Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    sierra56            05-27-2003, 9:11 PM Reply   
Hello
I am looking for a used boat for wakeboarding. What do I need to consider? For instance:
V-hull vs. tri-hull
I/O vs Inboard vs outboard
Horsepower
I have no idea...any tips would be sooooo appreciated!
Thank you!
Tori
Old    steveaz            05-27-2003, 9:30 PM Reply   
What kind of spending limits are you working with?

Absolutely a "V-hull", I doubt anyone will argue with me on this one.

"I/O vs Inboard vs outboard"
There may be some differing opinions on this, however the vast majority will agree on an inboard being the best for a wakeboarding only application. However there are other considerations, mostly involving what other types of activities you'll be using this boat for and what type of waters you'll be navigating. To make it even more confusing, if you choose an inboard, you then have to decide whether you want a direct drive, or a V drive. Your budget may depict this.

Horsepower...well, I'd personally say atleast at a bare minimum 250 hp for a decently weighted boat. Torque curves, gear ratios, and prop configurations will also have a lot of impact on the performance of the boat.

If you can answer a few of those questions and supply a budget, you'll get more than enough good feedback.

Best of luck to you and enjoy whatever you boat you decide on.

Steve
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-28-2003, 1:39 AM Reply   
what Steve said, but ive only got 240 hp with my i/o and it does fine with weight but it also has an expensive prop for an i/o (high five). Like Steve said, if your going to be doing anything other then boarding an i/o is to be considered (V8 minimum)but if all you ever plan to do is board get the v-drive in my opinion, i wouldnt even recommend a d drive just go straight to the v and you can use it for other activities since youll have i/o room with v drive wake shape. Be ready to pay the extra 10k though for that v drive.
Old    sierra56            05-28-2003, 11:21 PM Reply   
Thanks guys!
I guess the v-drive is out. I would like to keep my costs as close to $10k as possible. I live in Northern Calif. and have seen several Ski Nautiques in my price range. I've noticed, however, on this web site that there are some "non ski type boats" with set ups for wakeboarding. I'd like to get something that will also be good for putting around in and for skiing as well. Some of the old fogies and younger set will most likely want to ski.
So I'm glad to at least know that a V-hull is the way to go. I have sort of figured on an I/O (vs inboard and definitely NOT an outboard????)for versatility? It sounds like, whatever I get, I will be able to do some things to make the boat more "wakeboard-able?" I refer to Steve's comments on torque curves, gear ratios, etc... I don't know much (yet) about all that stuff but can you tell me what that will do for me and what's important for boarding? I assume: high speed quickly, to get wakeboarder out and on top of water fast, without dragging - right? And what is a normal speed once you're up? I used to ski and went around 28mph...is wakeboarding the same? or faster/slower?
Thanks again guys, I sincerely appreciate your time.
Tori
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-29-2003, 1:09 AM Reply   
For wakeboarding youll want a lower pitch prop for pulling power to get up with alot of weight or just to make it easier since youll be falling alot if your trying new things. Even if it goes over redline at full throttle with the prop AS LONG AS YOU KNOW THIS AND DONT GO FULL THROTTLE OR LET ANYONE DRIVE YOUR BOAT FULL THROTTLE. High speed will be the last thing on your mind unless your stuck on a large body of water with a tower or pylon and lightning is stricking all around you. 19-21' is optimum for boarding, go bigger and you need a monster tow vehicle and it will be harder to maneuver/store, go smaller and it will be rougher and have less room for crew dogs. Like i said above get the V8 for whatever and you should be much happier.
Old    steveaz            05-29-2003, 7:21 AM Reply   
Whoa, hold on a minute. First of all, before you go yanking someones arms out of the sockets, you do not need to get a wakeboarder out of the water "fast". Nice and easy, this is nothing like pulling a slalom skier. Do a search, I know there's a lot of good info on this site about getting up on a board for the first time.

I can't comment much on the I/O's as I've always had inboards. One thing I would suggest though is that if you're buying an I/O that has been converted to a "wakeboard boat", check it out very carefully as most (not all) of the people that have done this, have no clue about the sport prior to making their accessories purchase and installing that tower.

Good luck,
Steve

Old    leggester            05-29-2003, 7:34 AM Reply   
hehehe, from what I've seen on these boards, neither do most inboard owners.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-29-2003, 10:06 PM Reply   
dont realy know what your talking about Steve, no one recommended anything "fast". All wakeboard boats are propped (if thats a word) low for pulling power with weight or just because of how often you fall it makes it easier on the motor getting up so often. My recommendations are from my wakeboarding experience over the last few years not others recommendations.
Old    steveaz            05-29-2003, 10:31 PM Reply   
"I assume: high speed quickly, to get wakeboarder out and on top of water fast, without dragging - right?"

Not refering to anything you said Bob, I know you know what you're doing
Old    sierra56            06-01-2003, 8:38 AM Reply   
WOO HOOO!!!! I DID IT!!!! I bought a '94 Ski Centurion LAPOINT TRUTRAC with a 310hp EFI engine, low hours...bimini, 10' pole with speakers, a cd player....VERY VERY CLEAN. My 14 y/o son is STOKED! Oh, and ....so am I...hehehe. Just wanted to thank all of you for your input!
I live in the Sierra foothills East of Sacramento and there are LOTS OF LAKES up here. I can hardly wait to get this baby out on the water! See ya'all out there!!!!
WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!! Thanks again!
Signed, the mild-mannered Tori}}