Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-07-2006, 10:10 PM Reply   
What 3 THINGS would you change (/adjust/contribute) about wakeboard graphics to make them better for the next model year??? GO!!
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-07-2006, 10:38 PM Reply   
I'd make 'em cleaner. More plain. Less is more...for me.
Old     (kevin_rx20)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-08-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
I second Thane's less is more statement.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-08-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
I'd like the special Jenna James edition. And when it gets wet I want her clothes to disapear.
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-08-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
I'd like to see boat editions where the graphics matched certain boats.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-08-2006, 9:39 AM Reply   
I already change my wakeboard graphics.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-08-2006, 4:06 PM Reply   
I'd fire the guy that came up with this year's Premiere graphics. I was about to post a picture of the 136 up, but it is so beyond ugly that I would have to kick my own butt for contributing to the ugliness of society.

In full seriousness, (although the Premiere graphics seriosuly suck) I would wish that the graphics were just one big sticker on each side (or at least on the top) that you could leave on or take off if you wanted. Underneath could be blank black, white, or another solid color.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-08-2006, 4:28 PM Reply   
That would probably be Danny Harf. I doubt Hyperlite will be firing him anytime soon. C'mon now it's supposed to be old school skate style like Vision skateboards.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-08-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
I like this year's Premier but the last couple years have been hideous.

Tim - I changed my graphics too. I painted my sbustance flat black on top. Looks pretty good with the Camo transits.

David - I would say that's the stupidest idea I've ever heard but.....
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-08-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
Jenna Jamison
Old     (mendomalibu)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-08-2006, 5:07 PM Reply   
i want a all chrome one bling bling
Old    cwbabsolute1080            03-08-2006, 5:41 PM Reply   
I thikn all chrome would be sick.. maybe a lil too flashy but cool.. and inovative.... maybe a chrome board with a the CWB Zues's with the chrome hinge.. would look good! What about a see threw board.. will that ever be possible.... crazy but would be cool....

I deff. like the idea of less is more... like hyperlite 3ds from this year looks good with just straight lines and theres some other boards that look good too that are very plain....

The premier is pretty ugly but very retro and if people recognize that its oldschool type than everyone will appriciate it's graphics more
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-08-2006, 6:08 PM Reply   
I understand what that it's supposed to be conjuring up old school vision boards and 80's art in general. But it doesn't take away from the ugliness factor (of the Premiere, not of Vision boards) and it doesn't make me appreciate its graphics more. Had the graphics been old school, visionesque, but actually decent looking, then I might have a different opinion.

And imo the 136 has by far the worst of the lot. The other two, while still contributing nothing to graphics or wakeboarding in general, are average for most Hyperlite boards. (The thing is, none of them do a very good job mimicking the Vision graphics, you can tell that's what they wanted to do but I can also tell when my 2 year old nephew draws a firetruck.)

Back in 03 I posted about the poor quality of the graphics of the Hyperlite Boards. I actually ended up hearing from both Paul O'Brien and one of the art guys there. That was cool of them but it didn't make me respect their graphics more nor has my opinion changed.

I was an art major for a year so I'm more interested in board graphics than the average joe. But if someone loves the graphics and is glad they're on the board, then all the power to them.

(Message edited by joshugan on March 08, 2006)
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-08-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
lol at the jenna one

i'm with the clean, clean lines and more all black, flat, gloss, less is more
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-08-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
i like the way hyperlite went out on a limb this year and used leather on the ERA. i think it would be cool if companies started getting more creative with top sheet materials and trying stuff out. Just the other day i bedlined to top of my old Free Motion Swinger and it looks tight! i tried to upload pictures like 3 times but they're still too big, i'll keep trying though. I really like the flat matted tops better than the shiny glossy ones too. the glossy tops always get faded easily when they're out in the sun too long.
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-08-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-08-2006, 6:38 PM Reply   
i bet that thing weighs a metric tonne!!!!!!
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-08-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
thank God it finally worked! i think more stuff like this would be really cool to see. also the bottom of the board is still smooth, i masked off the sides, the inserts and the FM logo, and the rest is history.
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-08-2006, 6:42 PM Reply   
nah. the board is really light to begin with, and the bed liner itself is pretty thin. almost no weight added.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-08-2006, 6:52 PM Reply   
One board I wouldn't change is the Watson, I think LF nailed that one. Murray's new graphics are cool too, and so is the new Roam. I don't like the huge company logos on the bottom.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-08-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
I second the 06 Roam graphics; pretty sick. I also like the innovative HYPERLITE-MURRAY reverse-o-matic logo for 06. Pretty cool stuff.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-08-2006, 8:16 PM Reply   
They make a clear board. The company is called tubelite. I remember reading a review about it by your WW president.

This looks like maybe it's their site? http://www.tubeliteproducts.com/Save/wakeboardtowers.htm

Here's a pic of one on WW. http://www.wakeworld.com/contests/2003/tubelite.asp
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-08-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
Oh ya. Hyperlite 3ds series looks the best, and liquid forces Watson series.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-08-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
Why are there no Carbon Fiber boards? I mean, we all desire a strong light board? Carbon would provide that, though most of us wouldn't spend the $900-1500, I’m guessing, for one. (At least not me)

I think a Black Carbon Fiber board would be pimp.

Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-08-2006, 9:27 PM Reply   
I wish that you could fully customize the graphics on your board before ordering...send in a graphic or some pictures, they apply, coat, and you have your 100% custom board or skate. More money for sure, but who wouldn't like to try that?
Old     (brandon_lee)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-08-2006, 9:41 PM Reply   
They have tested carbon fiber. They start out really stiff, then after a few rides are perfect, then usually end up breaking soon after. A pure Carbon fiber board doesnt have the ability to withstand constant flexing and contracting like fiberglass.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-09-2006, 2:39 AM Reply   
Has anyone seen a graffic and where like wow that is awsome! I really cant think I have, sure there's been ones I like, eg. the original gonzalez, last years militant, the substance a while back, the byerly's are pretty dam cool but I'm just never like, "woah thats sick!"
the snowboard companies just seem to have it more dialed.
I have a murray and the underside is pretty cool but the topside looks cheap, and thats with all the sparkles, lol. Of course, only my opinion.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-09-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
I love the Fish... Super-clean, yet has a sick polynesian design. Only like 3 or 4 colors on the entire board.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-09-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
The 06 CWB Trancend Platy is as sweet as it gets IMO.The board looks great.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-09-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
Craig... have you checked out the Platinum line of CWB boards? Both the Absolute and the Transcend have clear topsheets, and you can see the silvery-colored fiberglass weave underneath. Pretty sweet.

In addition, Iconn worked like crazy on getting the weight of wakeboards down and found that a lighter board resulted in greater harm than good. The greater the mass of an object, the more inertia effects it. Thus, when you transferred force into the board (jumping the wake, spinning, or inverting), it would slow down more quickly than a havier board! Think of it this way... if you have a 1/16 lb. weight on the end of a string versus a 2 lb. weight and swang them around in circles, the 2 lb. weight would require more force to get moving, but would spin for FAR longer and faster than the smaller weight.

No, I would not consider being a high school science teacher. Ha.
Old     (jwr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-10-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
I gotta throw my 2 cents in, I think the last three premeire board designs have been sick, the 05 was my fav by far, but the jagged blocky look of the 06 is awesome too. And I loved the 04's HL logo. I think hyperlite comes out with some great graphics, and I think the 05 premeire is one kick ass design.
Old     (leykis1o1)      Join Date: May 2005       03-10-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
i really dont like any of the graphics on most boards..what are these companys smokin...the only one i like is the 2002 Hyperlite project
Old     (wakeecuador)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-10-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
I got my watson.. reaaally simple and cool.

flat black, with bright black logos... put some stickers on it to feel like a PRO.. and you are done!
Old    cwbabsolute1080            03-10-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
PS3 Graphics are real tight although they look like that one snowboards graphics
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-10-2006, 2:53 PM Reply   
thane, thats what i like to hear!

homebrew custom graphics are the way to go!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-10-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
The CWB PURE in black is also a clean lookin board. One of the better ones IMO. I like them clean and simple as well more room for your sponsers.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-10-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
PS3 is a direct knockoff of the Burton Blunt. Cool graphic, but it is Burtons.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-11-2006, 4:08 AM Reply   
how could they be a rip off if the PS3 was released at the same time. How could they know what burton were going to do?
Old    zcarnage            03-11-2006, 6:34 AM Reply   
What do you think of this?
Upload
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-11-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
looks like a bowling alley.

That's still pretty cool.

I think I always liked Hyperlite's FencePost version.
Upload
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-11-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
I really like this year's watson and shane boards. I really like that plaid graphic, and I like both the concept and look behind shane's graphic.

In general, board graphics I don't like are either unoriginal or totally crazy. Like, there was a period of time with liquid where they had the craziest graphics...just like multi-colored swirls and such (maybe ca. 2003).

If anyone is into skate graphics, I'd recommend the book "disposable." In general, It will give you a whole new appreciation for the graphic artist and original work. I always appreciated a nice looking graphic, but this book made me pay even more attention to this stuff, and appreciate those that are truly original (in any industry).

Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-11-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
Chef rules!
Old    zcarnage            03-11-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
Craig; Is that because they are as heavy as fence posts?

Thats a Waketech, not a Hype in any case.

Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-12-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
NEWSFLASH: OG brHanley rules!