Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-17-2008, 1:22 PM Reply   
I need to drill 4 holes in my Skylon Swoop Tower in order to run some some 14 gauge speaker wire. The diameter of the tower tubing is around 1 7/8 to 2 inches and the tubing is aluminum.

The holes I need for the rubber grommets are going to be 9/16's of an inch.

My question is: Am I going to be taking away from the structural integrity of the tower by making four 9/16" holes that will be evenly spaced around ten inches apart?

Thanks for you help.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-17-2008, 1:27 PM Reply   
wouldnt it be better to drill one larger hole and run all the wire out the one hole?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-17-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
Speakers are Wetsounds Double Up's...I will need four holes.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-17-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
you should be fine. I drill many holes that are 1/2" in diameter in towers and have never had a problem.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-17-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
4 9/16th holes??? Sounds kinda large to me, I can pull 2 14ga wires through a 7/16th hole with grommet.

If it were me, I would drill one hole in between each pair, and pull out 2 wires from each hole. May not work for every application tho, just a though.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-17-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
Q: Am I going to be taking away from the structural integrity of the tower by making four 9/16" holes that will be evenly spaced around ten inches apart?

Answer No! you can drill much larger holes and not still not have a problem. I would say its more of where your drill the holes than how large and how many.

Example I dont think drilling a hole right on a bend or @ a high stress point in the towers a great Idea. I have never heard of a tower having any problems due to a large hole for speaker wire.
The aera's where you need to drill wont be a problem
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-17-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
Thanks everyone

I got out some scrap metal and the actual speaker wire and confirmed that I will be able to use some 1/4 inner diameter grommets that will only require a 7/16 hole in the tower.

Might have to use a little vaseline te greez up the grommets.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-17-2008, 3:40 PM Reply   
Might have to use a little vaseline te greez up the grommets

Pick up a small tube of silicone/dielectric grease.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-17-2008, 4:41 PM Reply   
YOU DO NOT NEED 9/16 HOLE!!!!!! good god you could run battery cable through there. 1/2 should be plenty and you can get the rubber gromets to fit in.
Old     (rockkrawler82)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-20-2008, 8:37 PM Reply   
Do not drill, because you will cause it to oxidize the metal, causing rust!
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-20-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
Steve, how else would you get the speaker wires to your amp?