Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-20-2014, 10:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle View Post
Ouch!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-20-2014, 11:12 AM Reply   
First off I wish Sherman didn't go crazy right after the game but as more comes out it is starting to make sense. Apparently this last offseason Crabtree ran his mouth and told sherman he was average. He also tried to fight Sherman. This was far more than just some smack talk during the game. This is truly personal. Sherman is by far the best corner in the league so it isnt' like he is making crap up. Crabtree on the other hand is a slightly above average WR that doesn't have the history and on the field play to back up his smack talk. Sherman got thrown at twice. One was a penalty on him and the other was a pass breakup that turned into a game winning pick. That is a great game.

As for the game I think there were a couple calls that went the Hawks way but one of the big one's didn't mean a single thing and actually probably helped the niners. Instead of getting the ball on their own 1 yard line they got the ball on their 10 or 15 after the Hawks fumbled. The running into the punter call was bad but then again so was the niner guy on the sideline hitting our gunner. The point is the refs didn't decide the game.

Game balls go to Doug Baldwin and Kam Chancellor. Those 2 had great games. Pretty soon Vernon Davis is just going to quit playing against the Hawks. Kam just destroys him.

And what the hell is that champ bailey garbage above? That might of been true 8 years ago but isn't even close right now. Champ Bailey hasn't been a top level cover corner in 5 years. That is just stupid. I am not sure if it has been brought up here yet but there is basically one stat that tells you how dominate Sherman is. He was the least targeted CB in the NFL but led the league in Picks. He is the best CB in the league and it isn't really even close.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-20-2014, 11:39 AM Reply   
Vernon Davis may just want to stay away from Kam Chancellor!

Last Year:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78qF72JwJwA

This year:
http://imgur.com/9pDrnvV
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       01-20-2014, 11:41 AM Reply   
Yes, CRUSHED & DESTROYED!!!
Lynch 109 yards, Gore only 14. Baldwin 106 yards (and a huge kickoff return), Boldin, Craptree, & Davis had a combied 121 yards. Wilson 104 passer rating, KaperPick had a 56.
The Hawks were nice enough to spot the 49ers 10 points and yet they still couldn't win.

Here's a little tip for the Offensive Coordinator on the 49ers, maybe don't throw it to Craptree the last play of the game. It has ended your season twice in a row now.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-20-2014, 12:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83Starsnstripes View Post
Yes, CRUSHED & DESTROYED!!!
Lynch 109 yards, Gore only 14. Baldwin 106 yards (and a huge kickoff return), Boldin, Craptree, & Davis had a combied 121 yards. Wilson 104 passer rating, KaperPick had a 56.
The Hawks were nice enough to spot the 49ers 10 points and yet they still couldn't win.
So Seattle's top rusher destroyed them with only 109 yards? Kaepernick had 130 rushing yards, that's 15 more than Seattle's total for the team and he's a QB! Sorry man, nobody was crushed or destroyed in this game.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-20-2014, 1:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
So Seattle's top rusher destroyed them with only 109 yards? Kaepernick had 130 rushing yards, that's 15 more than Seattle's total for the team and he's a QB! Sorry man, nobody was crushed or destroyed in this game.
Vernon Davis would probably disagree with that statement...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-20-2014, 11:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Apparently this last offseason Crabtree ran his mouth and told sherman he was average. He also tried to fight Sherman. This was far more than just some smack talk during the game. This is truly personal.
This was at a fundraiser Larry Ftiz was giving a while back....

This story was told / leaked by Sherman's brother... probably not too bais ehh?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-20-2014, 1:16 PM Reply   
I wouldn't say they were crushed at all. If kaeps last throw is a little more to the sidelines, and maybe 2 inches higher, the niners probably win. These two teams are probably as evenly matched as any teams in the league. Depending on the week, you could say Denver, SF, and seattle are the top 3 teams in the league, and you could probably flip flop # 1 a few times. It's now down to the #1 defense, vs. #1 offense. Crappy weather should lead to the #1 defense winning, but who knows with Peyton.
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       01-20-2014, 1:46 PM Reply   
Only people saying this was a close game are 49er fans. Coincidence??
BTW 49ers haven't been trucked for over 100 yards in over a year, so it's kind of a big deal. Can you guess who was the last RB to do it?? Can you??
Oh, and Lynch's 40 TD run was the longest against the 49ers all year.

Is this loss worse than losing in the Superbowl? It's gotta really suck losing to your rival. Especially in such a convincing fashion.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-20-2014, 4:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Only people saying this was a close game are 49er fans. Coincidence??
BTW 49ers haven't been trucked for over 100 yards in over a year, so it's kind of a big deal. Can you guess who was the last RB to do it?? Can you??
Oh, and Lynch's 40 TD run was the longest against the 49ers all year.

Is this loss worse than losing in the Superbowl? It's gotta really suck losing to your rival. Especially in such a convincing fashion.
Speaking of SMACK. Kaepernick trucked your porous LOB 11 times for 130 yards that's almost 12 yards a pop. Lynch was 22 for 109 just under 5 yards a pop. Both players lost 1 fumble. The Seahawks were beaten by the Cardinals by 7 so i guess that's annihilation?Week 5 the Colts must have compacted the Hawks 423 total yards 218 rushing yards 6 point win but 34 points hung on the LOB.Week 8 the Rams had 339 total yards 200 rushing . Talk about trucking. Week 9 trucked again by the BUCS at home 350 total yards 205 rushing.Week 14 the 49ers trucked them 318 total yards and 163 rushing yards. Week 16 TRASH TRUCKED AND DUMPED AT HOME by the Cardinals 307 total yards 139 rushing.Championship game 308 total yards 161 rushing Trucked yet again. But they were lucky the 49ers who led for more than 3 quarters finally fell apart and beat themselves with 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter that the mighty Hawks could only manage 10 points out of those gifts. Face it Manning will eat this team for lunch.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-20-2014, 5:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Speaking of SMACK. Kaepernick trucked your porous LOB 11 times for 130 yards that's almost 12 yards a pop. Lynch was 22 for 109 just under 5 yards a pop. Both players lost 1 fumble. The Seahawks were beaten by the Cardinals by 7 so i guess that's annihilation?Week 5 the Colts must have compacted the Hawks 423 total yards 218 rushing yards 6 point win but 34 points hung on the LOB.Week 8 the Rams had 339 total yards 200 rushing . Talk about trucking. Week 9 trucked again by the BUCS at home 350 total yards 205 rushing.Week 14 the 49ers trucked them 318 total yards and 163 rushing yards. Week 16 TRASH TRUCKED AND DUMPED AT HOME by the Cardinals 307 total yards 139 rushing.Championship game 308 total yards 161 rushing Trucked yet again. But they were lucky the 49ers who led for more than 3 quarters finally fell apart and beat themselves with 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter that the mighty Hawks could only manage 10 points out of those gifts. Face it Manning will eat this team for lunch.
is that who is going to do now Bobby? It's been so many different qbs that you were confident could dominate us that I've lost count.

If folks on here think Seattle fans are going to be trolling for a fight with Bronco fans you're probably going to be dissapointed. We don't have any history with them, they're not whiny little bitches who make excuses for everyone of their losses and they're smart enough not to start smack talking with the best secondary in the NFL.

This game will be a straight up exhibition of the best offense vs. the best defense in the leauge. I'm of the mind that you don't bet against defense especially when the other team hasn't got one.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-20-2014, 6:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
is that who is going to do now Bobby? It's been so many different qbs that you were confident could dominate us that I've lost count.

If folks on here think Seattle fans are going to be trolling for a fight with Bronco fans you're probably going to be dissapointed. We don't have any history with them, they're not whiny little bitches who make excuses for everyone of their losses and they're smart enough not to start smack talking with the best secondary in the NFL.

This game will be a straight up exhibition of the best offense vs. the best defense in the leauge. I'm of the mind that you don't bet against defense especially when the other team hasn't got one.
That's not what the Patriots offense had to say.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2014, 7:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
You don't? Not that long ago Seattle was in the AFC West with the Broncos.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2014, 9:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
You don't? Not that long ago Seattle was in the AFC West with the Broncos.
I'm aware of that. I wear my tattered 1999 AFC WEST Champs shirt every game for good luck. But let's be honest there isn't really any bad blood between the the two teams these days. The Niners game was epic due to a deep seated hatred of our biggest rivals. The Superbowl will be epic for the simple fact that the #1 offense is matching up against the #1 defense. I'm just excited to see how we match up against Manning and Co.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-20-2014, 1:52 PM Reply   
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/01/mich...-championship/
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-20-2014, 1:59 PM Reply   
I'm not a 49ers fan, I'm a Denver Broncos fan!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-20-2014, 2:04 PM Reply   
Darren, I'm a cowboys fan, and I hate the niners. But to say this wasnt a close game, when one pass at the end of the game decided the game is just ludacris.
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       01-20-2014, 2:08 PM Reply   
^^^Please reread the title of this thread and get back to me.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-20-2014, 2:13 PM Reply   
http://www.seattleweekly.com/home/95...n-beats-by-dre
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-20-2014, 8:17 PM Reply   
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soc...ive/?eref=sihp

Interesting perspective.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-20-2014, 8:30 PM Reply   
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-20-2014, 8:31 PM Reply   
You fools can throw all the stats out you want but the one that matters most is this one

Seattle 23-San Fran 17
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-20-2014, 8:35 PM Reply   
Markj, its impressive you can call Sherman out and they say the type of stuff you say to me and the other Hawks fans on here. Maybe you should hold yourself to the same standards you do Sherman. You remind of the idiots on Twitter that we're going off on him all while throwing around racial slurs.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-20-2014, 9:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatepain View Post
Markj, its impressive you can call Sherman out and they say the type of stuff you say to me and the other Hawks fans on here. Maybe you should hold yourself to the same standards you do Sherman. You remind of the idiots on Twitter that we're going off on him all while throwing around racial slurs.
No racial slurs here. Sherman is a POS no matter what color he is. Funny you should throw race into it. It just shows how weak your argument is for him not being a total POS when you know he is. I base my words on his actions. Wanna try and defend those? Good luck.......
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-20-2014, 10:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
No racial slurs here. Sherman is a POS no matter what color he is. Funny you should throw race into it. It just shows how weak your argument is for him not being a total POS when you know he is. I base my words on his actions. Wanna try and defend those? Good luck.......
That's too bad you think that.. Sherman is a good dude who plays with a ton of emotion but likes to run his mouth more than most of us think is necessary. He got caught up in the moment and well it made for some really great TV. His trash talking is what gives him the chip on his shoulder that he plays with...and although you may not like it, he so far, has backed up all that trash talk.... so as long as he continues to do that, if you are going to judge him, then you'll have to judge all the other players that ever talked trash constantly and backed it up. i.e Dieon Sanders, Muhamed Ali, Gary Payton, Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Lawrence Taylor, Kevin Garnett, John Randle, Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, Charles Barkley.. shall I go on?

Defended
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-20-2014, 11:32 PM Reply   
While we may disagree about civility on the football field, there really ought to be civility on wakeworld.

A couple of funny pics I stole from the web...
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-21-2014, 6:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by markj View Post
I wasn't pulling race into it where you are concerned at all just using it as an example of your hypocrisy. No, I don't think Sherman is a POS. He has already apologized for his comments and recognized that they were over the top and inappropriate. He's very philanthropic with his Blanket Coverage charity and with his time. I think he's a good person but not because of anything he does on the field bit for who he is off the field.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-20-2014, 9:59 PM Reply   
Quote:
Exactly. I don't remember where I read this, but someone said something along the lines of this: loving the fact that drunks are screaming and cursing at their Tv's in front of women and kids, and are calling Sherman "classless". I laughed my ass of when I read that.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2014, 6:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrigo View Post
Exactly. I don't remember where I read this, but someone said something along the lines of this: loving the fact that drunks are screaming and cursing at their Tv's in front of women and kids, and are calling Sherman "classless". I laughed my ass of when I read that.
You mean like this guy...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...gn=programming

Seriously...
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-20-2014, 9:50 PM Reply   
To say the Hawks crushed/destroyed the 49ERs is just stupid. KAP destroyed the 49ERs.

The 49ERs were ahead 17-13 to start the 4th quarter before the Hawks went ahead 20-17 after the 49ERs DBs gave up a pathetic 35 yard touchdown on 4th and 6. Minutes later, KAP fumbled not noticing obvious backside pressure giving Seattle the ball on the SF 6 yard line. Seattle failed to score. Minutes later, KAP threw a INT throwing the ball right to Chancellor on 1st and 10 giving Seattle the ball on the SF 40 yard line. Seattle got a field goal. KAP drove from the SF 22 to SEA 18 before throwing another INT in the end zone on 1st and 10 giving up the game.

KAP's first INT gave away 3 points that should have been 7. KAP's second INT gave away the game.

Seattle is just a great D with an awesome RB named Lynch. Wilson is an up an comer but not impressive at this point. I am not sure this will be enough to beat the Broncos. I think Seattle is going to need some help from the weather to keep themselves in the game.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-20-2014, 9:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddad View Post
To say the Hawks crushed/destroyed the 49ERs is just stupid. KAP destroyed the 49ERs.

The 49ERs were ahead 17-13 to start the 4th quarter before the Hawks went ahead 20-17 after the 49ERs DBs gave up a pathetic 35 yard touchdown on 4th and 6. Minutes later, KAP fumbled not noticing obvious backside pressure giving Seattle the ball on the SF 6 yard line. Seattle failed to score. Minutes later, KAP threw a INT throwing the ball right to Chancellor on 1st and 10 giving Seattle the ball on the SF 40 yard line. Seattle got a field goal. KAP drove from the SF 22 to SEA 18 before throwing another INT in the end zone on 1st and 10 giving up the game.

KAP's first INT gave away 3 points that should have been 7. KAP's second INT gave away the game.

Seattle is just a great D with an awesome RB named Lynch. Wilson is an up an comer but not impressive at this point. I am not sure this will be enough to beat the Broncos. I think Seattle is going to need some help from the weather to keep themselves in the game.
100% accurate on everything you said.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-20-2014, 10:28 PM Reply   
Quote:

I don't disagree with much of what you've got here from Sundays game. Kaep pretty much caved under the pressure. Wilson has been impressive at times this season, and unimpressive at times. It's a fact that he got this team where they are. And he's set plenty of records doing it. A Superbowl in his second year. Hard to discredit that.
As for the SB, I think the Hawks have a really good shot. It's the best Defense in the L vs the best Offense in the L... which is a great matchup. And Peyton is incredible. But the fact is that going up against the somewhat soft D of Denver should help Seattle get some traction in their offense. And Denver has put up historic numbers on offense, but they haven't really faced any good defenses all season. Seriously... the best D's they've seen have been who? Houston? The Giants? And those aren't even in the same stratosphere as the Seahawks. I'm not sure they'd be sniffing a Superbowl if they were in the NFC.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-21-2014, 4:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by digg311 View Post
I don't disagree with much of what you've got here from Sundays game. Kaep pretty much caved under the pressure. Wilson has been impressive at times this season, and unimpressive at times. It's a fact that he got this team where they are. And he's set plenty of records doing it. A Superbowl in his second year. Hard to discredit that.
As for the SB, I think the Hawks have a really good shot. It's the best Defense in the L vs the best Offense in the L... which is a great matchup. And Peyton is incredible. But the fact is that going up against the somewhat soft D of Denver should help Seattle get some traction in their offense. And Denver has put up historic numbers on offense, but they haven't really faced any good defenses all season. Seriously... the best D's they've seen have been who? Houston? The Giants? And those aren't even in the same stratosphere as the Seahawks. I'm not sure they'd be sniffing a Superbowl if they were in the NFC.
Common opponents Jaguars,Texans,Colts,Titans and Giants.The Broncos beat the Texans by 14 more points than the Hawks.The Broncos beat the Titans by 31 more points than the Hawks. The Broncos scored 5 more points against the Colts than the Hawks.The Broncos beat the Giants by 18 more points than the Hawks.Let's not even get into how many more points the Broncos scored this season than the Hawks as it's not even in the same stratosphere!
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-21-2014, 8:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Common opponents Jaguars,Texans,Colts,Titans and Giants.The Broncos beat the Texans by 14 more points than the Hawks.The Broncos beat the Titans by 31 more points than the Hawks. The Broncos scored 5 more points against the Colts than the Hawks.The Broncos beat the Giants by 18 more points than the Hawks.Let's not even get into how many more points the Broncos scored this season than the Hawks as it's not even in the same stratosphere!
Nice work actually making sense and posting, you know, football stuff.

But obviously you don't understand how the Seahawks are built vs. how the Broncos are built. The Seahawks game plan isn't built around scoring gaudy point numbers. It's built around defense and running with aggression and beating up an opposing D... shifting the game to their favor as the opponent wears down. Want an example? Look at Marshawn Lynch's yards on Sunday in the first half compared to the second half.
They make teams one dimensional... and then let their all-universe defense protect against that one dimension. Kinda like, you know, how Kaep had a fumble and two interceptions as the game was winding down.

Now, Manning is a whole different story than Kaep. But I've watched him flounder in playoff games before. Seattle has tools that match up extremely well with the kind of game Denver plays. Sherman is shutdown, but the Broncos have several talented receivers... it's a good thing that the rest of the Seattle secondary is unbelievably good as well. Their 2nd stringers would be starters on most teams. And with their speed rushers, Seattle has just the kind of pass rush that can give a great Denver front problems. And we all know Manning doesn't run. If Seattle can pressure him with a 3 or 4 man rush, they will win. If they can't get to him, he could dissect them... as he has done to teams all season. Except, like I said before... he hasn't faced a Defense as talented as Seattle all year. And Seattle has scored enough to win over several defenses better than Denvers.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-20-2014, 11:43 PM Reply   
BTW, did you notice that Vernon Davis did very little against the Seahawks while Boldin and Crabtree were holding their own. A big part of Seattle's game is physical/mental intimidation and some players handle it better than others. Seahawk LB Michael Bennett ripped Saint's TE Jimmy Graham calling him soft and overrated. With this in mind, I wonder if the Broncos are well prepared for the gang fight that Seattle brings (at least at home).
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-21-2014, 2:42 AM Reply   
I am sure this is old news for most. I had not seen these crazy interviews before...

Last edited by diamonddad; 01-21-2014 at 2:48 AM.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-21-2014, 2:48 AM Reply   
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-21-2014, 6:36 AM Reply   
Saw that Cliff it was hilarious but he looks like a pretty young kid. Still funny stuff though.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-21-2014, 6:48 AM Reply   
He got something right. He's the best Corner in the NFL
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-21-2014, 6:53 AM Reply   
Teams that have gone to the Super Bowl with the #1 defense are 12-3

Teams that have gone to the Super Bowl with best scoring defense 6-0

QB's who've gone to the Super Bowl having lead the league in passing 0-4

Last defense to lead the league in total yards/passing yards/scoring...85 Chicago Bears
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2014, 7:14 AM Reply   
Stats are just that stats, all comes down to game day where the team that wants it more wins.
Denver vs Seattle lifetime:
Denver Broncos lead series 34-19-0
Points Scored: Denver Broncos 1229, Seattle Seahawks 1042
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-21-2014, 7:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Stats are just that stats, all comes down to game day where the team that wants it more wins.
Denver vs Seattle lifetime:
Denver Broncos lead series 34-19-0
Points Scored: Denver Broncos 1229, Seattle Seahawks 1042
LOL..its been so long Cliff has forgotten how much we hated them back in the AFC West. Hell me too so much so I became a psuedo fan (thanks Time Tebow). I've always loved Peyton Manning and believe him to be the best QB ever but make no mistake I still can't stand John Elway

The funny thing is that aside from the Seahawks, the Steelers were my second favorite team (distant second) because my family is all from there. Now I hate them!

Yep its official, I hate the Broncos.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-21-2014, 7:16 AM Reply   
From the Huffington Post

What Richard Sherman Taught Us About America

Isaac Saul01/20/14 05:34 PM ET

"I'm the best corner[back] in the game. When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you going to get." --Richard Sherman

That's the quote that got America talking.

The man behind it was Seattle Seahawks all-pro defensive back Richard Sherman, a guy whose mouth is about the only thing louder than his game.

In the moments after Sherman's post-game interview, Twitter exploded. People called him everything from a "thug" to a "disgrace," and even Justin Verlander - a professional pitcher for the Detroit Tigers - suggested that Sherman would get "high and tight" fastballs if he were in the MLB. On top of that, tweets and memes like the one below spread like wildfire.

#Truth I can't stand him!! The reason why I hate the Seahawks! pic.twitter.com/2IECYsANaT

— Kelly Michelle (@kelly_MichelleJ) January 20, 2014
But from my perspective, the heat Sherman is getting is not just misguided but ludicrous. This is a guy who represents one of the best kinds of sports stories there is in the world: the rise from the bottom, the profound destruction of obstacles, the honest success story built by a foundation of hard work and loving parents. If anyone with a brain took the time to learn about Richard Sherman, and then put him in the context of the rest of the National Football League, he'd be a pretty hard guy to bash.

Firstly, we're talking about a 25-year-old who came out of the streets of Compton, California. Sherman graduated from one of the worst school districts in the United States, one that boasts a high-school graduation rate of 57 percent. In a country where 68 percent of all federal and state inmates are lacking a high school diploma, you could say Sherman avoided a horrifying fate. But to say he "got lucky" or "escaped" would be foolhardy. He didn't "just graduate," either. He finished with a 4.2 GPA, second in his class, and went on to Stanford University, one of the most prestigious places to get an education in the entire world. He busted out in a rocket ship. He went from a world of gang violence and drugs to everything that Palo Alto and Stanford University represent.

And where did Mr. Sherman get the work ethic to put up those grades and make it to a school that offers that kind of education? Probably from his father, Kevin, who has worked in the sanitation department for Los Angeles for more than thirty years. But you won't see that on Sherman's stat sheet, and you definitely won't hear about it when ESPN analysts comment on his post-game interview today. Most interesting, though, is that Sherman's story isn't a big secret. NFL Films has even done a short documentary on "the trash-talking cornerback."

So now, America, let's talk about Richard Sherman in the NFL. Let's talk about the Stanford graduate from Compton who has never been arrested, never cursed in a post-game interview, never been accused of being a dirty player, started his own charitable non-profit, and won an appeal in the only thing close to a smudge on his record.

This past off-season, 31 NFL players were arrested for everything from gun charges and driving under the Influence to murder.

Last year, Kansas City Chiefs player Javon Belcher killed Kasandra Perkins, his girlfriend and the mother of his own child, before taking his own life.

Week in and week out, we sit down in front of our televisions and cheer for these freak athletes to destroy each other's bodies in one of the most brutal games known to man. Most of us probably do it with a beer in our hand, screaming and cursing at our TVs in a desperate hope to change the outcome of the game. We ignore how the NFL's owners use our tax money so freely, and we don't seem to care much about the brain damage retired players suffer from every year.

Yet, when one kid who has overcome everything, one kid who was doubted by the very player he overcame on Sunday, decides to emphatically claim he is the best (by the way: he is), this is what upsets us? Man, could you imagine if this generation had to deal with Muhammad Ali?

Last night, when Richard Sherman went on his rant to Erin Andrews, most of America thought they were learning about the arrogance of another NFL player. But in reality, what Richard Sherman did was teach us about ourselves. He taught us that we're still a country that isn't ready for lower-class Americans from neighborhoods like Compton to succeed. We're still a country that can't decipher a person's character. But most of all, he taught us that no matter what you overcome in your life, we're still a country that can't accept someone if they're a little louder, a little prouder, or a little different from the people we surround ourselves with.

In the words of the great Richard Sherman, there is only one question: You mad, bro?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2014, 7:30 AM Reply   
LOL! See, I just had to dig deep enough to find your true feelings!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2014, 7:36 AM Reply   
The real question is, is Sherman ready for the 5-10 club? 5 receivers with 10+ touchdowns each.
http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bronc...s-five-10-club
The Broncos have five players who finished the regular season with at least 10 touchdowns. Five. No other team in league history has had more than three. Sherman can't be everywhere...
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2014, 7:38 AM Reply   
Here's the list of records that the Broncos set this year (of course they would trade ALL of them for a Super Bowl win):
http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/1...peyton-manning
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-21-2014, 9:07 AM Reply   
should be a great matchup for sure. One thing is sure, Denver hasn't faced the best secondary in the league this year. I would guess we will see a lot of nickel with Walter Thurmond(would start for most if not all other teams in the NFL), Maxwell, Sherman, Kam and Earl. If the Hawks can get a pass rush with their 4 down lineman they could cause some major problems.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-21-2014, 9:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
should be a great matchup for sure. One thing is sure, Denver hasn't faced the best secondary in the league this year. I would guess we will see a lot of nickel with Walter Thurmond(would start for most if not all other teams in the NFL), Maxwell, Sherman, Kam and Earl. If the Hawks can get a pass rush with their 4 down lineman they could cause some major problems.
Ha! Which is pretty much what I said... only, better and with fewer words.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-21-2014, 11:48 AM Reply   
In the "super bowl" on the big stage vs Peyton Manning the "legend", I suspect the referees may not allow the LOB to hold/grab/tug on every pass play. This could really cramp Seattle's style. No 12th man and no holding makes Seattle's defense near average. And, as we know, Seattle's offense is currently average at best. IMO, Seattle's only chance is really bad weather and referees unwilling to call the game accurately.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2014, 12:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
In the "super bowl" on the big stage vs Peyton Manning the "legend", I suspect the referees may not allow the LOB to hold/grab/tug on every pass play. This could really cramp Seattle's style. No 12th man and no holding makes Seattle's defense near average. And, as we know, Seattle's offense is currently average at best. IMO, Seattle's only chance is really bad weather and referees unwilling to call the game accurately.
The leauge will continue to allow chippy play simply because the fans love to watch it. Pick any game in the playoffs this year and you saw it. That and the fact that you're overlooking the ability of the rest of our D to reek havoc on an imobile qb.

Seattle's record shows they do just fine on the road.

As for the 12th man... you're aware that the game isn't going to be of limits to them correct? 18 thousand Seahawk ticket holders can and will be more of a distraction than you might think. They've made themselves rather obvious on the road this year.

As for our offense, we'll be going up against the ninteenth rated defense in the leauge not the elite teams we've come accustomed to going against past few weeks. I highly doubt Cable is going to keep Russell on his chain for this game either. I bet we see a lot more of the read option mixed with deep ball passes, especially with Percy back in the mix.

I truly believe Seattle is the bigger, faster, stronger, louder team. In the end one man isnt going to be able to pull off a miracle on his own just because his last name is Manning...

Last edited by seattle; 01-21-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-21-2014, 4:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
The leauge will continue to allow chippy play simply because the fans love to watch it. Pick any game in the playoffs this year and you saw it. That and the fact that you're overlooking the ability of the rest of our D to reek havoc on an imobile qb.

Seattle's record shows they do just fine on the road.

As for the 12th man... you're aware that the game isn't going to be of limits to them correct? 18 thousand Seahawk ticket holders can and will be more of a distraction than you might think. They've made themselves rather obvious on the road this year.

As for our offense, we'll be going up against the ninteenth rated defense in the leauge not the elite teams we've come accustomed to going against past few weeks. I highly doubt Cable is going to keep Russell on his chain for this game either. I bet we see a lot more of the read option mixed with deep ball passes, especially with Percy back in the mix.

I truly believe Seattle is the bigger, faster, stronger, louder team. In the end one man isnt going to be able to pull off a miracle on his own just because his last name is Manning...
Let's look at the Statements [opinions] you just mentioned.

1 Chippy play - Facts support this statement
2- Seattle D Reek havoc on immobile QB - Peyton Manning was only sacked 18 times during the regular season and Russell Wilson was sacked 44 times.Okay let's up the anti Playoffs 2 games each Peyton 6 sacks Wilson 7 sacks.So much for immobile QB's!
3-Seating Capacity of Met Life Stadium 82566. 18,000 ticket holder aren't going to dominate the # of fans Sherman just added to the Broncos.LOL
4 - 19TH rated Defense- The Broncos were 13-3 and Seattle was13-3. Two road losses and one home loss for both teams. Their common opponent in those losses was the Colts on the road for both teams. The Broncos scored 33 points and allowed 39 points to the Colts with their 19th rated Defense. The Seahawks scored 28 points and allowed 34 points with their #1 defense. Both lost by 6 points.

His last name is Manning VS. last name Wilson

Manning 450 comp 659 att 68.3% 5477 yards 8.3 avg 342.3 per game 55 TD's 10 Int's 18 sacks 115.1 Rating #1 in the league
Wilson 257 comp 407 att 61.7% 3357 yards 6.7 avg 209 per game 26 TD's 9 Int's 44 SACKS
101.2 rating #16

PLAYOFF Manning vs. Wilson

Manning 57 comp 79 att 72.2% 630 yards 9.0 avg 387 per game 4 TD's 1 int. 4 sacks 107 rating #2 based on yards # 3 based on QB rating

Wilson 25 comp 43 att 58.1% 318 yards 7.4 avg 159 per game 1 TD 0 Int 7 sacks 89.1 rating #9 based on yards #6 based on QB rating.

Bottom line……. I'd rather have a highly intelligent QB who isn't very mobile vs a mobile, gun shy , 2nd year , inexperienced QB any day!
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2014, 5:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Let's look at the Statements [opinions] you just mentioned.

1 Chippy play - Facts support this statement
2- Seattle D Reek havoc on immobile QB - Peyton Manning was only sacked 18 times during the regular season and Russell Wilson was sacked 44 times.Okay let's up the anti Playoffs 2 games each Peyton 6 sacks Wilson 7 sacks.So much for immobile QB's!
3-Seating Capacity of Met Life Stadium 82566. 18,000 ticket holder aren't going to dominate the # of fans Sherman just added to the Broncos.LOL
4 - 19TH rated Defense- The Broncos were 13-3 and Seattle was13-3. Two road losses and one home loss for both teams. Their common opponent in those losses was the Colts on the road for both teams. The Broncos scored 33 points and allowed 39 points to the Colts with their 19th rated Defense. The Seahawks scored 28 points and allowed 34 points with their #1 defense. Both lost by 6 points.

His last name is Manning VS. last name Wilson

Manning 450 comp 659 att 68.3% 5477 yards 8.3 avg 342.3 per game 55 TD's 10 Int's 18 sacks 115.1 Rating #1 in the league
Wilson 257 comp 407 att 61.7% 3357 yards 6.7 avg 209 per game 26 TD's 9 Int's 44 SACKS
101.2 rating #16

PLAYOFF Manning vs. Wilson

Manning 57 comp 79 att 72.2% 630 yards 9.0 avg 387 per game 4 TD's 1 int. 4 sacks 107 rating #2 based on yards # 3 based on QB rating

Wilson 25 comp 43 att 58.1% 318 yards 7.4 avg 159 per game 1 TD 0 Int 7 sacks 89.1 rating #9 based on yards #6 based on QB rating.

Bottom line……. I'd rather have a highly intelligent QB who isn't very mobile vs a mobile, gun shy , 2nd year , inexperienced QB any day!
All I read in that was " I'm not looking forward to being wronged by the Hawks again" I don't need stats to know we're going to win. You on the other hand love them even they're constantly leaving you scratching your head when the Hawks win...
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2014, 12:01 PM Reply   
I don't know too many Broncos fans that talk a lot of smack, we've been let down way too many times to be too cocky! Everyone I know didn't breathe easy until about 1:00 left in Sundays game!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-21-2014, 12:48 PM Reply   
I'm interested to see how many targets Big Perm Sherm will get.
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       01-21-2014, 12:52 PM Reply   
GD, give up the "holding" argument. The one hold the 49ers got on Sherman was weak at best. Even Har-bag didn't complain about the refs after the game.

Pretty excited about this SB. Hawks finally get some decent competition. Kind of bored watching the Hawks destroy/crush "mediocre" teams. (Had to channel my inner Sherman for that smack talk)
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-21-2014, 1:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
GD, give up the "holding" argument. The one hold the 49ers got on Sherman was weak at best. Even Har-bag didn't complain about the refs after the game.

Pretty excited about this SB. Hawks finally get some decent competition. Kind of bored watching the Hawks destroy/crush "mediocre" teams. (Had to channel my inner Sherman for that smack talk)
No kidding. Constantly using the holding argument is such a cop out. Both teams get the same calls/non-calls... let it go. If you watch the Sea/SF matchup, there was plenty to gripe about... but it went both ways. Just watch the last important play of the game. You remember it, right? The one where Richard Sherman gets pushed in the back by Crabtree? But no one called it and Richard fought through it to make up the ground and make a career play to ice the game. Veteran receivers make those little pushes to create separation all the time. It's not legal, but I sure as heck don't want it called unless it's crazy-egregious. Same goes for Defensive holding and DPI. Let the players play and stop whining.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-21-2014, 1:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Kind of bored watching the Hawks destroy/crush "mediocre" teams. (Had to channel my inner Sherman for that smack talk)
You are confusing smack talk with stupid talk. Smack talk needs to have a basis of truth. Sherman knows this.

BTW, did you notice that Sherman got away with holding on one of Crabtree's catches. This is the only one I know about since the TV coverage spent time it and I have not reviewed the coaches film on nflrewind. Anyhow, I am willing to bet that there was holding on most every play and the refs did not call it unless KAP threw the ball. Pete Carrol deserves recognition for his exploitation of the referee mindset in the playoffs. I would like to see the Niners picking up this practice. Fight fire with fire.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-21-2014, 1:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
You are confusing smack talk with stupid talk. Smack talk needs to have a basis of truth. Sherman knows this.

BTW, did you notice that Sherman got away with holding on one of Crabtree's catches. This is the only one I know about since the TV coverage spent time it and I have not reviewed the coaches film on nflrewind. Anyhow, I am willing to bet that there was holding on most every play and the refs did not call it unless KAP threw the ball. Pete Carrol deserves recognition for his exploitation of the referee mindset in the playoffs. I would like to see the Niners picking up this practice. Fight fire with fire.
If "basis of truth" is the standard, then you just negated about 75% of everything you have said on this thread so far!

Truth is, show me any play in the NFL and I can find you multiple holds, (both offensive and defensive, lineman and secondary) as well as push-offs by receivers - btw did you notice the push-off by Crabtree on the last play? watch the video, he shoves Sherman in the back to get separation and there was no call... no matter, Crab still got owned despite it!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2014, 1:43 PM Reply   
Sign in the Denver area today...
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2014, 1:45 PM Reply   
Seemed like the refs were mainly concerned about holds where someone got knocked down (in both games). I think they really just wanted to let them play and be as competitive as possible. We would all be bitchin about the number of penalties if they didn't let them play...
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       01-21-2014, 1:46 PM Reply   
^^^I guess there are stereotypes for a reason...fortywhiners.
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       01-21-2014, 1:48 PM Reply   
Who is that guy on the left side of that sign?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-21-2014, 1:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Who is that guy on the left side of that sign?
LOL! He's the former best Corner Back in the league!

NFL records
Most Pro Bowl selections for a cornerback (12)
Youngest player to intercept 3 passes in a game (21) (at Arizona Cardinals, 10/17/99)
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       01-21-2014, 2:20 PM Reply   
^^^ I thought I recognized him.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/baltimore-...-32-yd-pass-TD
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-21-2014, 3:19 PM Reply   
I am only whining because my team doesn't have it. If I was a defensive coordinator, I would be coaching my team to perfect their holding/grabbing/tugging technique all season long just like the Seahawks. There are 4 related premises... 1) if the DB interferes enough to cause the QB to not throw it, then the REF will likely not throw a flag, 2) if the DB interferes to this level often enough the REF's basis for a foul will change, 3) we will likely win more than we lose in yards/games and 4) once we get to the playoffs we will be better prepared for stopping people with almost NO chance of a flag. A team that has perfected "under the playoff radar" holding is much better prepared for the playoffs.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-21-2014, 3:29 PM Reply   
Plus, holding is a relative minor foul of 5 yards and 1st down. Thus, holding on early downs makes a ton of sense. It allows the DB to feel out the REF and modify the REFs perception.
Old     (83Starsnstripes)      Join Date: Jul 2013       01-21-2014, 4:26 PM Reply   
Will the 49ers resign Boldin, Whitner, Nixon, and Goodwin?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-21-2014, 5:02 PM Reply   
Holy crap Bobby you'll take the best QB of all time over a sent and year QB? Huge surprise!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-21-2014, 5:03 PM Reply   
You guys hear that all but one of the Niners pussed out or were to broken after playing the Hawks to play in the Pro Bowl.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-21-2014, 5:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
You guys hear that all but one of the Niners pussed out or were to broken after playing the Hawks to play in the Pro Bowl.
Now the Cowboys have 5 players in the Pro Bowl. LOL
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2014, 5:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Now the Cowboys have 5 players in the Pro Bowl. LOL
Bet they're gonna love hanging their participation badges on the wall...
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-21-2014, 6:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Bet they're gonna love hanging their participation badges on the wall...
They will certainly love the FREE VACATION!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-21-2014, 5:08 PM Reply   
For the record I enjoy GD's contribution to this thread. I will agree the argument regarding the Hawks secondary is a bit tired. It falls under the "If a tree falls in the woods...well you know the rest.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2014, 5:41 PM Reply   
Yo!

Dave Williams!

Could you please hurry up and document the fact that you're rooting for Denver... It will all but lock in a win for my Hawks.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-21-2014, 6:25 PM Reply   
I'm watching Piers Morgan Live and they opened with a spot on Sherman and his post game interview. Rachel Nichols did an interview with him today which was great (if you don't recall she was an ESPN anchor) and she said a couple things I found interesting. One was that she said she wasn't at all surprised by the comments because we (sports anchors/interviewers) see this all the time. Second was she said we ask these guys to go out on the field and be gladiators in the most violent game and then to ask them to immediately turn it off is ridiculous. I also found it interesting that Piers new little to nothing about Sherman but after digging into who he is found that he quite liked him and his story. I'd encourage you to do the same thing then if you feel you're still worthy to judge him go ahead.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-21-2014, 7:16 PM Reply   
The weeks leading up to the Super Bowl can be serious pressure cookers for the players with the media blitz. Sherman's big mouth has put most of the pressure on Seattle. Broncos are going to fly under the radar. Sherman has hurt his team leading up to the big game.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-21-2014, 7:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry1167 View Post
The weeks leading up to the Super Bowl can be serious pressure cookers for the players with the media blitz. Sherman's big mouth has put most of the pressure on Seattle. Broncos are going to fly under the radar. Sherman has hurt his team leading up to the big game.
I disagree. I think Sherman's big mouth has put the pressure on SHERMAN. And taken it off the rest of the guys. And he can handle it. May turn out to have been genius after all.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-21-2014, 7:48 PM Reply   
^ if they are a true team they will feel like they need to back him up which adds pressure. Either way less pressure on Broncos.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-22-2014, 6:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry1167 View Post
Some atheletes thrive on pressure like this. Look at Mayweather, Ali, Deon, Keshawn, Moss and on and on... Sherman and the entire defense for that matter love it when the media questions their ability. I'ts pure motivation.

The whole Sherman thing has me scratching my head... When did the NFL and it's fans morph into such wussies??? This is football! A sport where players spend the entire game trying to knock the ish out of eachother. Fans have become such sensitive whimpy whiners it's pathetic.

If you dont' like brash, vicious, outspoken warriors you've chosen the wrong sport and need to move on to tennis or golf or baseball. These sports will probably suit your sensitive emotional commitments much better than a sport where warriors beat on one another and speak their minds.

Last edited by seattle; 01-22-2014 at 6:23 AM.
Old     (larry1167)      Join Date: Jun 2010       01-22-2014, 7:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Some atheletes thrive on pressure like this. Look at Mayweather, Ali, Deon, Keshawn, Moss and on and on... Sherman and the entire defense for that matter love it when the media questions their ability. I'ts pure motivation.

The whole Sherman thing has me scratching my head... When did the NFL and it's fans morph into such wussies??? This is football! A sport where players spend the entire game trying to knock the ish out of eachother. Fans have become such sensitive whimpy whiners it's pathetic.

If you dont' like brash, vicious, outspoken warriors you've chosen the wrong sport and need to move on to tennis or golf or baseball. These sports will probably suit your sensitive emotional commitments much better than a sport where warriors beat on one another and speak their minds.
Easy there Cliff. Don't go all Sherman. The Seahawks still haven't won a Super Bowl so comparing them to someone like Ali is silly at this point. We will see how they handle the pressure soon enough.

Sherman is a smart guy. His comments in the heat of the moment shouldn't be a big deal but when he had time to cool off and still attacked Crabtree in the press conference he went over the line in my opinion.