Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-11-2006, 5:24 PM Reply   
disclaimer: I know most of you guys don't like jet ski's but my gf just has to have one and I can't afford a boat so I think it'd be nice to at least get a pull than no pull at all.

I've been looking at jet ski's for sale online and a LOT of them say "rebuilt" or "new motor" why is this? do the motors on ski's go out a lot? How many hours is a lot for a ski? and which ones are most reliable? I just want to get as much info as possible before I purchase one...thanks
Old     (wiltok)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-11-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
Ask your question here: www.pwctoday.com
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-11-2006, 7:11 PM Reply   
There are boats for sale on this board as low as $5'000. Get a boat even if it needs a little work.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-11-2006, 9:38 PM Reply   
Jet Ski's are the ultimate fat person water activity. They can't waterski, they can't wakeboard or even surf. But they can ride a jet ski.......
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-12-2006, 3:17 AM Reply   
I assume that benjamin just wants some opinions about the topic of his post and not the usual "PWC suck ass" comments hence the:

"disclaimer: I know most of you guys don't like jet ski's but"

This isn't Wakeboat World or I hate PWC world but is in fact Wake World and I think his topic deserves some responses that are on topic.

PWC are used all the time in wakeskating etc. I would rather wakeboard behind a PWC than never so give the guy a break.

What years are you looking at? If they are older lots of the older PWC engines were 2 stroke motors. I don't know if this holds true on PWC's but on 2 stroke dirtbike engines you should rebuild the top end fairly frequently. I changed the top end on my dirt bike every 1-2 years depending on how hard I was using it.

Lots of people do jack their PWC motors up. I don't know if the owners just abuse the hell out of them or what. Lots of people forget that you have to keep lots of 2 stroke oil in the oil injector resivor to keep the oil supply good. Lots of people don't know how to operate them and you see people sucking up the bottom of the lake when they go too shallow or run over tow ropes and numerous other damaging situations when they let their idiot friends use their PWC.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-12-2006, 5:04 AM Reply   
Buy a 4 stroke jet ski. They last longer than the 2 stroke skis and are more reliable.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-12-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
Ben,
Jetskis tend to suck up weeds in their cooling system. Jetskis take in water from the lake and cool the motor with it. On occasion the cooling system becomes clogged with weeds, not letting any fresh cool water get to the motor and kabbam - needs a new motor. Yamaha's tend to be the most reliable, and 100 hours on a ski means it getting to be time for a top end rebuild. 4 stroke jetskis tend to be more expensive, and also more expensive to maintain, however, the cost of oil for a two stroke gets pricey too.

Bryan,
I am not fat, I can waterski, I board about 100 hrs per year, I can surf. When the lake gets all choppy around 1pm, hitting a few rollers on my ski holds me over till I get to ride again. When you generalize people, you look ignorant.
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-12-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
My family has had many jet skis.
Our Sea Doos always had problems, but our Waverunners have not had any problems since we bought them, except for the ones we caused.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-12-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
Holy crap... 100 hours a year?! that's like freaking 300 SETS!!!
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       09-12-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
My parents have had a Kawasaki jet ski since 99 with no problems but they bought it new and honestly it hasnt been used much since we got a boat.

If you decide you would rather have a boat I have one for sale that is extremely reliable and might be in your price range. I would be willing to meet you in Austin with it if you were ineterested and didnt want to make the drive to Houston.

http://www.gcwa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4118
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-12-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
I don't recommend a PWC for pulling a wakeboard. First off, in many states to be legal it would need to be a 3 person PWC: drive, observer and a spot for the rider.

Second, a smaller PWC has a hard time going 20 MPH. They can do 60 MPH just great, but trying to hold 20 MPH can be a real bitch.

Third, they don't have any tracking fins so it is real hard to maintain direction control when the rider makes a hard cut.

4th, they don't make much of a wake. Great for pulling past slides and such, but you aren't going to get much air from the wake.

As for why the rebuilt engines: 95% of the time a PWC is operated it is running at WOT. The engines really take a beating. They are also really easy to sink.

If you have any serious thoughts of using a PWC for towing I would recommend the largest four stroke you can find.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-12-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
well it looks like I'll have to gain some weight so I can fit in with the "fat person water activities" lol.

I would take a boat over a ski any day of the week, but I just can't afford one right now. I'm only 22, enlisted Air Force, and I don't have a truck to pull it. So a ski seems like the next best thing.

Thanks for the helpful opinions, I guess I'll look at yamaha.
Old     (bob_l)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-12-2006, 1:08 PM Reply   
I had 2 jet skis (still have 1 - Yamaha FX Cruiser HO 4 stroke) and a boat. As mentioned, check out the PWC web site but to add to the answers about your specific question (rebuilt motors) - most folks I know do not do any maintenance or proper winterizing to their skis thus some of the problems. Many let them sit up all winter without fogging the engine, stabilizing the gas, etc. and expect them to crank up and run WOT in April. Others do not do the proper oil/fuel mixture on 2 strokes and others do not check/change the oil/filter on 4 strokes.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-12-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
I have owned about 12 Jet Skis from Yamaha Waverunners GP 1200's to Seadoo GTX etc....If thats what your girl wants then get one..you can always find deals out there. I would say that anywhere from 98-2003 you can find good deals....generally people buy these and rarley use them....so you can find a nice seadoo that is 4-5 years old with maybe 50 hours on it. I would bever buy new. I have also never had a problem with any that I had. I would reccomend trying to purchase 2 though. one is just not as fun as riding with another person. Oh and you will want a 3 seater so someone can hold the flag. I would reccomend a Seadoo GTX I used to board behind one
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-12-2006, 1:28 PM Reply   
No, I tend to agree. If you're wakeskating or boarding behind them great. I was just venting my frustrations. Like everywhere, around here we have a lot of stupid people who mess up the water. Boats included. Recently, I've just noticed a lot of heavy people on them. And just like a wakeboard boat, the heavier the jet ski, the larger the wake...
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-12-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
Daniel B, didn't mean to generalize, just poking a little fun. I understand jet ski's cater to a diverse segment, including small children. I'm glad you have the etiquette to ride your jet ski in rough water. Last time out, it was a windy morning and we went to the only calm section of the lake to ride. We were joined by two jet ski's and a 25' wakeboard boat pulling a tube...I guess I would prefer to do those activities in rougher water, they obviously prefer calm water. We were on a public lake and they have just as much right to be there as I do......

(Message edited by lionel on September 12, 2006)
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-12-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   
Honestly Ben I think it's awesome you're looking for a jet ski so you can be on the water. Recently a friend on www.pdxwake.com was looking for a $2,000 3 seater jet ski. I told him he was crazy and would have a hard time finding one. Well he found one, now he pulls skaters, has fun, and runs people back and forth between the dock and the boat tie up parties. Good luck and keep on having a good time on the water....