Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       03-01-2006, 5:48 AM Reply   
Looks like this will affect everyone born after 1955 eventually...
Personally I think it's a good thing, after almost getting T-boned by a 12 year old on a jet ski...

text/htmlUpload
Boater Safety Education Bill Signed by Governor Gregoire.htm (12.3 k)
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-01-2006, 8:53 AM Reply   
Absolutely a GOOD idea and i'd push for something similar in Cali- Add required insurance as well...

Anyone disagree? How about some views from those against this.....
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-01-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
If this was passed in 2005 why have we not heard anything about it?
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-01-2006, 11:09 AM Reply   
We have it hear in Ohio. It passed about 3-4 years ago, and it's required for anyone born after Jan. 1 1982.

The first couple years it used to be free to take an online test. Now it's $15 per try. If you go in person (a couple classes & test), it's free. I personally think it's a great idea. I'm sure only a small percentege of people who operate boats have it, and even fewer know about it. I think dealerships/DMV should make all those who register/purchase a boat aware of the law. Dealers should even offer classes at their dealerships once or twice a year. It really makes the dealership look good that no only are they selling a boat, but selling a boat to a person who will use it safely.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-01-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
I'd be pissed if I had to go and take it at age 31, when I have been boating all my life, and then some a-hole in Washington decides I don't know enough. I think it is a good idea for new boaters, but phasing it in? The older you are the longer you can wait, equalling more time on the water without one? Doesn't make a whole lot of since to me.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-01-2006, 11:58 AM Reply   
Im in Cali and new to boating. I took the online test for 15 dollars. It took about three hours to read through all the study guides and then pass the test, first try. I learned a lot. I would think people that have been boating for awhile could pass without studying. The $15 is minimal and now I save $25 a year on my boat ins. I was surprised about how much of the material dealt with PWC's.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-01-2006, 12:28 PM Reply   
Tennessee started last year. Phasing in everyone born after 12/31/1990. Cost $10 to take the test and receive a lifetime license.
Old     (tantrum916)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-01-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
I'm not big fan of Goverment Regulation but do to the sheer number of people who can not use common sence in a boat or take the time to educate themselfs before buying a boat I think this is a good thing and would like to see it in Cali as well. Just too many people on the water these day not to see this as a good thing.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-01-2006, 7:11 PM Reply   
It's a good idea, my wife, kids, and I have all taken the training required by Ohio.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       03-01-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
I really think this legislation was brought about by the numbers of personal watercraft infesting our waterways. Some parents think nothing of letting their 12 yr old take the family 60 mph Jetski out unsupervised. They would never let them take the car out for a drive on the freeway alone...
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-01-2006, 7:50 PM Reply   
Gramps had same complaint when they started requiring driver’s licenses for automobiles, get over it.
Old     (webbly)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-01-2006, 9:48 PM Reply   
are these law makers just F'in stupid. I am 32, grew up on a boat, not saying the law is a BAD idea, but come on. Now I have boating experience, I will have to get this card down the road, BUT... Joe Bloe who just bought his or her first boat, with no experience has 60 days to run over people before they need it, and oh if Joe wants to rent a boat he doesn't need it either. Now serious, are these not the people that we really need to watch out for on the water. Reminds me of a quick story, A few years ago on Lake Chelan, Mr. Rich Guy (nothing against rich guys) had just bought his first 35' Boat. He came into the docks at Manson so hot that 4 of us ran out and just deflected him enough to keep him from pile driving the end of the dock. Granted he still had a glancing blow but the damage was minimal. Now shouldn't there be a law that you have to start out with a small boat and work you way up??? At least the guy was cool and invited us on board for a cocktail as thanks for saving him. Who makes these laws anyway, have they ever been out to see where the real problems come from?
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-01-2006, 10:09 PM Reply   
Spider- I agree with you in a way. I am not 32 but am 20 and have been on a boat literally my whole life. I was cruising to the San Juans the week I left the hospital. I dont like the idea that I am going to have to get this special license all of a sudden. I think it is definately something that any PWC owner must have and all of those that are just buying a boat. It is a good idea though that people take courses, my big question is how will they actually know who has a license and who doesn't? Will they up the patrol on the lake and start clocking you for speeding or something??
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       03-02-2006, 5:56 AM Reply   
Spider,
I am like you, having grown up with boats my whole life. I am on the water almost every week of the year either fishing, hunting or wakeboarding While I feel that I may have the proper knowledge of boating safety, I have seen enough idiots out there that I strongly think there needs to be something done. I sure everyone on this list has had a close encounter with some dumba$$... Trying to jump your wake on a personal watercraft 10 ft. behind the boat, following 30 yds behind your rider., My favorite was the guy on the jetski that was doingjumps across the wake 25 yards behind the rider. I stopped dead in the water and flagged him down,. He pulled up to us and asked "What's up?" We told him. He flipped us off, cursed and took off following someone else riding... and started jumping their wake.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-02-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
HaaaaHaaaa...

Finally! My Power Squadron Certificate is going to do me some good other than just the 10% off on my insurance.

A little basic knowledge test vs. the six week course I went through seems like a bargain to me.
Old     (biker_jimm)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-02-2006, 6:17 PM Reply   
I think that its a great idea even though it will effect things very little until more ppl die on the water. But i think its more at this point to work up to dollars being diverted to some legislators re election fund rather then helping boaters keep a safe and clean family atmosphere on the water and it should'nt be to long before they charge you for it on your license renewal as an endorsement. the same sort of change took place last year with motorcycle endorsement's here in washington and they did'nt really advertise it at all that you could just go down to the DMV and have your endorsement changed before X date no matter how long you have been riding to state that you are licensed to ride anything.If you didnt make it though you'll now have to take a written and skills test on everything under the sun from a sidehack to a trike.which would be fine to do just take new registered owners and have them prove they have passed one then for none owner make them take the course. But any way i'll just shut up and conform now
I just cant wait till i have to pay 25ea to renew my license for a CDL,personal driver,motocycle haz mat,air brake, double trailer, boat and PWC and all the other that i more then likely missed that should make it a nice round number to renew my Lic. That should make our lic fee what about 250 to 500 nice.

J
Old     (ctrider)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-03-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
I live in CT and this has been required for at least 10 years now probably closer to 15. You are also required to take a separate course for personal water craft. In my opinion it does very little for safety, people that drive like idiots will always do so and if you can not use common sense before the course you will not be able to after.