Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (g_miller)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-24-2003, 6:58 PM Reply   
Ok, to everyone out there who have posted about ballast, THANK YOU!

I used a rule 3800 and a 1.25 scupper to fill 2 600# sacks and 1 550# sack (under 4 min). These pumps are pretty hard to prime, but with the scupper priming is no problem at all. The worst thing about the 3800 is finding a place to mount it below the waterline and still fit a 1.25 ball valve before the pump. I used 1.25 pvc to the pump and from the pump to the manifold. After the manifold everything is 1" pvc and 1" clear tubing.

My system is not fully automatic. I have 1 pvc ball valve to each sack. I figured I could upograde easily in the future to the flowrite valves.

To empty I used 1 rule 1100 on each rear sack and placed the sack right on top of the pump with the pump attached directly to the bag. The pumps stay primed from the pressure and this works great.
For the ski locker sack I did the same thing only I used an attwood 750, its a little slow compared to the 1100 so I will replace it soon. Each sack has its own thru-hull for drain (lots of holes, but it was really easy and looks great).

For wireing I ran the fill pump straight from the battery to a toggle under the dash with a 20 amp fuse. The empty pumps are wired kinda ghetto, I ran them with a cigarette lighter adapter with a switch on it to a 3 way into my 12v outlet(one for each pump). I will deffinately change this as soon as I have a little more cash and figure out a clean way to install seprate switches.

I have tested this system 3 times now and have had no problems with it. I used aerator pumps because they are cheap and fast. (plus I already had 1 1100 and the 750). I think that the only things I need to do are to clean things up and drill 1 thru hull for the ski locker bag. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll have pics soon.

Greg