Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-28-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
This is to all of the MArius owners out there!!

How do you like it so far?
How is the swing weight?
How is the POP?

I am an average Boarder- 180's, 360's, all the grabs, occasional Tantrum. No Real Inverts and I dont plan on doing any. I am 6'1" 200lbs if that helps.

I am in the market for a new board and have demoed the Marius and I like it but I am still kind of attached to my DU Nelson Pro. My current board is a little small for me (138) and I want to go to a bigger board.
SO I am either going to get a Marius or a 2005 DU Kyle Murphy pro 141.( same shape as the Nelson Pro)

Joe -- Help me out here because I know you have owned the Nelson Pro and now own a Marius...
Old    moombarider132            02-28-2006, 5:58 PM Reply   
my friend got it and i hated it thank the lord above he got faded and left it on the platform of my friends bu right before we drove off to the boat ramp

sweet sweet revenge
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-28-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
E Double U, coming off a Nelson 138 I don't think you will be happy. Here is my input on it compared to the Nelson. The marus has more drag and slower then the nelson also you will get more of a bucking pop from the nelson. I have ridden alot of boards and was also in search of a board that rode like the nelson. The closest I found was the PS3. Now its faster and has more pop to me then the nelson. I would also give the CWB flame a shot I haven't ridden it but have watched others ride it and they get a ton of pop. But most of all demo demo we all ride different.
Old     (wakerider900)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-28-2006, 7:19 PM Reply   
I thought it felt very slow and sluggish, maybe just a bit ahead of its time.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-28-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
i came off a nelson and i love the marius!

the marius is a bit of a slow board, but no-where near as slow as other slow boards. it definitely builds good speed to the wake and the edge-to-edge transition is smooth and quick.

like you said, i came from a nelson. the nelson is definitely a sick board and has an abrupt pop. don't think you can't get that pop from a marius, just cause it has a continuous rocker. it'll still buck you due to its 3" rocker.

who says you can't get bucked on a marius?

Upload

what sets the marius apart from the nelson (and many other "newer" boards) is that the landings are amazing! it's buttery soft! i'm not afraid to take my tricks big and out in the flats now, as the marius will soften the landings because of its double-concave bottom design.

now, one thing that i wish the marius had were smaller center fins. we all know i suck and rely on the center fins a lot, but i wish they'd come with something a little smaller than 1" fins. it's a bit grippy with them, but i'm still able to break it loose easily.

i almost didn't demo the marius simply because of its continuous rocker. i'm a big fan of 3-stage rockers. but i was in search of a softer landing board, and everyone raved about the marius' landings. so i tried it and now it's my favorite!

if you get a chance, demo the board. or, simply invite me out and i'll let you ride my board. either way, demo the board. it's definitely not for everyone, but you never know, it just might become your next board.
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-28-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
I definately will agree with Joe that you can take your tricks HUGE and the landing will be as soft as butter. I cam from riding a TFD to the Marius and it definately has more of a pop. Is a little slower, which took me a little bit of time to get used to, but think that the Marius is the sickest board right now. I don't see any need to change to anything anytime soon cause this board has got it all for me. I am right in your same weight range, little bit shorter as well.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-28-2006, 8:07 PM Reply   
I am 6 foot & 200 pounds, similar level rider to you, migrated from 138 Nelson to the 140 Marius. Had the Nelson for 3 years! The marius is MUCH slower than the nelson, so much so I had to shorten my rope in from 83 to 80 foot and most of my stuff regressed to wake to wake. It took me the longest time to work the pop out on it, now I have it dialed in and its nice. Its got super soft landings for sure and the pop is pretty solid. I have read on here many times that if a board is right for you your comfortable on it the first time you ride it. After persisting with the Marius I realise now this is true. Recently I demoed the Watson and it made me realise how much I missed the speed. I am kicking the Marius in to touch and getting a Watson to replace it with. That board is sick, reminds me of the Nelson.
If you have a wake to wake style the Marius is an awesome board, I don't do wake to wake.....
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-28-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
darren, my old ass knees can't take wake-to-flats.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-28-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
Oh Joe, I thought the stock Marius fins were way to big and swapped them out for the small fins off the Nelson, it made the Marius a bit looser and the tracking was still pretty good. Finless it was too much of a handful for my skill level.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-28-2006, 8:53 PM Reply   
It also depends on what type of conditions you ride in, the marius felt super rough in poor conditions compared to a "average" shaped board. I guess the marius' shape lends it to being more of a amplifier of water conditions if it is choppy.
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-28-2006, 8:55 PM Reply   
i love mine!
Old     (trojanman)      Join Date: May 2002       02-28-2006, 11:42 PM Reply   
Ummmmmm.. yeah..

Upload
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-01-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
Yeah, I can't imagine anyone saying the Marius is slow. I think it's how you ride it. I've had people say it transitions edge to edge slowly, which I believe, but slow overall??? I thought that board ripped. Once on edge it just developed speed. You could set the edge really deep and really load the line. I like it. Particularly the way it whistles in smooth water when it's finless.

I do agree that it's a bit of a handful to ride finless. When I was on my A game it felt great. When I was slightly off I had trouble edging up the wake. I never rode it with fins so I can't comment about that.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       03-01-2006, 11:01 AM Reply   
Sick pics Joe & Josh!!!! Killin it on the Marius!!!

Ya, Evan that one night you got WORKED on a few jumps on that thing! Can't complan that much cuz you were still stickin some sick sh**!!!!

(Message edited by Bigpapaf1f on March 01, 2006)
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       03-01-2006, 11:21 AM Reply   
I never rode the 140 i rode the 134 finless and it was a fun board to goof on but even the 134 felt fat when riding it. Slow to transistion but that is to expect when riding a board that wide. Went over the nose a couple times coming from the 144 roam i normaly ride. Guess you have to ride it a little farther back on the board. All in all good pop smooth landings, just a little wide for me.
David
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-01-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
I agree with Evan. I dont see how anyone can say the Marius is slow. Put it on edge and hold on. The board is as fast as you want it to be.IMO. I do think it takes some time gettin to know the board though, because its so different then any other board.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-01-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
I'm with ya.....not a slow board. Especially not fineless. But in all honesty, I sucked on the Marius last time I rode it.

Yo Bug...Can you bring my Marius to SR? I need to give it another try.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-01-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
J-rod ~ I was going to give it back to you then. I rode it a few more times and it's not for me. I do have some fins for it now (Thanks to Eric at Ski World USA) so it might be a different board for you or Evan.

Right now I'm loving my 04 141 Absolute again.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
Maybe slow is the wrong word for it. To me it had alot more line tension then some other boards. It felt like it took more effort to hold on to the handle. More drag but it could be due to the larger surface area.
Old     (mr_incredible)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-01-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
love the board, prolly my favorite. its good for everyone with the fins and last time i heard they were supposed to be makin smaller ones for all u ppl like the fins but want it a little looser but i think its crazy fun with no fins. oh and i kno its a big board but the bigness has saved my butt more then a few times on trick landings cuz the size makes it soo stable.

if you want a fast board with alot of pop the new transcend plat does the trick.

so thats my input but personally im in between the two on which one i want to ride this year, super good boards.

p.s. LOVE the hinge tech(bindings) (:
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-01-2006, 1:43 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the imput guys!!

I am more Confused now than before I posted!!!!

I will have to demo one more time before I make my decision.
Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-01-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
Squid- Its going to feel slow when you ride at 19mph

I ride the 134 finless and dig it!
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-01-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
Billy ~ Sorry Squid, it was funny.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-01-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
Billy ride at 19.2 get it right.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-01-2006, 3:03 PM Reply   
I got one for my friends (I'm a good guy), I've got a few people on it and they dig it. At the end of the summer I took to riding it, except I got the large one and for those that don't know me, I'm definately not big or heavy(I'm a buck fifty soaking wet). It was pretty fun riding that beast of a board, it definately rides smoother than my Absolute and has a huge pop. I really liked it but prefer the way my Absolute pops. To me the Maaarius was very tail heavy on the pop and took some time to get used to. I think it is definately one of the most ingeniusly designed boards ever. So many unique features. Its definately a board that a lot of people dig, check it out odds are good that you will dig it. If not check the Absolute and Transcend, I guarantee you will dig one a ton.

(Message edited by stephan on March 01, 2006)
Old    tclagggym            03-01-2006, 3:08 PM Reply   
I went from the absolute to the marius and it has saved my back. I ride at 24mph and seems quick enough for me.