Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 06, 2004

Old     (san_man)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-22-2004, 4:17 PM Reply   
Besides putting more ballast in the boat what tips can you give me to get more air off the wake? I can go wake to wake but want to go big. I have a SANTE with stock and extra ballast and a new Byerly board? Maybe leaning back more or really bending low before I get to the wave?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-22-2004, 4:21 PM Reply   
work on proper technique. sure, a bigger wake helps in getting big air, but #1 on the list is having solid fundamentals. work on progressive cut, standing tall and keeping the handle close to lead hip.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-22-2004, 4:36 PM Reply   
Get on your edge, load the line, and commit.

Sounds easy huh?

Pull out away from the boat as far as you can. Once you are there wait a second to allow the rope to get tight. Roll over on to your heel edge, with your knees bent (kind of like sitting in a chair) with a little more pressure on your rear foot. Pull all the way to the wake, as if you were going to go for a huge raley. The key is to NOT let up when you get to the wake, edge all the way up the wake until you feel the pop. Then all you have to worry about is landing.

Hope this makes sense, someone may be able to explain it better than I.
Old    mr_mutt            06-22-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
I find that my problem is that I try to "stand up" as in standing STRAIGHT up. That is BAD because I take all the pressure I've built on the edge and lose it by going flat. Stand up, or extend your legs, while leaning away from the boat (ie keeping your edge). That's typically what I find that I don't do when I miss my pop.
Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-23-2004, 12:48 PM Reply   
Ryan, good advise, humm... I'll have to concentrate on that, I think I'm doing that too.
I was catching big air then all these people started giving me advise and now I'm all screwed up and not getting the same air. I think that you're right about the standing straight up and going flat. Thanks!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-23-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
Sounds like you might be standing tall too early. You should edge all the way to the top of the wake then stand tall to meet the pop. Timing is a big part of it. Leaving the wake early will make you miss the pop. It's a common problem.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-23-2004, 1:09 PM Reply   
just hit the double up.... youll get more air for sure
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-23-2004, 10:02 PM Reply   
The best thing I have done for technique is riding in the Florida Keys for a week behind a 150hp center console fishing boat. Forced me to get back to basics of line loading, edging and standing tall off the wake. At first I figured we could never go W2W, but by day two we were doing normal grabs and by day three I had all one of my inverts.