Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old    260searay            10-19-2005, 3:33 PM Reply   
I have an 05 team and am thinking about picking up a closeout 05 substance. How do they compare?
Old     (whirlynuke02)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-19-2005, 3:49 PM Reply   
theyre different. the substance pops more wheras the team is a little faster but doesnt pop as much. i would say its a good upgrade because its still going to be relatively fast while still getting a lot of pop. the team is a great board for learning stuff cuz of the continuous rocker, but the substance is going to let you go bigger. lots of people say the substance just feels "right" because its the perfect blend of everything. i rode both and thats just my opinion of the 2
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-19-2005, 3:49 PM Reply   
I don't know how they compare man, but you can't go wrong with a substance. I've been riding one for the past 3 years....well when I actually ride, I do.
Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-19-2005, 3:50 PM Reply   
I found that they are completely different boards. The Team (continuous rocker), rides much faster and allows for a more consistent pop that will take you out into the flats. It is a very light board with rather soft landings.

On the contrary, the Substance (3-stage) is a slower board that will give the rider a more abrupt pop that is typically wake to wake. When ridden correctly, a rider will be able to get a higher lift on the Substance. I also found that landing on the Substance was a little rough on my aging knees.

Though many will likely disagree with me, I prefer the Team over the Substance. I do, however, prefer continuous rockers versus 3-stage boards.

Peace be the journey!
Old    260searay            10-19-2005, 3:51 PM Reply   
Yeah thats cool. I saw on beyondwatersports site the 05 is 299, when you click order it says 193 so i called right away and of course they are sold out.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-19-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
Aging knees? How old are you 24?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       10-19-2005, 4:22 PM Reply   
the landings are rough in the flats a bit but the pop is def geared towards wake to wake, so if you can perfect your wake to wake edge it booosts ya good, I really like mine, combined with transits = ultimate combo (for me anyway)
If you like your team and like continuous boards Id say the substance is going to be a much different ride, but the pop is still consistent if you can edge consistently
Old    260searay            10-19-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
I really dont know if i like my team haha. I have only rode for one year and just got my wake jumps down and a grab. In spring when i can ride again i want to try a 180 and some more grabs. So basically i have never really ridden any other boards to know if i like it or not. There isnt anyone else around who rides and there isnt any shops what soever around here to demo. Maybe i will just ride my team another year i dont know. I just get the itch for a new board when winter comes and i cant ride so i just go online and look at the pretty new boards.
Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-20-2005, 9:24 AM Reply   
You are correct, Ed. I am only 24; however, after years of basketball and playing tennis through college, my knees have taken a beating. Running on hard courts for 25 hours for the better part of 4 years will do some serious damage on anyone's joints, mine included. I do not feel old at all, but it is evident that some parts of my body have taken a beating over the years - hence, "aging knees."