Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (mlzelenik)      Join Date: Apr 2016       04-21-2016, 11:29 AM Reply   
Bit of a loaded towing question for you guys.

So I just posted up as a new member. We have a 15 Supra SE450. 6,900 dry on trailer, assuming 8K when gassed up and gear on board. Current vehicle is a 2012 F150 5.0 with 3.73 gears. Towing situation is about 8 trips per year of 2 hours a piece no real inclines other than on the free way. Boat stays on dock at lake 2 hours away, but will take trips back for maintenance and a few times on local waterways.

I've made the trip twice with the boat now and here are my observations. 5.0 power wise gets the job done, moderate downshifting but not enough for me to feel as if it's being overworked. My main concern is the rear end. in constant traffic at 60-65 I felt a little white knuckle on the steering wheel. Rear end of the truck felt loose and a bit unnerving. Dropping some bags in would obviously help the rear end but with this kind of weight should I be considering stepping up the to 3/4 ton league? Always wanted a diesel but truck is essentially paid off and don't want another payment so I'd be in the market for a used diesel.

Sorry for long winded post. Thoughts?