Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-07-2008, 7:32 AM Reply   
Just wondering if anyone rides or boats on either of those two lakes?

Thinking about taking the boat down there to a buddies house and am looking for some info on where to stay away from. Haven't been there in probably 8 years and I heard they dreged north of Lowes Bridge.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-07-2008, 7:39 AM Reply   
My folks have a house on Freeman, I used to ride there all the time. I was there for a week this year during the 4th of July.

Basically, if the shoreline is steep you are ok, if the shoreline is flat, it is very shallow.

Some of the shallow spots have stumps. There are definately some spots that are better to ride than others based on wind direction, but reality dictates that in the summertime you have to get up really early if you want decent water. We used to be out on the water about 15 minutes prior to sunrise, and be done riding by 9am. After that it was too choppy thanks to the steel seawalls and too many idiots on the water to ride safely, as the lakes are pretty narrow.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-07-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
Thats kinda what I figured Tim. I'm used to dawn patrol for riding...so no biggie, but I'll probably be doing just more cruising and relaxing than anything.

Any idea on how far up Shafer a ski boat can go? Are there channel markers?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-07-2008, 10:08 AM Reply   
I've only been up the river on Shafer a handful of times, on other peoples' boats, so I couldn't really give you a good answer. I'd recommend calling people at the local boat stores, Poncie's or Tall Timbers and ask them.
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-07-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
It's been a long time since I was there, but I used to stay at a cottage that was about a 20 minute boat ride up river from the main lake. As you went further up river, you will see less boats docked so that means time to turn around. Water is good in the am and should be good during the week.
Old     (brianmiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-07-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
Oh yeah that is at Lake Shafer
Old     (michaelvincz)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-07-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
yeah man, i work on Shafer @ Indiana Beach in the ski show. Lived here all my life. lake got kinda screwy the last couple seasons. I'd be more than happy to come out and show you around and where its safe but I work everyday. check out tall timbers north on shafer, near lowes bridge and ask for BEN. tell him Michael sent you. He may be working at the Freeman store but he can help. Or possibly a kid named Tim. Check it out or swing by the Ski show area and ask for Michael. you have the Air Nautique right... when are you talking about coming down here?