Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    exdeckboater2            04-09-2003, 7:30 AM Reply   
For those of you with Boatmate trailers, where and how is the spare tire mounted. I need to pick up a spare since this trailer didn't come with one and haven't seen one around with it mounted on the trailer. My trailer is a 2002 single axle Boatmate.
Old    bcw            04-09-2003, 7:35 AM Reply   
On the drivers side of the trailer under the bow. It is mounted with an extra bracket.
Old     (jtfrisco)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-09-2003, 7:50 AM Reply   
Actually on my Boatmate trailer the spare is mounted on the passenger side on the side of the trailer, not sure if it different though since I have a Moomba.
Old    leggester            04-09-2003, 8:00 AM Reply   
You can mount a spare either way.

Pick up an Overton's, West Marine, Ski limited... ... catalog. Add on spares are most easily mounted on the Y of the trialer, vertically.

Mine's like Jason's. Passenger side, on the yolk of the trailer, vertically so the spare is by the hull.
asd
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-09-2003, 10:12 AM Reply   
I am also looking for a spare tire for my Boatmate (Moomba) Trailer. But I am have great difficulty finding the wheel/tire. The tire size is 225/75 R15 on a five lug wheel. I cannot find ANY wheel/tire combination that fits the trailer. I would like to get matching rims for the trailer but at this point will accept anything and just put a cover over it. I have checked Overtons, Ski Limited, USBoat, and West Marine. Nothing. Any suggestions.
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-09-2003, 10:37 AM Reply   
Check my profile pic.. 01 outback w/ Boatmate trialer..

As for the tire size. Try going to a Goodyear tire store they can hook you up with the right wheel/tire combo
Old    pearlywhites            04-09-2003, 10:38 AM Reply   
A.P-after our spare tire was stolen last summer, I found another at Les Schwab tires-new rim and tire cost me $103-i also checked with my dealer and they quoted me $250-hope this helps.
Old    exdeckboater2            04-09-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
My trailer has 6 lugs and the local trailer place quoted me $113 for tire mounted on a white spoke wheel. I know it doesn't match, but it is better than sitting along side the highway.
Old    exdeckboater2            04-09-2003, 11:37 AM Reply   
If you find a wheel you like, you can get the tire from Tirerack.com for $70 plus $13 shipping.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-09-2003, 1:46 PM Reply   
Belinda,

Thanks for the info. I figured I could get it at a "tire" store but wasn't sure of the price. I was hoping Overtons or some other big marine order company had them but I just can't seem to find the right tire / lug combination. I agree with Sam, I don't really care what it looks like as long as I'm not stuck on the side of the road somewhere. I figured I would just put one of those black tire covers ($10) on it.
Old     (oshelton)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-12-2003, 6:26 AM Reply   
If your BoatMate trailer did not come with a spare mount, it is only because your dealer ordered it that way. Typically, our mounts are welded to the starboard side frame rail just behind the bow cap. The bow cap is the triangular plate on top of the two frame rails under or just behind the bow stop. If your BoatMate trailer does not have a spare mount, a bolt on mount that is painted to match your trailer can be ordered directly from BoatMate for $35 + shipping. The wheels & tires can also be ordered directly from BoatMate. Prices vary dependant on wheel/tire combination. We accept VISA/MC & can also ship C.O.D. Our number is 423-884-6586. Please have your trailer serial when you call so we can identify the color and wheel/tire combination.

Owen Shelton
BoatMate Trailers, Inc.
wen@boatmatetrailers.com">owen@boatmatetrailers.com
www.boatmatetrailers.com

Old     (oshelton)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-14-2003, 4:41 AM Reply   
After posting the information above, I'm thinking that the best route would be to order the spare mount from your dealership to ensure the correct mount is ordered and installed in the proper location. Your dealer should be your source for any information pertaining to your boat and trailer.

Owen Shelton
BoatMate Trailers, Inc.
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-14-2003, 2:05 PM Reply   
why would the dealer not order the trailer with the spare tire mount. Cost?
Old    exdeckboater2            04-14-2003, 2:16 PM Reply   
Probably so. I have bought 2 new boats and neither have come with a spare.

According to The Supra site, it will cost me $295 to order the spare and bracket plus labor to weld it on. To order it from Overton's is $136(tire and wheel) plus $19(bracket) plus $30 shipping or $186.