Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old    kent            09-05-2003, 10:12 AM Reply   
Im just curious if anyone has actually heard of wakeboarders that dont ride in pointeless, or have ridden gear that isnt made by hyperlite. Seriously, putting parks down under most improved? having a parks 138 on the top 3 boards twice?
Obviously the pointless guys are some of the forerunners in the sport, but there are a myriad of riders out there killing it. It just fuels my feeling more that we need to get some more big name videos with some fresh faces in it, not the same 7-10 riders...
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-05-2003, 10:30 AM Reply   
Yeah, that most improved was pretty much a joke.
You raise an interesting question:
Is Hyperlite a monopoly?

I think things will change - eventually. The sport is still growing by leaps and bounds and Hyperlite has been the company who is keeping up.
Old    leslisa            09-05-2003, 10:53 AM Reply   
I think you are right. There are so many awesome riders out there that don't get as much face time. I'm thinking it's partially who knows how to do promote themselves and who doesn't.

Just a side note, since I'm a gal, I sure would like to see more girls featured rippin it up too. Kind of give me inspiration (and all of those young girls out there who board), especially since I just started.
Old    kent            09-05-2003, 1:17 PM Reply   
there is no doubt riders that know how to work the business side have a disticnt advantage. Im talking more along the lines of the last 3 videos i got, it was parks, shane, chad, shawn, harf, weinacker and roy were pretty much the only riders, save for a guest apperance from a gregg necrasson or something here and there. i think some sponsors need to step up and get their riders in the videos, like obrien has a relaly strong team right now, jobe does as well.
as far as the hyperlite monopoly, i dont hate hyperlite such as some people. but i see so many people buy a parks board or a byerly every year just because it says the name. people should open their eyes to other brands more, and mabye test a board or two. same with boats, i couldnt keep track of all the kids we had this year through the boat ranting and raving about how sweet the new x-star is.... and they hadnt even seen a picture of it yet.
Old    absolutofft            09-05-2003, 8:35 PM Reply   
hyperlite is just a great company, who makes great products, if microsoft had these problems they would be jolly fat nerds.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-06-2003, 1:10 AM Reply   
Hyperlite is a good company that does a lot for the sport and I think it pays off. It would be really nice to see some other riders in videos. Invisible Cinema is an excellent video with some fresher(?) faces in it. It does have Parks and some big name riders in it, but the main sections go to Lyman, Watson, Ruck, and in my opinion the best wakeskater right now, Aaron Reed. I'm still so disappointed that Aaron Reed wasn't even a runner-up for wakeskater of the year in the poll.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-06-2003, 1:19 AM Reply   
I second that Thane, Aaron Reed is the best skater out there.
Old    wakeboard_chick            09-06-2003, 7:53 AM Reply   
I agree with Lisa about featuring more girls in videos. It would be cool to see not only pros but other girls who can board.
I was happy to see that Scrubs of the South made 2nd runner up in video of the year. All new riders, CWB team, and regional riders. It's a sick video.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-06-2003, 10:36 AM Reply   
If it makes you feel any better, Aaron was fourth in the wakeskater voting.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-06-2003, 10:40 AM Reply   
Yes it does