Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-01-2011, 11:20 AM Reply   
I've had my 2011 for 1000 miles now so I figured it was time to give my thoughts.

The motor:

The 5.0 is a huge upgrade from the 5.4 of old. Horsepower jumps to 360 from 310 and the torque to 380 from 365. The difference is very noticable from behind the wheel its so responsive and fluid through the gears. I'm getting an average of 17.3 MPG via the computer and during a two day span where I did nothing but drive to and from work I got 20.5 again via the computer which I know a lot of you don't trust but the trip computer shows gallons used, miles, run time and average fuel economy so it should be darn close. I'll have to check the gallons used against my fill ups. The tow rating on the 5.0 is 10,000 which is a bit of mystery to me seeing as the 5.4 was rated higher but had lower numbers both in HP and TQ. My guess is Ford wanted the higher numbers for the 6.2 and Ecoboost while keeping those trucks out of the numbers the Superdutys are rated for. All in all I'm super impressed with this motor and am very excited about it.

The Tranny:

Love how smooth it is, it seems to pair perfectly with the 5.0. This shifts are on point and it just feels like your power is always there. The big change is that you can throw it in manual mode and shift it yourself if you wish as well as deselect gears while still in Drive. While in Drive you simply hit the - on the gear shift and in the productivity center the gears show up and you can knock any gears you dont want turn it into a 4 speed or 5 speed if you want and its still and automatic. I actually used this on a trip to Whistler going a little hot into a snowy corner, i just knocked out a few gears real quick and the truck down shifted. So these are two different options.

Running Gears:

I have the 3:55 which is fine by me as I want the better numbers regarding fuel economy. I haven't towed with it yet but based on what I have experienced in my day to day driving I expect it will be better than my previous trucks. The great option in these now is that they have an Electronic locking differential. While in 4x4 mode you just pull out the knob and the rearend locks in. This was previously only available on the FX4 and the Raptor but know is available in all 4x4 models.

Steering;

The new EPS (electronic power steering) is awesome its improves effediency and fuel economy by 4% while making driving noticable better and easier. It tunes itself based on speed which is nothing new to cars but it is to trucks. I'm really loving this feature.

Interior:

The interior is largely unchanged but they have upgraded the leather both in look and feel. The one thing I do not like is the wood grain they used its too light and looks cheesy. i've gron more use to it but still don't care for it. The headliner is gray now which looks real nice and lightens up the cab agaist the black trim.

The navigation is largely unchanged (still and 8" screen) but they did add HD to the Radio which is really cool. If you don't know in HD mode your favorite stations often times have a few different song options going, this is becaue other stations of a like genre attactch themselves to them. The quality is noticably better. Our navigations screen is unparalleled anywhere in the auto industry.

Productivity screen:

This is the biggest change in the interior, this thing is sweet! Its a 4.2" screen in the center of the instrument cluster that has a multitude of functions. I'll mention a few but there are just to many to talk about. Trip mode is cool as I mentioned earlier it lays out run time, fuel used, average economy and of course miles traveled. Fuel economy made has two options instant which shows your average since last reset against your current, this is a bar graph. It also shows your DTE. The other screen shows average over the last 5, 10 30 minutes against your total average. Truck apps is cool it has Off Road display that shows pitch angle, wheel direction, bank angle and shows the drive line in action. Trailer mode is cool too, it will go through a pre trailering check list for you but the real cool thing is you can assign it trailers set their gains and it'll calculate the miles on that trailer for you too. This is all controled from the steering wheel with an iPod like control. There are more things it does but I just don't want to list them all here.

So far super impressed with the new features on the truck and look forward to seeing how it tows in the not to distant future. I'll have this one until July when hopefully I'll get an Ecoboost. I hope this all made sense but if not just ask questions.