Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-11-2004, 8:06 PM Reply   
I have did the searching and found nothing specific to my needs.

What I have

PPI PCX-4125 4 X 125 @ 4 ohms (I amsure you stereo gurus will know this amp.)

6 Infinity Kappa 6.5 coaxials

Looking to wire them the best way possible while still maintaining the 4 ohm load to the speakers, unless it would be better to run a different ohm load to the speakers. I understand the general concepts of stereo wiring but ohm loads confuse me when it comes to the wiring part. I do understand that the higher the ohm load to the speakers the better sound quality you get. They are all going on the tower so Clarity is probably of my upmost concern.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Chad
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-11-2004, 8:38 PM Reply   
Hey Chad cant help on the question. But did you talk to Dave friday? I think he said something about Bullards to you? Are you interested? I am trying to get a site but I know Tower Park had some room still.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-11-2004, 8:41 PM Reply   
Chad, the issue here is the ohm load on the amp as well. Do the specs say the amp is stable w/2ohm loads. I've run plenty of set ups w/ 2 pair of 4ohm spks. on same channel and it is fine.
You may however over load the amp if it is not rated to be stable w/ 2 ohm loads. The amp will be working harder so make sure it can get air flow, we have at times added small fan if confined area limits air flow. Hope this helps. CRANK IT UP.
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-12-2004, 6:07 AM Reply   
Brian-
Yes the amp is stable to 2 ohms and it relys on internal fans to cool, not a heat sync so I should be okay there as well. Any suggestions on the wiring?
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-12-2004, 7:15 AM Reply   
Brian,

I have six speakers on my tower powered by one four channel amp. I powered the two outside speakers on their own channels, and used the two remaining channels to run the other four in parallel. I've been running this way for about two weeks now, and haven't had any issues with sound quality or heating of the amp.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-12-2004, 8:37 AM Reply   
Chad-

I have basically the same amp. PPI-440PCX. I have been running 6 speakers off it for two years and never had a problem. The amp doesn't even get warm. Wire it like how Cliff suggested and you will be fine. PPI amps are well made
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-12-2004, 3:35 PM Reply   
Chad, I would go w/ at least 16ga. wiring good quality form sound shop or crutchfield. Always wire tie off all wires and leave a little slack in certain spots if you move your tower ect... I also like to add small dab of silicone glue on the magnet on the speaker and push wire in it so any pulls on wire won't pull loose, it sucks trying to find bad connections. Also small dab of glue where wire attatches to the speaker is xtra so as to eliminate oxidation of use anti-ox on connections, get this at radio shack or electrical supply house. Also wrap exposed wires with plastic spiral wrap popular for under hood car applications to finish the job nice and professional looking and protect wires. Crank it up!
Old     (bigasswake)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-12-2004, 4:23 PM Reply   
Use a Y splitter. Run the left and right into one channel. Now your 4 speakers will only take up 2 channels. You can buy these RCA Y splitters at radio shack or your local car audio spot.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-12-2004, 9:58 PM Reply   
doesn't need a splitter. The amp splits the RCA signal automatically.