Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-13-2005, 7:15 AM Reply   
What does it mean to "huck" a trick and it seems to be a negative term? Newbie needs clarification.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-13-2005, 7:28 AM Reply   
A "Huck" would be a trick you land possibly without proper execution, form, or technique.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-13-2005, 7:32 AM Reply   
Oh so basically everything I do then is hucking a trick. I guess expierience over time will cure that?????? Is that how it goes in the beginning?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-13-2005, 8:06 AM Reply   
"I guess experience over time will cure that??????"

Exactly. Usually when you first learn a new trick, it looks kind of hucked. The more you land it, the more it cleans up. Although my Tantrums still look hucked after 2 years of doing them.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-13-2005, 8:09 AM Reply   
Thanks Ehlers Silk. I am sure though as the tricks get more difficult it just takes longer. I wish I could say I have even attempted a tantrum. Peace bro.
Old     (msasser)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-13-2005, 9:54 AM Reply   
when we use it it means you kindof through yourself into it. generally not a trick you can do. maybe just a side definition of it.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-13-2005, 10:11 AM Reply   
too me huck=forced.

when i was first learning backrolls I hucked them a lot, leaving the wake early and throwing them really hard in order to bring my rotation around.

huck also=sloppy.

imo of course.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-13-2005, 11:26 AM Reply   
we used to use the word huck for simply jumping and doing a trick with no negative connotation when we went snowboarding. i guess it's different in wakeboarding.
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-13-2005, 11:33 AM Reply   
I have always used and heard it used as hucking a flip. Like you threw yourself into it. Like a TS backroll and hucking it early. $.02
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-13-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
my opinion (not that it matters): hucked = not smooth
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-13-2005, 5:17 PM Reply   
what thane said
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-13-2005, 5:17 PM Reply   
.. which basically is all the above in a nutshell.
Old     (green_johnson)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-13-2005, 6:28 PM Reply   
hucking in snowboarding has meant to just throw yourself, basically no skill attached, spinning as fast as you can.
Also it means anytrick that just looked to forced, like not smooth and stylie
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-13-2005, 6:33 PM Reply   

quote:

I guess experience over time will cure that??????

NO.

as a dance teacher of mine used to tell me, practice doesn't make perfect...PERFECT practice makes perfect. if you don't learn how to do something correctly, or continously strive to do it more correctly, then if you're hucking it now there's a good chance you always will.

and huckin' definitely seems to be an occupational hazard of tantrums. i'm still huckin' mine - very hard habit to break.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-13-2005, 7:37 PM Reply   
dance instructor? heh heh... that's hucked up.
Just kidding man.
I huck almost all my 3s. I can only land the huckin thing like 50% of the time.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-13-2005, 8:00 PM Reply   
certain tricks have to be hucked like 1080s and big worms. other tricks can either be hucked or thrown big, clean, slow, and styly.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-13-2005, 8:24 PM Reply   
Big Worms??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you kidding me?????????????????????? Have you ever seen Sean O'Brien do them????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-13-2005, 8:28 PM Reply   
i second that dance instructor thing...what is with that!!!

seriously though, my profile pic is a PRIME example of "hucking" a trick...

(Message edited by newmy79 on October 13, 2005)

(Message edited by newmy79 on October 13, 2005)
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-13-2005, 8:36 PM Reply   
hucked doesnt nescesarily mean that it doesnt look good it just means you huck it. its not a controlled rotation.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-13-2005, 8:59 PM Reply   
maybe forced is the best definition.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-13-2005, 9:04 PM Reply   
Stack: I disagree with your ballet instructor.
j/k

I think the first time you land a trick (not smooth) like everyone is saying, it more than likely looks hucked. Practice, repetition, etc....you work past the huck and start landing and executing it with skill and style.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-13-2005, 9:07 PM Reply   
I use to huck rocks.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-13-2005, 9:20 PM Reply   
haha. it was actually ballet, jazz and tap - but who's keeping track?

so does it take 2 years to "work past" hucking a tantrum?

i agree that often a first attempt at a trick looks hucked, usually because we don't know what we're doing. however, just because you do a trick a lot doesn't mean you'll do it better. if you're trying to practice the right things you will, but if you practice something incorrectly you'll only succeed in being perfectly bad at it.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-13-2005, 9:31 PM Reply   
here is an interesting thought to those of you equating it with first learning a trick....

maybe hucked=fear

you sac up and force yourself to do it.

the other thing i would say is sometimes doing too much is hucked....like trying a 7 off of a small wake.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (wakebrad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-14-2005, 2:19 PM Reply   
I would say "hucked" would mean it takes a lot of effort. Most people would agree that having style partially means making things look effortless and hucked is contrary to that. But I think it also has good connotations. If you were to take the biggest cut you could possibly take and throw a HUGE (insert trick here) you could say they hucked it meaning they went out of control speed and height.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-14-2005, 3:02 PM Reply   
I would say whirlys and big worms are huck tricks. I pretty much classify it as a inverted spin without the handle pass. Since you don't pass the handle you need to throw the flip with enough force to spin without the handle pulling you back down before the spin starts. A lot of people who try whirlys at first don't throw (huck) the handle across there face at first and it pulls them into a crazy tantrum. Huck has many different meaning but I don't think it always means ugly. I do whirlys and big worms but i would still classify them as huck tricks.