Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-04-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
Hay guys i have a Malibu VLX 04 and i have a winny, whistle, sucking noise at the lower part of the rev range!! Basicially as i accerate the sucking noise appears from the engine bay (I think its coming from the Air filter) but the fuel pump, V drive and some other bits and peices are around that area!! the noise only happens for a second and then disappears and seems fine!! There is no lack of power and the boat performs fine but i am just concerned about this noise!! I wish i could explain it better but if anyone has ideas i would appreciate it!!

Danny
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-04-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
Sorry guys the engine is a Indmar Monsoon 340HP
Old     (john_d)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-04-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
It is air being sucked into the air filter.

(Message edited by john d on July 04, 2006)
Old     (ccraftskierfan)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-04-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
I have the same engine (04 Wakesetter, 340 Monsoon) and it has a whistling sound through the air filter element. This is normal.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-04-2006, 1:08 PM Reply   
Ha! my 05 has the same thing. At my last service they checked it out and said they could not find any problems, or the source. Of course it would not make the noise for them. It seems only to do it under load, in the water. I am going to have a mechanic friend get on my boat in the water and see if he can locate it. Probably nothing big.
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-04-2006, 1:13 PM Reply   
Hi there thanks for the quick reply, I only noticed it the other day although i have had the boat from new (It is possible that it have always been there, The music must have been to loud ha ha) The noise is only from the initial pull off and then goes, the quicker you accerelarate the quicker the noise goes and if you throttle up slow until you hear the noise and hold the throttle in this position it will stay!! Is this the same characteristics as yours?????
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-04-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
Also can you hear the whistle with the engine bay down!!
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-04-2006, 8:38 PM Reply   
If it's a whistle sound is probably your fuel pump.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-05-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
I have an 03 VLX and have the exact same noise. Its def a whistle sound. It starts at about the 600-800 rpm range then is gone by the time the boat hits 1,000 rpm. As stated above, my boat when new it never did it, but started last summer after about 300 hrs.

On mine I swear its coming from the prop. I know its not the belt, tranny, v drive. It really doesnt sound like from any where in the engine compartment. I will ck air filter next time out, but I swear its coming from under the boat.

Is there a bearing in the prop shaft strut??
Old     (face_smash)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-05-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
I did read that post Danny and to be honest i think all boat have their problems, regardless of make!!! I know people with brand new X-stars who have had nothing but problems, other people with super air natiques which again don't stop going wrong!!! The best one i herd of was a malibu turning too sharp and the wedge ripping the back of the boat of and the dam thing sunk!!!! So i think its all bulls**t every make has its problems!! Basically i think we should all give up and go ride the cable!!! ha ha. Seriously i love my boat so much and you have to take the rough with the smooth!!!
Old     (johnw)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-07-2006, 8:51 PM Reply   
Danny, For what it is worth I believe it to be the air intake noise as you accelerate out of the hole. I have a 03 VLX with a 340 horse indmar and it makes the same noise.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-08-2006, 6:45 PM Reply   
The whistle is the fuel pump and usually stems from a bad anti siphon valve. Have it checked because if it is the anti-siphon it will lead to fuel pump failure sooner or later. I have had this in everyone of my malibus and know others who had the same. My dealer actually replaces all the anti-siphons with new ones prior to delivery. I think this may be one reason malibu is changing to a new fuel system for 2007