Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old    stillstandin            05-05-2005, 10:04 PM Reply   
Anybody get their new issue today...It lists what it says are the "Worlds best Wake boats"..I guess if you don't sponsor riders, and pay WBM a bunch of money for advertising, you dont qualify. Maybe Im a bit biased, because the Sanger V215 wasnt listed...but c-mon, I demod a bunch of boats, and it is far better than some of the boats that were listed....I see Ski Supreme is also a victim of WBM's standards..
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-05-2005, 10:20 PM Reply   
I like how they come out and state that if you don't have one of the approved boats that you are gonna suck at wakeboarding. Just put in Retrospect and watched Gator and Byerly doing tricks I'll never be able to do, and with stretchy rope and a johnboat sized wake. The only thing those people at WBM care about is selling ad space to boat manufacturers. I'm letting that subscription run out.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-05-2005, 10:39 PM Reply   
Due to the fact that I like to buy a good product at a fair price... and find that some of the higher prices are due to sponsorship and advertising... I will not renew my subscription and look to these types of forums to use as my buyers guide for future purchases. The people that post in these forums are the end user and use the products in everyday average conditions... That is what I am interested in. I am also interested in manufacturers spending money on research and development... not flashy ads.. or pro rider sponsorship... I also like customer service... so when I see the Moomba Reps... Fineline Reps... Monster Tower Reps.. etc reply to their customers on these forums... That is what I think money is best spent... I want companies to spend money where I am going to benefit... I have a subscription... and I have not received my latest yet... can't wait to read it.... Funny thing is... I test drove every boat known to man.. and before putting my order in... I called Matt Hickman directly and discussed my criteria... and I bought what I liked the most... and it was a boat that he liked too.... but you will never see my boat on the "Top" list....
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-06-2005, 5:24 AM Reply   
There was a similar article in waterski mag a couple of months ago and it was similar to this POS article... just glorified advertisment (it even says 'special advertisment section' in the top corner).

I was let down, I was hoping for something with a little bit of meat to it. Even the leading interview with the boat designers was just a plug for their product.
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-06-2005, 5:31 AM Reply   
If the designers didn't plug and try to sell their product they wouldn't have a job... I found a couple of boats that didn't make it the cut, looks like the surfing ballast was too much for them to handle.

Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-06-2005, 5:31 AM Reply   
second one
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-06-2005, 6:33 AM Reply   
"If the designers didn't plug and try to sell their product they wouldn't have a job... "

Thats true, but the magazine should not represent the article as something else than an advertisement.

There could have been so much more they did with this. Showing the wakes was a good baby step, but they could have shown a rider comparison in the photo for height and distance. Also, by using a little math, you can show the degree of the ramp to provide more information than some rider saying 'its steep and you get alot of boot from the lip'. IMO it would have been better to say 'the ramp is an average of 48 degrees.. 4 degrees steeper than all other wakes tested'... Look how Car and Driver tests cars, this is not new ground.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-06-2005, 6:57 AM Reply   
so does anyone have a copy of this article they can post on here?
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-06-2005, 7:38 AM Reply   
I just stopped by the magazine store... I did not buy it as my subscription should be in the mail... but they missed my boat on the list... my 1975 Kodiak Inflatable with 7.5hp.... I have mine sacked out for optimal wake performance... Seriously... what is wrong with the wake it produces... here is a shot of it from shore... clean and big... and that is at a line length of 70-80ft...
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-06-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
Chris I agree with 100%
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-06-2005, 10:06 AM Reply   
WBM really sucks lately... I have not received this issue yet but I'm putting my subscription off anyway.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-06-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
so what boats made the list??
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-06-2005, 10:25 AM Reply   
Here is the list:
http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/article.jsp?ID=36758

Although not all the boats were talked about that were on the list.
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-06-2005, 11:29 AM Reply   
Yep.. the article says 'ratings'. What ratings, what scale.. its just garbage. Nothing but a fluff advertisment piece.
(step down from box)
Old    jzwake            05-06-2005, 11:55 AM Reply   
WBM is getting hard to look at.
Old     (rynron1722)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-06-2005, 11:59 AM Reply   
Besides Alliance, what other Wakeboarding magazines are out there?
Old     (tdeneka)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-06-2005, 1:29 PM Reply   
Not one Nautique . . . . classy.

Probably had nothing to do with the lack of Nauti adds the last few months.
Old    powerstroke            05-06-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
there are nautiques listed just no picture. scroll down a little but.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-06-2005, 2:35 PM Reply   
If you look at the top of the page for each boat it actualy says "special boat advertising section". I was pretty excited when I first saw the cover of the issue, but once I started reading it I was less than thrilled.

I was really looking forward to see what someone other than the manufacturer had to say about the boat I own. What was printed in this section was nothing other than the text straight out of the manufacturers brochure. Apparently the manufacturer of my boat only bought a page for each model. Other manufacturers had two pages for each boat. I guess Malibu has deeper pockets?

It would be nice to have a pubilcation that was objective and gave a true review of the products they review, but I suppose it doesn't make sense for them to bite the hand that feeds them. After all, it's the advertisers who pay the bills for Wake Boarding magazine. I'm sure they don't pay the electric bill off of the $20 per year we pay to read their book full of ads.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-06-2005, 4:10 PM Reply   
its one thing to have an ad look like a story, but to have it be your cover?!? thats kinda messed.

that said, the web page link provided does mention sanger, supra, ski supreme, svara..etc

maybe they dont like s's
Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-06-2005, 8:12 PM Reply   
My subscription to WBM ran out a few months ago, and now I have to buy toilet paper.