Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-05-2007, 8:21 PM Reply   
This is my first post on my Midwest reply to Jeff Walkers “East vs. West Challenge for ‘07”. Uhmmm. Jeff I live in the Midwest! The objective of the challenge is to build the lightest possible surf board that will support a 180 pound surfer for an accumulated 5 minutes of ride time. The ride time should be documented via video.

Is it possible to make a lighter than air wakesurf board? Uhmm… probably not but how light can you go?

The core of my entry is balsa wood. Pound for pound balsa wood is one of the strongest materials available. I’ve ordered a bunch of balsa wood, hat should be here by this weekend. In the mean time I’ve been working on the design for my entry.

Last night I tweaked the longitudinal stringer design and I bought a few sample pieces at the local hobby store. Tonight I printed and cut out a couple of lateral stringer models. I used these models to cut the shape of these stringers and drill the core holes.

I pined two pieces together and cut the basic shape on the jigsaw. I used a sanding drum to clean up the cut. Then I tried using a drill press to cut the core holes. The drilling didn’t go so well. The back side of the holes tore away. I altered my drilling technique. I drilled half way through one side and then finished on the other side. The two sided drilling reduced the damage but it isn’t acceptable.

I’ve speculated that laser cutting is probably the best way to cut this material, I’ll have to see if I can find an out fit that can do the job.

The design
Upload

Cut out models
Upload
The IS Yellow is the inspiration for this board
Upload
Pinned and ready to cut
Upload
Cleaning up the cut
Upload
Tried to load test but the weight was too unstable
Upload
I used standard wood cutting bits for larger holes
Upload
deep groves formed while drilling - that's a problem
Upload
That's hard to read - 0.1 ounce!
Upload
The second stringer only has six holes
Upload
the weight of both stringers is 0.6 ounces
Upload

I think the density of the second stringer must be higher of the scale isn't very linear at low weights