Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (maristar210)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-11-2004, 6:39 PM Reply   
today we took out our sunsetter vlx for the first time today and i just had a few questions to see if everything was normal.

The engine was louder when the boat was in reverse.

The light next to the throttle is on under 1200 rpm and blinks on and off higher than 1200 rpm.

are these things normal or do they need to be looked at?
Old    tball            04-11-2004, 7:12 PM Reply   
If the light next to the throttle is an engine or transmission pressure light, it's probably normal to be illuminated at or near idle. Steady-on or blinking at higher RPMs is not right. Try to note the RPM ranges that it blinks or is on steady. Check with the manual or dealer.

The manual for my transmission specifies that it will "whine" in reverse and that has occurred in all inboards I've ever been in. The engine noise shouldn't change, but I think I get what you meant.

When in doubt, call your dealer. Make 'em earn your money.
Old     (ryan_e)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-12-2004, 4:18 PM Reply   
The light comes on when the oil pressure is low. Don't be alarmed when the engine is in neutral or you are idling around it will always be on.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-12-2004, 4:39 PM Reply   
Hey cory, come on down to www.malibuboatowners.com it is a nice little community of malibu owners, they awnsered alot of questions about our BU, and helped us out when we were buying it.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-13-2004, 8:34 AM Reply   
Cory yes those are all normal operations. The Whine in reverse as tball mentioned happens in all inboards. The light is only on during idle now if you're at 2000 rpm and the light is on then you have a problem. Again normal things for you're boat.
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       04-13-2004, 12:06 PM Reply   
The light is the v-drive oil pressure (very different from the engine and transmission oils). If it is blinking on and off above 1000 RPM, check the oil level. It may be a little low. Although the sticker says 1200RPM, most go off below that when everything is working correctly. If oil level is fine, it may be the sensor. Not an uncommon part to go bad after a few years.

Reverse whine is normal, as everyone else said