Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-08-2004, 10:06 PM Reply   
Need a 20'or under boat for wakeboarding. Used is the budget currently. Under $20k. I have a line on a 98 Supra Comp but not having owned a boat of this style before I decided to turn to u guys. I'm buying this boat to help my two sons to excel at this sport but don't have big budget. Their car crashes have cost too much to get a new boat Please help, advise of makes and models VERY much appreciated. Fly High
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-09-2004, 6:29 AM Reply   
Brian,

Look for 99 to 03 Supra Launch @ 20'11" So if its a boat title issue you might get it as 20 footer. The Launch is Supra's flagship wakeboard boat and pretty hard to beat. Good luck
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-09-2004, 6:47 AM Reply   
I have a 2001 Moomba Mobius d-drive with only 148 hours on it. 320 hp EFI. Other upgrades. I'd let go for $22k.
Old    arrowride            04-09-2004, 6:26 PM Reply   
What's up with the 20' length? If everyone knew what you were looking for in a little more detail you might get better feedback. If 20' 11" works I would agree the launch is a good choice.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-09-2004, 7:02 PM Reply   
Brian,

Jon's boat would also be very good.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-09-2004, 7:29 PM Reply   
Chris, the private lake we go to 95% of the time has a 20' lenght limit so I have to stay under 20'.
I found a 98 Supra Comp but I'm getting mixed to negative views on using it for wakeboarding. Some at the lake have Malibu Response LX models.I spoke to a guy at No Wake Marine a Malibu dealer and his opinion was that a Response needs to be 98' or older model due to their diamond hull is a lifting type on the 99 and later models. I'm looking to this board for some help with the vast experience that has to be here somewhere. Jon, where do u live and what is the length of your boat?
Old     (kvkev)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-09-2004, 8:45 PM Reply   
I'd go with the Launch it's wider than most boats and the wake is awsome.
Old     (silverlude)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-09-2004, 9:18 PM Reply   
Kvkev, is Launch 20'er? I can't get the boat on the lake if over 20' by a hair. The rangers measure the boat to get registration stickers ect.. Note: they only count the glass of the boat, no bumpers ect.. count. SUCKS, but thats what I got to deal with.
Old    upupnaway            04-10-2004, 4:58 AM Reply   
The Outback is the only Moomba under 20', the supra launch LTS and comp LTS are under 20'
The Malibu sporster is a decent wakeboard boat, under 20' and 20k.
The Mastercraft prostar 190 and 197 are under 20' and 20k, and the x-5 and x-7 are under 20 as well.

This is by no means a complete list, but it will get you going in the right direction.
(All lengths are without platform.)
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-10-2004, 5:20 AM Reply   
The Outback is 20'6" and the Outback LS is 20'8".
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-10-2004, 8:53 AM Reply   
Brian, I now understand your situation better. In Indiana boats are titled by feet only not inches, so a boat like Jon's that is 20' 8" would have a registration of 20' - Thats a gray area and my be different in your state.

If you MUST have exactly 20' and below. I would look at a Supra Launch LTS a new boat in 2003 at 19' 11.5" The Malibu is a good boat but here is why the LTS would be better for 20'boats and under class. You might be able to find a used one.
1.Hull design is made for hydraulic wake plate which can change the shape better for wakeboarding and back again for 3 event.
2.Reguardless of what boat you get it take ballast to make a big wake. The LTS has play pen seating to hide a 400lb bag front basement and 300lb under rear seat as an automatic ballast system with no bags to walk on