Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-30-2009, 3:11 PM Reply   
I just can't seem to get the 360, what am I doing wrong? Do I need to spin faster, carve harder up the wave? All of the above?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o8F9TsmCq4 (attempt is all the way at the end)

note: this was not our normal surf wave, it's normally a lot larger but I didn't feel like filling all of the ballast to get 3 new people up this weekend.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-30-2009, 4:56 PM Reply   
Me either
Old    surfdad            06-30-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
My 2 cents. We've found that a smoother transition and long pocket - with push, is the best set up for teaching the 3.

Timmy, in that video, the Yellow is significantly faster than the wake so you're tending to be on the brakes the whole time. The rear leg heavy stance will make exiting the 3 harder, plus it's almost impossible to break the fins loose.

If I were in the boat, I'd have you try a few things. First, if you had a slightly slower board, I'd try that as my first option.

If that didn't work, I'd try two more things. You are getting a good start, but the last part of the rotation is where you are losing it. You can see how the rotation just seems to stop at about 180 and is then really slow. The first thing I'd have you do is leave that trailing hand in the water longer. As you go to do the rotation, try to focus on rotating around that trailing hand - leave it in as long as you can - hopefully, you'll get a rotation that feels like you over-rotated, then, it's just moderating that length of time that trailing hand is in the water.

Lastly, if that didn't seem to change anything, I'd have you go to a spot slight behind where you want to start the rotation and then bend both legs. Not like squats, but a slight bend in both legs like you're preparing to move quickly. Then shift your weight, place slightly more weight on the front foot, by bending that leg more and compensating by straightening out the back leg a little bit. It shouldn't be like boning on a wakeboard, just slightly more weight forward achieved by bending that front leg a tad.

Doing that will cause the board to take off, but it also does two more things. One is that it sets you up for the exit, where you seem to have the problem. You'll want your weight on that front foot coming out of the rotation to regain your speed. The other thing that it will do for many folks, is to unweight the fins. Rather than carving that slow 360, you'll want to basically feel the board spinning in place.

When you do that first 360, it will feel effortless, the board will just spin in one spot and then the fins grab again bringing you out of the 3.

I hope that helps!
Old    surfdad            07-01-2009, 5:42 AM Reply   
Shoot I forgot one MORE, one last thing to try :-) If none of the above is working for you, try pushing the tail around as you enter the 3, using your rear leg. It's a little tricky, but can help with getting that rotation. What you want to do is push in the direction of the spin, which is counter-clockwise, with your rear foot. The timing on this is a bit critical, you need to hold off until after you've entered the rotation, but while your hand is still in the water so that the "force" of your rear foot is directed at rotating the board rather than just sliding in some random direction.

The surface 3 is hard. We've also found that if you can have someone video your attempts, it makes it much easier to diagnosis where the problem is and then you can work on making changes in just that one area.

You're definately close.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-01-2009, 7:40 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tips Jeff! I am going out tomorrow so hopefully I can get this thing, I have to have this down by the end of the season or I won't be able to sleep this winter! LOL!

Keenen makes it look easy in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPNGVs3DhgA
Old    surfdad            07-01-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
Too funny. The surface 3 is hard and it seems to challenge us! :-) I'm sure you'll nail it soon. I do need to clear up the clockwise/counter-clockwise push with your foot. You're pushing in the direction of your rotation so that will be clockwise. Sorry I can't remember my left from my right! :-)
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-01-2009, 10:04 AM Reply   
I knew what you were talking about. My slower board is the CWB ride, thinking I might take out the outer 2 fins and leave the center for a shot if I can't do it on the loogey, it's kind of big and too slow from what I remember though.

It's all fun no matter what! We also have an ocean skim board that my friend bought, that thing over rotates like crazy though!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-08-2009, 7:35 AM Reply   
Got closer last night, I at least stayed in the pocket but wasn't able to get my weight shifted fast enough. I think I have found the right spin now, just need to work on the weight transfer. I tried 3 times and got to the same spot all 3 times which I think is where I need to be.

I too focused on trying to get some new surfers going before the storms moved in. Got 1 new surfer up and riding and he was starting to get slack in the rope on his first time out! I was very happy about that!