Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (kscales)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-06-2006, 7:01 PM Reply   
My wife and I just got into boating and boarding late last year. My Wife got right into boarding while I enjoyed the boat. fast forward to this year and we just bought a new proper wake boat, and I want to give wake boarding a try.

I have been looking at a lot of different boards and have narrowed it down to a few combo's to start with. ( I have never boarded before, please keep in mind)

On Perf Ski they have a 2007 Hyper Light Motive with the Foundation boots for a good deal. And in my local pro shop they have some 2006 models left over that they are blowing out. ( about the same as the 2007 combo)

So my question is, what would be the better choice for a newbie, in overall value and progression as I advance.

2007 HL Motive 144 with Foundation bindings

or

2006 Obrien Player 143 with Link Bindings.

I am 6'5 and weight about 240.

I also want a good line and handle, again to many choices so I need advise on a good one to start out with.

Thanks in advance.
Old    alanp            12-06-2006, 7:09 PM Reply   
without a doubt the motive. it is a continuous rocker board and will be waaaay easier to learn on. dont even consider the player. as a beginner you will be very inconsistent riding it and getting it to pop correctly. however there are many other boards out there that will suit you too, shop around especially on ebay you can get some smoking deals.
any spectra line will suffice. i usually pick my lines up on ebay and buy whatever is cheap(30-50 bucks can get you a decent line). also handles are just a personal preference. i dont like hard handles(carbon fiber etc) b/c when i fall many times the handle will hit my foot and/or board and the soft handles hurt enough.

(Message edited by alanp on December 06, 2006)
Old    alanp            12-06-2006, 7:12 PM Reply   
btw check with your local shop guys, they may have a nice beginner board that they recommend
Old     (kscales)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-06-2006, 7:43 PM Reply   
Hi Alan,

Thanks for the feedback. It was the local dealer that mentioned the Player to me as a good deal and good beginner board..LOL

They also have a 2006 motive in stock, do you know if their are any changes between the 2006 and 2007 motive?

What other board/Bindings would you recommend? or anything I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance.
Old    alanp            12-06-2006, 8:45 PM Reply   
korgae i wrote a long response then my computer froze.
there are no changes from 06-07 in the motive. id buy that board(if the price was right). id also recommend the liquid force omega. both would do you well.
as far as bindings, i ride the liquid force transits and love them. if the are in you budget id look at them. also check out cwb's bindings. they are pretty nice/tech looking.
if your dealer is recommending the player be a little leary of him, he doesnt seem very knowledgeable. of he's just trying to unload the player on some unsuspecting individual.
check the board, binding guide on the homepage(upper left) great resource.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-07-2006, 4:16 AM Reply   
I don't know what your budget is but CWB has some great products as well. The absolute or Transcend is a great board. They are advanced but their tight so it will not affect you. LF does have nice bindings. Also try some of the CWB stuff w/hinge tech. I prefer an accurate rope like the fire jacket very durable. Handles just whatever feel's comfortable in your hand's. I have the Era. If your going to do it you might as well do it right.
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       12-07-2006, 4:51 AM Reply   
The motive is a great board to learn and advance on. Can't go wrong with that. The foundation bindings, however, don't look like they have very good support. See if you can combo with a higher end boot. That Motive will give you years of fun, but those boots won't last that long.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-07-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
The Motive for sure and its Hyperlite just so you know! The biggest peice of advice I give is that you want to get as expensive of binding as you can afford... what I really mean by that is to get as high end of binding as you can afford because bad bindings can cause you ALOT of pain and hurt. Try e-bay or maybe ask your shop how much it'll cost to upgrade the bindings.

I've always said I'd rather have high end bindings and a pos board then the other way around.
Old     (kscales)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-07-2006, 4:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for the opinions, it helps to hear for seasoned riders.

To answer a few questions:

Im really not to concerned with price, but more I want to have a board/ boot combo that is easy to learn on and advance. I have never been on a board before so I agree, i will not know if it is good or bad, and to be honest Im not even sure If I will want to board and or board that often, so the board might become the loaner board for the boat if I do not like it.

If I do like it, well then I am hooked and will most likely want the Ronix stuff :-)

I am going to go with the Motive for sure, it is just the bindings i am now tossed on.

If the Foundation boot is no good, what about the State? or a bit further up the line? Comfort and support is key:-)

Thanks again guys

Korgae
Old     (kscales)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-07-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
Also, does anyone have some direct WWW links to the rope and handle I should be getting or the ones you all like

Thanks again.
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-07-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
I am sure you will be hooked from your first pull Korgae. Paul gave some great advice about bindings. Make sure and get high end bindings. Here is a link to some boot reviews: http://www.wakeworld.com/Boots/ This should answer a lot of your questions. As for ropes and handles you can check here: http://www.wakeside.com/page/w/CTGY/wakeboarding_gear_wakeboard_handles

Hope this helps daddio.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-07-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
I also second the Motive! It is a great board for beginners and for advanced riders as well.

I also second getting some high end bindings. Good bindings make SUCH a difference. I'd look past the state. Maybe pick up some Era's or Proofs if you're looking at sticking with Hyperlite. (I think the Proofs are the best bindings HL has.)

If you go with O'Brien get the Argons or Xenons. They're a little cheaper than Hyperlite.

Good luck!
Old    alanp            12-07-2006, 9:15 PM Reply   
evogear.com has some decent deals in the outlet area.
Old     (kscales)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-07-2006, 9:20 PM Reply   
Thanks guys..

Next question: what are good shops to deal with?

I found everything I want on Wakeside.com and presently I am putting together a list of XMAS gifts that my wife can choose from for me.

Is this place safe to deal with?

I like them because they offer free shipping on everything!

Thanks

Korgae
Old    alanp            12-07-2006, 9:27 PM Reply   
wakeside is good. anything that has a banner on this site will be fine as well.
i personally am a ebay guy. i dont have a shop withing 200 miles of me so im limited.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-07-2006, 9:33 PM Reply   
Wakeside is great.
Buywake.com is great
Boardstop.com is great.
Evogear.com is great.
Theboardshack.com is my personal preference but they don't carry Hyperlite.

With any of the above 5 I don't think you can go wrong and there are others too. Any of them will take good care of you.

Good luck and just remember that you can't ask too many questions! We're here to make sure you don't make the same mistakes we did.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-07-2006, 9:34 PM Reply   
boarders paridise is a great shop too. i personally do most my orders from them. They have a new cash back rewards thing that is quite unique... check it out

IF YOU CAN.... DEMO DEMO DEMO, boards and stuff. this will help alot to figure out what you like best.
Old     (kscales)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-07-2006, 9:57 PM Reply   
Guys, thank you for all the help and thank you for the quick replys.

Here is my XMAS list so far:

I am confused about the line and handle, because my wife is so into it I want a really good line and handle. everything else is for me. well the surf board is for the everyone to enjoy that rides in the boat.

Here is my XMAS list.

Please point out what you think is the best on the list and if you see any stuff I should not get.

Your Shopping Cart
Your Saved Items
actions product quantity unit price total

Straight Line Thermal Wakeboard Line (2007)
:: Color: White

$107.99 $107.99

Straight Line Viper Wakeboard Line (2007)
:: Color: Silver/Black

$99.99 $99.99

Straight Line Bantam DD Carbon Wakeboard Handle (2007)

$119.99 $119.99

Hyperlite Motive / Foundation Package (2007)
:: Board / Binding Size: 144 :: XL

$299.99 $299.99

Hyperlite Landlock Wake Surfboard (2007)

$249.99 $249.99

Hyperlite Special Agent USCG Wakeboard Vest (2007)
:: Size: 2XL

$84.99 $84.99

Hyperlite Step Up Wake Helmet (2007)
:: Size / Color: XL :: White

$59.99 $59.99

CWB Pure / Torq Package (2007)
:: Board / Binding Size: 140 :: 2XL

$349.99 $349.99

Jetpilot Stance USCG Wakeboard Vest (2007)
:: Size: 2XL/3XL :: Black

$89.95 $89.95

Pro Tec Ace Wake Helmet
:: Size/Color: XL :: Matte Grey

$59.95 $59.95
Old     (kscales)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-07-2006, 10:00 PM Reply   
I have to decide:

if I should go CWB or stay with Hyperlite, what helet and jacket is best and ofcouse the line and handle.

Also, what is the point of the Jet Pilot vest that is not CGA? will it float you if you knock yourself out?

Sorry for all the questions you guys have been great, if any of you come to BC Canada( Vancouver area) you have pull anytime:-)
Old     (greg_sa)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-07-2006, 10:45 PM Reply   
As for the handle and line... After a lot of research on the net (reading reviews), I've bought a 2006 Accurate Jacket series line and a 2007 Proline LG1 handle (the leather grip). I would avoid a carbon handle, unless you want to damage your board and boat!

As for the bindings... I have 2006 LF Transits and they are awesome! I would definately reccommend them. I wouldn't buy cheap/beginner bindings.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-07-2006, 10:49 PM Reply   
Korgae,

Just my opinion, but I would look at either the Motive, but replace the Foundation bindings with something else (LF Transits, CWB Torq, Faction, Zeus). My choice would be the CWB Pure and Torq combo. Definately a fun set-up. As far as the vest, I am not familiar with the Special Agent, but since you are starting out definately get a CGA vest. Try a couple on and get one that you like best. Go with the Pro-Tec helmet, and make sure it is the one with the ear covers.

Like MD said, you are going to get hooked right away. Might as well get equipment you like, and can advance with.

One more thing, I would recommend getting a soft (non-carbon fiber, etc) handle. I have the Bantam, and it is a nice handle, just not a great one to learn with. I really like my Accurate Leather Grip Handle. Any of the name brand ones that are wakeboard specific should work fine for you.

Have fun! Nice boat BTW
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-07-2006, 11:28 PM Reply   
korgae,
as you can see there are so many choices out there and it will take time to find what is right for you. my first suggestion is, whenever you get a chance to demo knew boards or try your friends board, do it. also dont be afraid to miss match brands, pick whatever you feel the best on. im 210 lbs and ride a hyperlite state 145, with state bindings, love it. as for line and handle, i have had no problems with SL. make sure your using the proper non-stretch wake line. i own a SL eclipse LE carbon-fiber handle. its very lite but i only use it when i have experienced riders in the boat. so i would choose one that would be less damaging to you and your boat. my vest is a oniell "the law" uscg approved and i found it the best fit for me. i just where my old school pro tech skate helmet for now, waiting for santa. so get some time and start shopping xmas is almost here