Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-25-2005, 7:40 PM Reply   
I'm just as supportive of anyone getting into the sport as the next guy; but, I will say that I'm glad that I've never been out on the boat with anyone who's number one objective of riding was to be a professional.

Goals are essential, but the idea of wakeboarding just to go pro is what is going to cause the loss of intergrity in the sport we love.

Go ride and, most importantly, have fun. The rest will happen as it should.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-25-2005, 8:05 PM Reply   
shut up. you're just mad 'cause your gf's better than you.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-25-2005, 8:07 PM Reply   
I'm bitter cuz I can't ride cuz my knee....and cuz my gf's better than me.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-25-2005, 8:26 PM Reply   
Word
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-25-2005, 8:41 PM Reply   
"I'm glad that I've never been out on the boat with anyone who's number one objective of riding was to be a professional"
How do you know it would be crappy till you try it? We are lucky enough to ride with a few aspirationals and a few who are already there. Some are cool, some are too cool if you know what I mean. It totally depends on the individual.
Old    freerider4            09-25-2005, 8:59 PM Reply   
every little kid has aspiration of being pro I know I did when I was young.
Old     (erica_b)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-25-2005, 9:02 PM Reply   
Having aspirations to be pro is cool, but when it's the only reason you ride, it doesn't usually work out too well. In other words, would you still ride every chance you got even if you knew that there would never be any free gear, money, or fame down the road for you? If you're not sure about your own answer to this question, then you might be riding for the wrong reasons... and if the majority of wakeboarders rode for these 'wrong' reasons, the sport would probably take a turn for the worse. I think that might be what Thane is trying to say.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-26-2005, 10:44 AM Reply   
I know a guy that really thought he was soo good it was going to happen magically for him. Everytime he was out he would compare his riding to the other people on boat. I forgave him since he was a kid. We finally shut him up after taking him out to ride with some of the local "pro" level riders. He realized he wasn't the only one locally that could throw down. It was actually kinda entertaining because he would always say sarcastically "how many inverts you got?" (he definitely had more than me). I would promptly reply with "how many spins you got." He couldn't spin for shiz, pretty sure he only had one and it wasn't all that consistent.

Anyway, you gotta ride for the love of the sport and see where that takes you. I would say that if you truly are willing to sacrifice everything to ride all the time going pro may eventually happen for you. It'll probably almost be by accident if all you want to do is ride. You just need to be riding with the right people.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-26-2005, 12:49 PM Reply   
haha...you're talking about the STALKER!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-26-2005, 1:04 PM Reply   
fo sho
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-26-2005, 2:01 PM Reply   
I would argue that most people who really desire to go pro are doing it for the love of the sport. They want to be pro so they can wakeboard all the time.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-26-2005, 6:18 PM Reply   
thats a given
Old    wakeboardn4life            09-26-2005, 6:33 PM Reply   
yeah i think matt said it right i want to go pro because the love i have for the sport its somethin i look forward too wakeing up for at 6:00 in the morning to do
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-26-2005, 6:41 PM Reply   
Clay - your personal quote in your profile is exactly the kind of attitude that gets to me.

"go pro or die tryin'"
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-26-2005, 6:55 PM Reply   
I have had the opportunity to ride with a wide variety of people. From beginner to intermediate riders as well as outlaw and pro level athletes. In my opinion, guys trying to go pro have a natural talent for the sport and a level of ability that I have come to realize I will never have myself. I'm sure there are a number of people out there that think they could go pro but aren't even close. I have found that the people actively training and competing to make the Pro Tour Cut of (40) every year are, for the most part, very grounded and talented athletes.

But we are all human, there are probably a number of real jerks who think their Gods gift to the sport. I haven't met any of them yet.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-26-2005, 9:46 PM Reply   
The only reason I could see as a reasonable reason to wish to go pro is to really progress the sport, to push the limits.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-27-2005, 5:42 AM Reply   
I would agree with Matt that the main reason by default there are Pro wakeboarders at all is love of the sport. God knows there's certainly not enough money out there to make that the main attraction.

The ego factor of the top riders I have meant is pretty much zero as well.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-27-2005, 8:17 AM Reply   
Let me refresh memories: level 10 gymnast...
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-27-2005, 8:38 AM Reply   
Have met people who go out and every time they ride, they practice their competition pass, or they work on a new trick because they have to have it to beat the next guy. I'm sure that they like riding, otherwise they would be doing something else, but it gets to the point of not being much fun at all when the riding is all about competition. The only competition should be with yourself, to push yourself to ride better, learn a trick that you really want to learn, for yourself. It's not about beating the next guy.

Be a soul rider.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-27-2005, 9:30 AM Reply   
Wait a minute, Thane...is your girl friend really better then you?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-27-2005, 10:20 AM Reply   
Daniel - Yep, yes she is.

Porkchops - Soul riders unite. You said it very well.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-27-2005, 10:52 AM Reply   
I got soul... but I'm not a soldier.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-27-2005, 11:04 AM Reply   
What is a pro? Is it someone who makes a living
in the wakeboard industry, someone who is able to
pay their bills from wakeboarding? If so I'd would have to say I want to be like Steve Bates or Greg Dick I think they must be pro's cause they are on the water all year.
Old    wakeboardn4life            09-27-2005, 12:13 PM Reply   
Thane what do you mean by gets to you? Is it in a bad way or good way?
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-27-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
not in a good way.
Old     (erica_b)      Join Date: Apr 2004       09-27-2005, 5:55 PM Reply   
I'm not better than Thane... we each have our strong points... I think it's still up in the air. I just don't want to see wakeboarding end up like so many other more mainstream sports, where everyone at the top is worried more about their payout then anything else.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-27-2005, 9:38 PM Reply   
no girlfriend. just a wakeboard and a boat.