Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 15, 2006

Old    dvdcadd            09-09-2006, 5:27 AM Reply   
My 12 year old daughter has started wakeboarding this summer with her friends at a lake in the Poconos. Which is cool with me except, we own a house at the shore and we like to spend time with our daughter. It seemed like she spent more time in the Poconos then at the shore this summer. She's really into wakeboarding and I think its something my son and I would also really like. So, my question is what would be the best boat for wakeboarding in the bays behind Brigantine, LBI , and Ocean City?
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-09-2006, 6:22 AM Reply   
anything big and deep.
I used to run around in Avalon Nj and I would be Very concerned about getting close to or going out Townsend inlet in my Vride.
If you can stay in the back channels and out of traffic anything would do. You don't need an inboard, but if you stick with watersports you will want one.

just make sure that if you buy used get "freshwater cooling" on the motor. if you buy new the dealer should be able to steer you in the right direction.

as for brands...
everyone makes a quality boat, it is just prefferences.
Old    dvdcadd            09-09-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
mike,
thanks for your input. I've looked at Yamaha's HO jet boat, but a couple of people have told me that they don't really throw off a good wake. Then I looked at mastercraft. I really liked the Xstar and the X30 and the X2, but when I talked to neighbor at the shore, he told me that those boats would have a hard time in the bays. He told me to check in to a sea ray or any bow rider with a deep V haul. I'm not really sure if those boats are designed for wake boarding. None that I know of come with a ballast system. It seems like it would be easier to sell the shore house and buy a lake house, then I could just buy a mastercraft or a malibu and be done with it.
Old     (elo)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-09-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
master craft has a saltwater series. also theres a ton of rivers near by that people ride on. http://wakeboardnj.com/ has some spots to ride that are local to you. if you post on nj riders 2006 in the wakeboard discussion section youll get some good input on what boats would be good. i have heard the xstar is good is chop and i believe the supra launch is decent too
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-09-2006, 8:28 PM Reply   
I've got an x2 that i use in the bay and it gets real choppy. I'm not gona tell u its a comfortable ride through when its choppy but it's not bad and the boat takes it fine. My boats not a salt water series but it has closed cooling. It has 100 hours and 0 rust, 0 problems. The best thing would be an x45 as its like the same hull as an x2 but 4 feet bigger. They both have pretty deap Vs (for an inboard) The xstar doesnt have as deep a v. The best thing would definately be a salt water series x45 and if not x2
Old    dvdcadd            09-10-2006, 5:05 AM Reply   
Thanks, Elias and Manny. I think I've got it narrowed down to either an x45 swaltwater series or an x30 salt water series.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-10-2006, 8:49 AM Reply   
THere are other choices The Tiges, Centurions and Sangers all have deep V hulls all the way to the back
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-11-2006, 6:41 AM Reply   
Closed cooling is only for the block. you will still need to rinse with salt-away for the exhaust.
Old     (dubsac)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-12-2006, 6:00 AM Reply   
David, I just bought a Saltwater Series X-45 and it handles the chop here in Biscayne Bay quite well. On Sunday we went round trip from Miami to Key Largo and it was very smooth.