enough torsion isn't like dislocated joints where they are more prone to the same trauma in the future.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-29-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
Thanks a BUNCH for not posting any pics!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-29-2006, 7:20 AM Reply   
Rich, I had a similar thing happen....I was in emergency surgery w/in 4 hours. Like somone else mentioned and I was told more than 6/8 hours w/o bloodflow say goodbye to lefty or righty:-(. Luckily mine were saved. It's actually more common than what I thought. Now to the details....yoru missing a piece of skin that attaches your gonad to yoru sac....I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it will proabbly happen again.....be prepared to haul a_ss to the hospital next time. There is nothing like the pain of basically strangling the life out of one of your nutz. When I think back on it...I can remember times of them aching a littel , but nothing a good rubdown by the g/f coulnd't fix. My doc said that was probably them twisting up and untwisting. To give you an idea of how bad it hurt.....I willfully let another man rub jelly on my sac and ultrasound me.
Old    bigrich            08-29-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
I read all this with my jaw wide open. Mine was corrected during the ultrasound (I hope) and like I said no more pain and swelling. They made no mention of surgery or re-occurence but I will talk to them more during my follow up. I must have had a milder case. Not total cut-off of circulation.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-29-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
Man, thats harsh. Glad you and everyone else with this is ok. It may help if you wear a padded and super supportive jock strap. That should keep the boys in line.

This while I am sitting here at my house with torn ligaments in my knee from playing soccer 2 days ago. I'm out of commission too. Going to see the orthopedic surgeon today to schedule getting put back together...
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-29-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
Yeah I've heard of this my cousin had it, it is very serious. He didn't think there was anything wrong and it would just go away and he almost lost a one of his balls cause he waited to get it checked out.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-29-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
I too have had it happen on a lesser scale, and got an ultra sound also. It often occurs still, but nothing like the first time, instead it is more of a dull ache.

After having Kaiser for most of my life, I now have a saying. "No one knows your body better than you do". That means a doctor can not feel the pain or anything else and it is OUR job to make sure we get properly treated. Do not believe "Go home, take two asprin, and call me in the morning", if you feel there is something seriously wrong. Find a way to get the help you need.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-29-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
Rich,

FYI....when I had mine start hurting like hell. I was in the car driving. No type of trauma caused it. Like I said earlier, a little over 4 hours later I was on the operating table.
Old     (tory1340)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-29-2006, 4:38 PM Reply   
I've known barefooters to wear cups along with barefoot suits, the ones with thick padding all over. I tend to wear wetsuit shorts most of the season. I'm old and fat and don't care what I look like as long as I'm comfortable. Yeah, I wear gloves too! It's tough being a converted skier, but I've taken some nasty falls at ski speeds. These falls aren't too bad yet...
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-29-2006, 4:52 PM Reply   
I've only seen one way you could possibly keep Testicular torsion from reoccuring and you're not going to like it....so don't read the next paragraph

3...don't look

They put a stitch through your 'nad and sew it to your sack..... especially if you've already lost one to a spontanteous torsion.

I told you not to look
Old     (wet_rat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-29-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
WTF?
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-29-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
You know what tory? Parks wore gloves in SHAFT. Its all cool.
Old     (shiznizzle)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-30-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
Phanton thanks for sharing that one, i'm just off for a lie down don't feel to good after reading that and the rest of this post
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-30-2006, 3:05 PM Reply   
I think I'll tape my balls up with athletic wrap the next time I ride. LOL.... Ouch
Old    bigrich            08-30-2006, 3:14 PM Reply   
Evan make sure the tape is just to tape your balls up and not your member down. LOL. And ouch is right. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.