Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (osealy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-22-2007, 7:00 AM Reply   
I just bought a 90 ish DD 350 chev (camero Pintara) used only on fresh. I live in the coast so I'm worried about the salt. Cast aluminium exhaust manifolds etc.
What is the cheapest FULL closed cooling system I can get. Can it be less than $600. I have to get it shipped to Ireland.
What do you salt guys do? At present i use an O/board.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-23-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
Back when I ran in salt we just flushed and rinsed the motor after each outing. Initial coating of Rust Oleum clear on the motor and annual spray down with WD-40 also helped. There are some articles in the archive here or on Planet Nautique explaining how the San Diego Aquatic Center preps their boats, they pretty much have it down. On a 90 ish boat DD I don't think I would invest in fresh cooling.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-24-2007, 2:30 AM Reply   
Don't put closed cooling on anything that not new or nearly new. Existing corrosion and sediment inside the block (even if previosly run on fresh) will block up you heat exchanger.

I wouldn't worry about the damage on the block. It will never rust out, just flush through regually and you'll be fine. I've run boats in salt for 20+ years.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-24-2007, 4:13 AM Reply   
I think the mixed metals in that engine will be a major problem with salt. I only know one person who has that combination and heads failed after 2 seasons despite throuogh flushing after every use. I would find a closed cooling kit. Here is a link to one company. They are around $600. I have never used one of these.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-24-2007, 8:28 AM Reply   
I have a boat with an aluminum engine, so I'm interested in this topic. There are a couple of guys on my site who are doing it to their boats, there is a company called Monitor Products that makes the parts. I think they probably make the parts for all the manufacturers, kinda like heaters and pp :-). Anyway, some of the guys are installing from a factory kit (bunch of hoses+heat exchanger) and one guy is piecing his system together for the go fast he's making using the Lexus M1UZ V8 engine.

Here's the thread. http://www.epicmarine.com/forum4/index.php?topic=1087.0

If you go to the Maintenance part of my forum, there's a for a PDF showing the installation of a closed loop cooling system.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-24-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
Owen,

I re-read your post. There is no such thing as a FULL closed cooling system. All closed cooling systems run the raw water through the exhaust manifolds.

George,
Motors with aluminum heads (like the corvette motors) generally require closed cooling. Aluminum exhaust manifolds are not as much as an issue. Nearly every offshore boat runs aluminum exhaust and raw water cooling.

The biggest problem with running in salt we experienced was with leaky boats, closed or open cooling. Whipping around the slalom course with 1" of salty water in the bilge was the cause of almost all troubles. Keeping the bilge dry is key when running in salt.
Old     (osealy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-27-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
I believe that a half system for about $400 cools only the block. That a full system cools block & manifolds. The boat only has 250 hrs & seems corrosion free. The boat is australian ,so I don't want to be replacing the manifolds if they have to come from oz. Both the cam covers & exhaust manifolds are ally cast with SUPER CHEV no risers or anything.What happens to the tranny cooler? It's inline with the raw water pickup.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-27-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
Mikeski wrote:
"There is no such thing as a FULL closed cooling system. All closed cooling systems run the raw water through the exhaust manifolds"

That is not true.

On the "half" cooling system the raw water is dumped into the exhaust manifold cooling jacket and then flows into the exhaust at the elbow to the "riser" via internal passages.

If the "full" system the majority of the exhaust manifold cooling jacket is cooled by the recirculating water. The raw water dumps into the exhaust at the elbow via an external hose. This requires a bit of a larger heat exchanger.

Rod
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-27-2007, 7:57 PM Reply   
Sorry Rod,

I should have said that closed cooling systems are generally not used in wakeboard boats.

The "closed" systems that I have seen in wakeboard boats are what you describe above as "half closed" cooling.
Old     (plhorn)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-28-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
Full closed cooling system (vs. half systems) are rarely used on V-drives because they don't generally fit in the engine compartement. I got a half system on mine online that cost me $600 shipped (sorry I don't remember where). It was supposedly a "2 hour install" but I had to make some modifications to it so that it would fit in my engine compartment (closer to 12 hours).

I think that the issue of existing corrosion blocking your heat exchanger is only a problem if it has already been run extensively in salt water. If it has only been run in fresh... I doubt that it would be a problem.
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-28-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
Even with fresh use there will be enough corrosion internally to cause headaches. I know this from experience!
Old     (osealy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-01-2007, 2:41 AM Reply   
I know we are talking about an old boat but there is only 250 hrs on the meter. I looked in the thermo housing and there is no corrosion . I believe that there age probs using coolant in blocks that have absorbed salt. But where i live it never goes much below freezing so i guess i could just run fresh water. Any thing has got to be better than salt. Or do I have to keep the inboard for lakes 70 miles two hrs. Use my O/b for the sea 1 mile 5mins Anyone got any pics of full systems. These I found on the web . Anyone tried any.
Chev 350 DD alt bottom right. raw pump bottom left. no p/s no risers.www.perfprotech.com I-netmarine.com www.boatfix.com
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-01-2007, 3:14 AM Reply   
Thing is your still going to have to replace manifold risers every 8 years or so as they will be raw water cooled and if it has a none standard GM wet exhaust you'll need to check if your existing risers are able to accept full closed cooling.

Saltwater does far more damage externally on the engine and fittings than it does internally.

We have a 29 year old mastercraft over here in the UK which has spent every summer from new moored in saltwater and its still on the same engine block. Sure its been through manifolds, risers and a couple of circualtion pumps but the block is still perfectly serviceable.

I just think your making a headache for yourself by thinking you need closed cooling.
Old     (osealy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-01-2007, 7:04 AM Reply   
Jay V interested in 30 year prospect. here is engine in question
Old     (osealy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-01-2007, 8:54 AM Reply   
Upload another
Old     (osealy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-01-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
Upload