Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-24-2005, 3:13 PM Reply   
So, my wife and I bought a new house 8 months ago. Great location (end of a cul de sac), right school district for our newborn, great part of town, etc...all great, except that I can't get the boat in the garage! My last place had a 22 foot deep garage. With my custom swing away tongue, I could get the Nauty in there with about 3 inches to spare in front and back. No luck here, only 19 feet deep.

So...I put the boat in storage. Total pain in the hiney, not to mention it's running me $360/month for covered storage (Orwood much cheaper, but still no openings available there yet). So, I decide that we're going to put it on the side of the house. We clear out a ton of oleanders that we had there, but in a fence with a 10 foot wide gate, and I'm planning to buy one of these to store the boat, they make them in a perfect 12' x 21' dimension:

http://www.carolinacarportsinc.com/carports/regular5.html

So, here's my dilemma...I'm trying to figure out how best to pave the pathway for the sideyard, and not spend an arm and a leg. I've looked into redoing the whole driveway including the sideyard with pavers, and the lowest cost for that is $15k. Not out of the question, but steeper than I'd like to go right now. Second option is to just put pavement in for the sideyard, cheapest quote I've gotten is $5.5k. Quite a bit cheaper than pavers, but not nearly as nice, and still not cheap. I don't know why, but I've had a damn hard time getting pavers to come out and give us a quote, i've only had two that returned my calls, $5.5k was the far cheaper quote.

Last option is to just lay down gravel, though I'm not sure I'd be able to power the boat up the incline through it. this is obviously the least attractive option, though seems as though it would be the most cost-conscious way of doing it.

Here's a few pics of the area in question, we're looking to pave the sideyard up to 20 feet or so behind the gate. Not sure if anybody has thoughts or expertise here, but thought i'd reach out before dropping some coin here. All thoughts and feedback appreciated...

We're looking to pave basically a straight line from the right hand side gate opening (as you look at it) to where it intersects the existing pavement if that makes sense.