Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-09-2007, 8:40 PM Reply   
I am new to wakeboarding, this will be my second season. However, i am not new to board sports, I was involved in the Snowboard industry for many years and I have noticed that the wakeboarding industry runs their program a bit differently. Mainly concerning Videos.

Heres why.

Snowboarding- The snow videos would be released at a premier at the very beginning of each season, around October. It would get you stoked for 2 reasons. First, the obvious, to get you amped up to go ride in the following weeks. Secondly, you would get to see all the new gear (boards/bindings/boots/outerwear/goggles) being used by the pros. The same EXACT gear that was just released a month before, the same gear everybody just bought, but has yet to use. This was because the pro's would get/use/test all the "next years gear". They would be riding the 2006 boards during the 2005 seasons. Releasing the "2006 season video" just before the 2006 season began.

It was rad to see the pros out at local mountains riding/wearing "next years gear". Also, the video editors, who are amazing in both industries, would have the whole summer to edit, producing a really high quality video.

In wakeboarding, by watching a few videos (the truth, butter effect, counterfeit...) I have noticed that they are riding the 2006 boards/gear during the 2006 season, at the same time WE are riding that gear. Also, the videos are "as quickly as possible", seemingly hurried, released after the season, making an editors job even more challenging. Most riders get full use out of their gear and probably buy new boards every season or two. which means you are looking to buy, or have already purchased the next years board/gear while at the same time watching videos of the pro's on their "old stuff". Me for example, had 2007 board and bindings (ronix- covin/cell) in my hands while watching the newest video with last years gear. I am watching Danny riding last years board when i should be watching him on his ronix one...

I may be wrong in my thinking, but it seems that snowboarding has got this ONE thing over wakeboarding. I just think that we, as consumers, should be riding the same gear that we are watching on the wakeboard videos ... so that we can wear out our 2007 gear AND the 2007 DVD at the same time... word.