Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-11-2006, 11:48 AM Reply   
I have been researching boats for a while and in looking in magazines they show pictures of the wake stock and with ballast. My question is with the bu's are they showing the wake weighted+wedge or just with weight?
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-11-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
Adam, I can't answer your ? about the magazine photos, but I've got the wedge and up to 1440 pounds of fat sack ballast in my 05 LSV (23'). We ride a variety of configurations, full ballast with no wedge (my preference), full ballast with the wedge (all the kids preference) and every other conceiveable variation. For me the wedge makes the wake peak in an almost surfbreak way which I find inconsistent. It is also so much harder to drive the boat well and maintain speed with the wedge, but my boys like the steepness and the additional pop. I have the manual wedge. I've heard the power wedge is nice and can be ridden in different positions, so maybe even more options. Good luck. Wedge or not, I love my Malibu.
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-11-2006, 1:24 PM Reply   
Most photos you will see in magazines are going to weighted boats for sure. If it is a Malibu you see and the wake is real peaky, then it is with the wedge down. If the wake has a small roll to the top of the wake then it is with the wedge up. You can usually tell if the boat is weighted by the wake and the wave thrown off the sides of the boat, if they are thrown up higher than the side rail then the boat is probably weighted.
Old     (dcwillette)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-11-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
Without something to reference it can be hard to tell in a picture.

I'll tell you that I hate driving the boat with the wedge down, don't really like messing with it, and even hit a submerged piece of wood two weeks ago that we don't believe was a tree. The Wedge did not rip a hole in the boat either like some will tell you.

However, I love riding it with it down! Maybe because of my skill level or 190lbs or both, but I need the wedge to get a lot of air. Otherwise I'll clear the wake due to speed but never really get much air without the wedge. It definitely steepens the wake and I think is even more noticeable with more weight in the boat.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-12-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
My boat always has the wedge up. we all hate that thing. (04 vlx)
Old     (rmack)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-12-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
1900 lbs with wedge down. Upload
Upload
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-12-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
Sweet Pics Ryan. That wake looks sweet.