Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-02-2003, 9:30 AM Reply   
Bent my prop last week and replaced it with a new one went out this Sunday and still have a vibration, I think the shaft is bent after the strut, I will mic it tonight I hit a stump at about 5 mph. so my question is how hard is it to pull the shaft and what special tools are needed. Is it hard to get the coupling off the shaft and I have the PSS shaft seal how does the shaft come out of it.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-02-2003, 1:37 PM Reply   
anybody
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-02-2003, 2:21 PM Reply   
it's not too hard to pull the shaft, just kinda scary. the shaft is held in to the coupler by a couple of set screw style bolts. the coupler is attached to the tranny with 4 or 5 bolts. the knee bone is connected....

once the shaft is free from the coupler, slide it back through the hole in the hull. spray some windex or binding lube even on the strut bushing so it'll slide through easier.

i changed my strut bushing while i was in there but your boat looks pretty new, might not need it.

the pss seal has a ring with 2 allen screws that you'll need to remove. once they are out, or loose enough, the pss seal ring will slide off the end of the drive shaft when you're sliding it through the hull.

aligning the engine is also highly recommended once you're done, but it sounds like you might be ok if you just hit a log at 5mph.

your local shop might be of some help when you order your new shaft. i didn't need any special tools, prop puller but you've been there
Old    dliguori            06-02-2003, 2:22 PM Reply   
Sorry, I have no idea but I'll bet it's a bitch!
Old    mbsteve            06-02-2003, 3:33 PM Reply   
dude, that sucks, where were you at when you hit
Old    oldschool            06-03-2003, 7:12 AM Reply   
If you have a tapered shaft on both ends you'll need to use a deepwell socket to pop the coupler off. Here is a drawing of how to set it up:

By placing the socket in between the coupler and tranmission, but against the shaft, when you tighten the coupler back onto the tranmission the shaft will pop out of the coupler. Much cheaper than buying a coupler puller.
Old     (tcaton)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-05-2003, 9:31 AM Reply   
Shafts in and all is fine again. My dealer wanted 850.00 to do the job they said it would take 5 1/2
hrs. I did it my self and checked the coupler for alignment and start to finish 1 1/2 hrs it was so easy also MB uses the A.R.E. shafts that are made right in town got it for 170.00 so total cost 170.00 much better than 850.00 thanks for all the help.