Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old    laceyp            04-09-2004, 11:47 AM Reply   
Does anyone know if a 1985 21' Bayliner (Capri Cuddy Cabin, 350 motor omc outdrive) could be turned into a decent wakeboard boat?
From what I remember it puts out a really mushy white wake. Can you change that with weight?
Old    zanek            04-10-2004, 7:20 PM Reply   
well yeah, the more people you sit in the boat, the lower it will be in the water i.e. bigger wake. but also, you can put fat-sacs on it too...also, a tower will help.
Old    iewc            04-10-2004, 8:23 PM Reply   
I think "decent" is a somewhat innocuous term in this situation. Can a I/o or outdrive boat be turned into something fun to ride behind? Defenitly. Will it ever be a nautique or MC, etc... no. Part of the wake comes from hull design. I dont know much about hte bayliner hull, but you may get lucky and have a decent shape. To get a bigger and firmer wake you will need to add weight. There is a limit to how much you can add, however. ASlso remember the more weight you add the slower out of the hole it will be, and the harder it will be to drive, and the harder it will be on the engine.
If you really want to make it a decent boat that puts out a fun wake, i would do the following, if you have the money. Remember none of this is neccessary, it just makes it more fun, or easier. 1) add weight, between 500-1000 lbs. use water weight or humans not lead. 2) Depending on if the boat is fast enough out of the hole for you i would look into a a tower. Maybe a Monster tower, or a Joystick roll bar, or one of the less expensive designs. You could also go with a pylon, but i would say spend the extra 1-2 hundred for a roll bar or the others out now. 3) if you dont have enough tourque out of the hole, get a 4 blade prop. This is sort of like getting a lower gear and will make the boat pull harder with more tourque, and wont strain the engine as much.

All that being said, you dont need to do anything to have fun.. Go out and learn all the surface tricks. Learn to ride switch as well as you can regular. Get the fundamentals down. You can also always ask for pulls from people on the here, and around you lake.
Hope it helps.
Geoff
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-12-2004, 5:50 AM Reply   
My bayliner puts out a really good wake. You definately need a tower and about 1000-1500 lbs. of weight. The main problem with non-wakeboard boat is that it doesn't have enought horsepower to comfortably pull all the extra weight.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-12-2004, 10:50 AM Reply   
some I/O's do have enough HP (v8's) and with a good 4 or 5 blade prop can have as good hole shot as a comp boat, dont even think of using the stock 3 blade prop though or it will get frustrating for the driver and rider
Old    laceyp            04-12-2004, 12:35 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of your information...
Hey Geoff, why does it matter if you weight the boat down with lead or water?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-12-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
Yeah, I'm curious, too, as to why lead shouldn't be used?
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-12-2004, 2:29 PM Reply   
Isn't it becuase water wieght becomes neutral when it gets to the water line as compared to lead that is always just "dead" wieght? It can make the difference of sinking all the way to the bottom or just to the water line right? And lead is harder on the trailer while towing and the hull. At least thats what I was told.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       04-12-2004, 2:47 PM Reply   
Jeff, that is right. Lead is good within reason.

If you don't have to tow very far to the lake then it's a good option. Or a combo of both is good too. Lead is good in that it's easy to hide and shift around in the boat to fine tune the wake.
Old    iewc            04-12-2004, 4:34 PM Reply   
I agree with Jeff and Jon. I also think that water is a little bit softer when hitting rollers and isnt going to go shooting out the bottom of your hull. Unlikely it would happen but why chance it, when lead is about the same price per pound as a sac. That being said i run about 250 lbs of lead and 1000 lbs of water in my I/O.